• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People are terrible at recycling

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The system for organizing trash here is pretty simple. Garbage goes in cans, paper and cardboard go in a blue box and all other recyclables (plastic, metal, glass) go in a green box. Yet every time I go to drop off my trash I see some moron has mixed them up. I completely filled up the paper box with cardboard one day, only to come back 10 minutes later and find someone had jammed five wine bottles in there. How stupid can you get? I also routinely see people in the street throw McDonald's wrappers and gum into recycling bins and newspapers in the trash, even when they're right next to each other. The problem, afaik, is that when recyclables are mixed together like that they are thrown out rather than re-organized; it's just too much effort to sort through it all.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In San Francisco we have these trashcans downtown where the top section, a little cage, is for recyclables and the can below is for trash. Having these sorts of things make us feel like we are a good city full of conscientious people. Problem is that the garbage men, now known here as "Recologists" (WTF?) come by, slide out a panel on the bottom of the recycling cage and let it all fall down into the garbage. Oh well, we still feel superior.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
The system for organizing trash here is pretty simple. Garbage goes in cans, paper and cardboard go in a blue box and all other recyclables (plastic, metal, glass) go in a green box.

Yet every time I go to drop off my trash I see some moron has mixed them up. I completely filled up the paper box with cardboard one day, only to come back 10 minutes later and find someone had jammed five wine bottles in there. How stupid can you get? I also routinely see people in the street throw McDonald's wrappers and gum into recycling bins and newspapers in the trash, even when they're right next to each other.

The problem, afaik, is that when recyclables are mixed together like that they are thrown out rather than re-organized; it's just too much effort to sort through it all.

WTF? Those are worth 20 cents a piece if you take them back to the beer store around here!
facepalm.gif

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I was recently informed by my garbage men that wood is not recyclable. Oops.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
In San Francisco we have these trashcans downtown where the top section, a little cage, is for recyclables and the can below is for trash. Having these sorts of things make us feel like we are a good city full of conscientious people. Problem is that the garbage men, now known here as "Recologists" (WTF?) come by, slide out a panel on the bottom of the recycling cage and let it all fall down into the garbage. Oh well, we still feel superior.

The Bay Area peoples are enlightened!!!!11!!

phreak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new employer (a bank) goes through sooo much recyclable material and just throws it all away. I was actually laughed at when I asked where the paper went. "Uh, the trash. It all goes to the same place." I'm gonna get support, figure out logistics, and then bring it up at the next opportunity.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
ffffuuuu.gif

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm a religious recycler. Probably my finest habitual domestic skill.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my street the local government is so fucked up that only the even numbered houses get to recycle. Those of us on odd numbers just get large wheely bins.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pvp20110405.png

Originally Posted by Blackhood
On my street the local government is so fucked up that only the even numbered houses get to recycle. Those of us on odd numbers just get large wheely bins.
One would hope that they expect people on the odd numbered side of the street to take their bins across the street for pickup. Maybe they just didn't tell anyone.

turboman808

Reaction score
Seeing how I live by the water and have all sorts of critters in the back yard I just toss all my leftovers off the balcony. I may not make my neighbors happy but those ground hogs, possum, raccoons and skunks sure are. But I got my own version of recycling.
smile.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
pvp20110405.png

Uhm, a hippie throwing himself in front of a bus if I don't recycle is NOT an incentive to recylce.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Supposed to put my food scraps into separate (that cost money) plastic bags - I just put them into the (that also cost money) regular trash bags. This country is literally built on landfill and trash so who gives a ****, I won't be living here and I hope my progeny are smart and rich enough to get out if they're still here. Nobody should crucify me for throwing biodegradables away however I want, they should focus on not letting peasants have 10 liter trash bags with which to use to trash things they don't need to. Multply all of this if you want to know how its gonna be like with your new ruler, China.

henrikc

Reaction score
I recycle. Paper and cardboard in one trash can, food etc in a biodegradable bag (provided free of charge) and the rest goes in a regular plastic bag. I'm supposed to recycle metal and glass as well, but I have to admit that I occasionally throw it with the regular garbage, unless I can recycle old bottles and get cash for them. (It's like $0.2 per bottle, but it's enough to make me recycle them)

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
My preconcieved notions are occasionally congruent with reality!!!!11!!

FTFY

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads