• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People never make enough gravy!

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do people never make enough gravy? We were at a friend's for Canadian thanksgiving and the gravy was slammin. But of course, it ran out during the meal itself, nevermind having some for the leftover turkey sandwiches.

There is always tons of turkey, but never enough gravy.

K

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
I love the gravy also. A lot of people make the gravy out of the juices in the pan, sometimes there just isnt enough juice
frown.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What is wrong with your friends? We generally have too much and have to freeze our leftover gravy.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
What is wrong with your friends? We generally have too much and have to freeze our leftover gravy.

I dont know. I'm asking myself the same question.

Should I ditch them in favour of gravy smart friends?

K

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I dont know. I'm asking myself the same question.

Should I ditch them in favour of gravy smart friends?

K

It depends.

If they do the turkey right and keep good liquor on hand, it would probably work out better if you adjusted their gravy capacity. Evaluating new friends based on their gravy-IQ is kind of sketchy, largely because you never know what they'll get wrong. The turkey should be fine of course - I've not met the fool who could ruin a turkey but get the gravy right. But the liquor and side dishes are another matter entirely.

Tread carefully here, and if you have doubts, use a pro/con chart to assess the situation.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW - if you brine the turkey beforehand and add a bit of stock to the pan (for the aromatics) while roasting, you should have plenty of juice to work with.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
It depends.

If they do the turkey right and keep good liquor on hand, it would probably work out better if you adjusted their gravy capacity. Evaluating new friends based on their gravy-IQ is kind of sketchy, largely because you never know what they'll get wrong. The turkey should be fine of course - I've not met the fool who could ruin a turkey but get the gravy right. But the liquor and side dishes are another matter entirely.

Tread carefully here, and if you have doubts, use a pro/con chart to assess the situation.

This is wise. Do not be tempted by the quantity of sauce over the quality of the bird (I'm assuming OP wouldn't anyways).

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, the turkey was good, sides were good, booze was (always is) good. Some of us did contribute on the sides and booze though. I just dont understand how there is always too much turkey, potatoes, veggies, but never enough gravy!!

Thomas, I'm coming to your house for Thanksgiving.

Maybe I should do a spider chart, or some sort of weighted average evaluation or KPIs or something to asses my friendships

K

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gravy quality is inversely proportional to gravy quantity.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

Not necessarily the case every time. For an operation that does up two or more birds at Thanksgiving, quanitity and quality should go hand-in-hand.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

I understand that there is a fond limitation, but if you know that gravy is needed you should be finding a way to handle that ****. Fry off the neck bones and make some gravy supplement off that **** or something.

K

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not what she said.

pajames

Reaction score
A few days before Thanksgiving I buy some turkey wings and necks and make a bunch of brown turkey stock. From that and the drippings you can make as much gravy as you like and have stock leftover to freeze for later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads