People do not care about clothes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Actually, I have a job and am hopefully going places, can chat on the forums, and still manage to find better deals than you, trust me on this last one.  

I remember being quite amused when you were all so proud of your 30% and 40% off deals.  I hardly ever pay retail, used to get most of my clothes for free or next to free (having a stylist/buyer girlfriend has it's perks) and still usually pay less than 45% of retail for anything.  And these days, with Filenes Basement a 10 minute ride on the subway away, I usually don't pay anymore than 20% of retail on anything.  I can pick you up an Kiton tux for 1/3 the price.  Want it?  Actually, I'll charge you $300 for the aggravation.  Just paypal me $1700, and you'll get a $4500 Kiton tux in a 40R.

Just because I don't think that people who aren't obsessed with bargains are morons doesn't mean that I can't find them myself.  Anything else to add, boy?

2. AJL

AJL Senior member

Oh jeez...looks like another 18 page Ernest Fest in the making (just contributing my part).

Hey Ernie,

Shocking as it may seem, many people just don't give a shit about clothes much beyond being appropriately attired and not looking (at least in their eyes) like a jerk. Not everyone is as vain or obsessive as you & I and some of our other friends here at Camp Styleforum.

3. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

LA Guy, that was worth the price of admission.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Yeah. Why is that, anyway? Did I miss a thread on why we all care so much about this that we would discuss it so often? I don't know if the topic ever came up.

Why do we care?

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Hmm, I guess it is difficult to get some American brands of jeans in Europe, but trust us when we say there's a substantial difference between your off the rack $35 501s and $150 PDCs. I don't even want to get into the hypocrisy evident in the entire rant, of course he probably doesn't understand what that word means.

6. LA Guy

As this begins, I want it on the record that I did not start the flamewar. Some people you just can't talk to. That's the way he want it. Well, he got it.

7. j

Actually, you did/are. He's not accusing you of much and it's not a flamewar yet. Settle down, mate.

8. LA Guy

Aw, c'mon j. The guy wrote this in response to a perfectly civil response:

Can't an Asian brother get a little justice?

9. j

The Gaul of that guy.

Read the second line again, it's not addressed to you, and the first line seems in jest to me, but then again I'm not already pissed off about it... step back, count to ten...

10. j

BTW, dammit LA Guy, you're making me defend Ernest. Don't put me in this position.

11. AJL

AJL Senior member

Originally Posted by AJL,30 Nov. 2004, 6:03
    Not everyone is as vain or obsessive as you & I and some of our other friends here at Camp Styleforum.
    Yeah. Why is that, anyway? Did I miss a thread on why we all care so much about this that we would discuss it so often? I don't know if the topic ever came up. Why do we care?
    Not sure if you're being facetious or not, but if not, I would respond to your question by restating, because we are vain and because we are obsessive. Because we place a high degree of importance on our appearance, and because we obsess over minutae like knot dimples and pick stitching and shoe welting methodology and a whole slew of other things that most people are basically unaware of and/or could care less about. We are dandies (or at least wannabes), we are freaks, and these are the common 'threads' that bring us together and keep us here.

12. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

I actually have learned (quickly indeed) to (1) appreciate the art of fine tailoring, and (2) because it makes me more physically comfortable to wear well-fitting well-made clothes. I could live in my Oxxford suit -- but a fused suit feels like a ton of bricks on me.

13. j

No, I was being serious. Are we vain? Insecure? Obsessed? It would be an interesting topic for discussion. A sort of meta-discussion of discussion, and then we could find some more meta-minutiae to discuss. Sorry, I'm having trouble staying serious tonight.

Then again, you use the words vain, obsessive, freak; but I don't see why our deep interest must necessarily be such a negative thing. Perhaps it is a pride we take in presenting ourselves respectfully for the situation and others who must see us, or the small satisfaction, kept to oneself, that details of one's clothing are absolutely perfect, even if not noticeable to the observer. Or it is self-expression. Or all? I imagine it is different for every person answering the question.

14. truthhurts

truthhurts Senior member

I appreciate good clothes but don't look down on people who choose not to wear them. I choose not to study chemistry and beg forgiveness from those who got past orgo101.

15. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I have a deep appreciation for people who wear a suit because they want/need to wear a suit--and that's all it is for them.

I, of course, can't adopt that attitude, and don't want to...but there's something refreshing about an individual who takes a minimalist approach to the things that matter less to that person. Perhaps they put their energies into cars or golf or whatever.

There are areas I try to simplify in my life, but clothing isn't, and won't be, one of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.