1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

People fainting at funerals

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Bouji, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Bouji

Bouji Senior Member

I find this very rude.

2. tiecollector

tiecollector Distinguished Member

I find this very rude.

Just don't knock over the urn.

3. JBZ

JBZ Distinguished Member

Just don't knock over the urn.

or the coffin

4. JetBlast

JetBlast Distinguished Member

It is rude, considering most of the time people hurt themselves so the ceremony has to stop and on occasion the paramedics have to come in.

JB

PS Bouji, you're in Belgravia? I envy you. Pfft.

5. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Distinguished Member

I've never seen it happen. Must be attending the wrong funerals.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Did a Miss Universe die?

7. ratboycom

ratboycom Distinguished Member

I remember some random guy who was at my grandpa's funeral fainting. No one knew who he was he just was there. This actually happened at the wake too. I had to help cary the guy at the wake out. Speculation (and smell) says the guy shit his pants too that is if that wasnt the cause of his "fainting."

8. jett

jett Senior Member

I find fainting in general to be very strange. The only times it has happened to me was when my body was severely overheated and a bit dehydrated after spending too long in the desert and one other time when I took a hard hit to the head while playing football. Each time I quickly recovered awareness. I can't imagine fainting without some kind of external physical influence, fainting because of your emotions seems impossible in my experience.

9. cldpsu

cldpsu Distinguished Member

Yeah but when has it truly been voluntarily? People are finding it rude as if fainting is a voluntarily action? Purposefully becoming dehyrdated? I really don't think they have intentions of fainting. It is rude to have bad table manners and people exhibit those lack of manners by rebelling what they were taught or having been taught nothing. I can't imagine people fainting to cause a ruckus. Maybe the concept of death hit that random guy hard and out of emotional bombardment came his fainting incident. Who knows. I wouldn't be so cruel though as to look at him from my spot in the church and say "How rude...".

10. Maharlika

Maharlika Distinguished Member

In some cultures, fainting, screaming, moaning is expected. In China for example, some families hire professional cryers during funerals. In Latin cultures, if none of the immediate family cries or faints during a funeral, it would be suspect. Not everyone live like the Windsors during Princess Diana's funeral.

11. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

It would mean a lot if there would be a collective fainting on mine. Sort of like doing the wave in the bleachers, but instead of standing up they all faint back.

12. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

Do you have issues with it?

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Distinguished Member

Yeah but when has it truly been voluntarily? People are finding it rude as if fainting is a voluntarily action? Purposefully becoming dehyrdated? I really don't think they have intentions of fainting. It is rude to have bad table manners and people exhibit those lack of manners by rebelling what they were taught or having been taught nothing. I can't imagine people fainting to cause a ruckus. Maybe the concept of death hit that random guy hard and out of emotional bombardment came his fainting incident. Who knows. I wouldn't be so cruel though as to look at him from my spot in the church and say "How rude...".

+1

Unless people are faking it, this is a pretty ridiculous thread. I'd kind of be honored if someone was sufficiently overcome to faint at my funeral.

Regards,
    Huntsman

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

Fainting at funerals--can you imagine anything more Edward Gorey-esque Victorian?

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I fainted several times in the days following the death of someone very close to me. If you don't value family or human life, I see how it can be rude. If you have any basic level of decency and understanding, it would be easy to see that it's completely uncontrollable and requires sympathy, not disdain.