• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People do not care about clothes

Status
Not open for further replies.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ernest,

Some people just don't give a flying **** about clothes, just as you might not give a flying **** about porcelain dolls. It couldn't be an easier concept to comprehend, thus I do not know why we must engage in 3 pages worth of text to discuss this simple subject further.

Jon.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I was being serious. Are we vain? Insecure? Obsessed?

Probably a bit of all three. Helmut Lang, in the latest GQ, essentially states that his essential obsession with clothing stemmed from his being made to dress differently, and feel self conscious, about his clothing. Other fashion designers (though not all,) people interested in fashion to the point of in becoming a neurosis; we probably have something a little tweeked in our pysches.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because I don't think that people who aren't obsessed with bargains are morons doesn't mean that I can't find them myself. Anything else to add, boy?
Well said. It seems a certain someone creates these threads to engage in some ego masturbation. I'll tell you why I wear Boss despite the fact that I know the difference between it and ultra high quality lines. I live in a small northern Ontario city and finding bargains (or even regular prices) on quality clothing is an option that does not exist. Period. My only recourses are long and longer trips to Toronto or Ottawa or the Internet. I've been making use of the Internet but it's hard to build out an ultra high quality wardrobe being a John Wayne-esque 6'2", 245 lbs. The only real stores around here is a store that primarily sells Boss and one that's more traditional. I buy Boss because I like the cut -- I'm willing to live with the relatively lower quality -- but if I could easily buy stuff like Oxxford or whatever up here I'd be wearing it. Oh, and on the subject of Faconnable. I'm not terribly impressed by it. I have some stuff but I wouldn't say the quality is any higher than Boss. I don't mind Faconnable but I don't go out of my way to buy it.

Dutch Master

Reaction score
As a designer ( I prefer clothing artist ) let me add a little thread. In my twenty years in the business we have seen a dramatic demise of dressing in general and civil interaction in particular. This was the exact reason I was the originator of Dress-up Thursday, a national effort that received it's share of press in 2000. The retailers didn't get it....although there are exceptions......they don't get a lot of things. In my traditional upbringing in The Netherlands, dressing appropriately for every occasion was a given.... Our current interest as a Forum is the result of our interest beyond the basics of covering ourselves with cloth and look decent. That puts us at probably 5% of the population. Creating an individual STYLE with expert information researched and discussed with others makes that percentage MUCH smaller. We are clothing afficionados, who enjoy our interest, hobby or passion, whichever applies. The clothing you purchase should be about intrinsic value and enjoyment. It is an issue of pride.......and security within yourself.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
How can someone pays... or Nike shoes at $150 ?
What's wrong with Nike?

Granted I typically buy mine at the Nike Outlet for far less than $150, but I find them to be far and away the best athletic gear and I like the styling of their crosstrainers and their workout, athletic, casual and golf clothing.

Even the Jordan brand stuff is pretty cool in my book. Gotta love the jumpman.

Bradford <-- swoosh addict

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ernest,

Some people just don't give a flying **** about clothes, just as you might not give a flying **** about porcelain dolls. It couldn't be an easier concept to comprehend, thus I do not know why we must engage in 3 pages worth of text to discuss this simple subject further.

Jon.
May be because this is a forum about clothes?

And because you may like to understand why other people undervalue the importance of clothes ?

You do not use porcelaine doll 24/24H wheras you do with clothes.

Dolls do not change the behaviour of people, the clothes you wear will.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and on the subject of Faconnable. I'm not terribly impressed by it. I have some stuff but I wouldn't say the quality is any higher than Boss. I don't mind Faconnable but I don't go out of my way to buy it.
What have you from Faconnable?
Albert Goldberg Suit, shirts and cachemire sweater?

Where is it made? Italy? Scotland?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ 30 Nov. 2004, 8:35) I like jeans  but I will not wear a jean of $15 (bad quality) or a jean of $150 (marketing trap).
Who's to say the $150 jeans are a marketing trap? Mine have lasted longer, and make me happier, than $35 Levis 501s. I'd have liked them even if they were a no-name label.
And what about a $100 one?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess you have never seen a Albert Goldberg suit or shirt otherwise you would'nt compare them with Boss. More fashionable? What does it mean? How can a suit or a white shirt be fashionable?
As someone who actually knows, and is not just f**king around. Â Faconnable is sort of like a French Brooks Brothers - preppy a la francaise. Â They actually had a store in Beverly Hills for a while, which closed - I assume because no one cared for the style. Â Boss is a much more directional brand, and appeals to a much wider demographic. Â The quality of Faconnable products is a little higher, but still comparable to Boss products in the European market. Â If you can't tell the difference and appreciate them, then I understand why you are unemployed. Â BTW, your picture is still not up in the members section Ernest. Â What's the hold up.? Â We know your mom has a digital camera.
Where are made the faconnable stuff you saw? Are they in ALBERT GOLDBERG LINE? I do not think because you would have noticed that they were far better than Boss and better than B&B (which is only a us brand) What are you talking about? What is the relation between my thread, you exemple and the fact I do not work? What is your job. Are you such an important man to be able to feel so superior because you work? How much money do you make? $100 000 ? $200 000 or a poor $40 000?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aw, c'mon j. Â The guy wrote this in response to a perfectly civil response:
Quote:
May be if you were less on forums, you could have more times... False as for less money you can find much better if you are a little smart and aware of where to buy.
Can't an Asian brother get a little justice?
What is the problem with my reply? Is it not possible to find good stuffs at good price without spending your life in shops if you just know where ans when to go ? Don't forum take you time you could spend to do anythingelse (like searching bargain if you complain not having TIME to find good prices?) ?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality of Faconnable products is a little higher, but still comparable to Boss products in the European market.  
Do you think that Isaia is better than Boss for a suit?

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Gaul of that guy.

Read the second line again, it's not addressed to you, and the first line seems in jest to me, but then again I'm not already pissed off about it... step back, count to ten...
this is the well known asian touchesness...

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we get this thread back on track, or is the goal here to see ernest explode on our computer screens?

Fact is, some people don't care about clothes in the same way that some people don't care about the kind of car they drive. "It's just transportation." Some people obviously think the same way about clothes -- they want something reasonably priced, reasonably good looking and reasonably reliable. To wit -- perhaps that's why the Taurus, the Accord and the Camry as such good sellers. Well, many of these same people (read: 99.9% of the US population) probably feel the same way about clothes. Think "dockers."

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your job. Are you such an important man to be able to feel so superior because you work? How much money do you make? $100 000 ? $200 000 or a poor $40 000?

Unfortunately, closer to the lower end. Starting academics like to pretend that we like to be poor, but I'm not saying no to my salary raises.

Yes, I feel superior to you because I actually make a living and contribute to society, while you seem to have a profound lack of shame in leaching off the charity of others (i.e. people who work and pay taxes so that you can sit on your lazy ass. If I was French, I would like to have the privilege of kicking you ********** every single day for my pains.)

Is it not possible to find good stuffs at good price without spending your life in shops if you just know where ans when to go ?

Don't forum take you time you could spend to do anythingelse (like searching bargain if you complain not having TIME to find good prices?) ?

My point was that despite having a job, and posting on the forum (generally more useful posts than your "I bought 10 faconnable suits on sale. Too bad none of them fit,) I can still find better bargains than you will probably ever be able to. Ironically, I actually acquired this knowledge indirectly because I had a job...

My other (more important) point was that there are reasons people like and buy Boss other than ignorance. But that concept seems to have gone over your head. Maybe you should sit on your leopard skin bed in your big ass suits and ponder that mystery of life.

Yes, I know that Albert Goldberg line of suits. As I stated before, it is a little better than Boss, but in the same category, and since you mention it, far inferior to BB Golden Fleece suits, which are made in Brooklyn by Martin Greenfield, a terrific tailor and manufacturer.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we get this thread back on track, or is the goal here to see ernest explode on our computer screens?

Fact is, some people don't care about clothes in the same way that some people don't care about the kind of car they drive.  "It's just transportation."  Some people obviously think the same way about clothes -- they want something reasonably priced, reasonably good looking and reasonably reliable.  To wit -- perhaps that's why the Taurus, the Accord and the Camry as such good sellers.  Well, many of these same people (read: 99.9% of the US population) probably feel the same way about clothes.  Think "dockers."
This is not the same case as many people do not drive and the others do not drive 20hours per day...

95% of people are dressed at least 18h per day. Doesn't it make a huge difference with the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads