Pens

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, May 30, 2004.

1. yfyf

yfyf Affiliate vendor Affiliate Vendor

For cheaper pens, I really like the Lamy's. I actually prefer pens with a fine nib but a bit of scratchy feel to them, something more similar to a pencil than a liquid ink pen. I think this is tantamount to blasphemy among the pen lovers though?

I've tried Rotring, while I like the design, the ink flow was a bit screwy. Same for a Cross ATX I tried too. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just bad luck and faulty pens?

The Faber Castell in bamboo posted earlier was beautiful.

2. Wrenkin

Wrenkin Senior member

This thread is disgusting. They're fucking pens. I use the Sanford Uniball Onyx. It might retail for two entire dollars. Myself and Bernard Tschumi laugh at the ridiculousness of three figure pens.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/08/ma...tschumi&st=cse

[​IMG]

Seriously dude. And while we're at it, what's up with all these expensive shoes I see around here? I just get the velcro wants for walmart"”easy to use, good traction, and if I wear them out, it's no biggie at $6.99.

As for Tschumi, he's an architect. His needs are probably different than someone taking notes in longhand. I don't see why I should care what he thinks.

3. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

From my knowledge no. Since all fountain pen inks are all water based with essentially just dye, excepting cleaning agents, etc. added in.

However there is a whole spectrum of ink colors available. There is a book, The Ink Sampler that has most every single manufacturer's ink, and the pH, shade, and various other details.

For writing things like addresses on letters, etc. it is better to use a petroleum based ink pen, i.e. ballpoint.

fountain pens were made for the purpose of writing a 'break up' letter to your girlfriend/boyfriend/significant other, so their tears can wet the parchment and fade the letters.

4. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

I hope one of you gents can help me. I'm looking for a new fountain pen.

My problem is that my handwriting looks like I'm a 12 year old boy (I noticed this is unfortunately rather common with men) and therefore don't like to use pens with a fine nib. Is there a quality fountain pen with decent design and one of these wide, flat \tcalligraphy nibs? I'm not sure if it's clear what I'm talking of, examples would be Lamy Joy (it just looks cheap and is too long but writes quite nice) or the old, no longer sold Rotring ArtPen (also too long and dries out quicker than you can say fountain pen 3 times).

I just prefer the fluid and soft writing that these kind of pens produce compared to the fine nib ones. Budget would be max. 300 EUR I'd say. I have a ballpoint pen from Mont Blanc (Meisterstück Platinum line) that I've got as a present, so it would be nice if the fountain pen would at least harmonize a little bit in design.

5. Felix Leiter

Felix Leiter Well-Known Member

I have a small collection of vintage and new fountain pens (about 100) from diferent makers.
    It's true that I have some exotic ones, but my vote as the best is for the the Parker 51'(one ca find then in every colour and also with metal caps and bodies). Second place goes to the Montblanc 149.
    Last year a client signed a document with an old and trusted Omas and forget to give it back to me. At the moment I did not perceive it. After, when I call him about the pen, he just said that it was not with him. After that I just left my fountain pens at home and use a plain Bic or other ballpoint pen to work.

6. madaboutshirt

madaboutshirt Senior member

I've always liked nice pens but never collected them. I do have a couple of Parkers and a Mont Blanc, all fountain pens.

I use a cheap biro most of the time though.

7. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I hope one of you gents can help me. I'm looking for a new fountain pen.

My problem is that my handwriting looks like I'm a 12 year old boy (I noticed this is unfortunately rather common with men) and therefore don't like to use pens with a fine nib. Is there a quality fountain pen with decent design and one of these wide, flat \tcalligraphy nibs? I'm not sure if it's clear what I'm talking of, examples would be Lamy Joy (it just looks cheap and is too long but writes quite nice) or the old, no longer sold Rotring ArtPen (also too long and dries out quicker than you can say fountain pen 3 times).

I just prefer the fluid and soft writing that these kind of pens produce compared to the fine nib ones. Budget would be max. 300 EUR I'd say. I have a ballpoint pen from Mont Blanc (Meisterstück Platinum line) that I've got as a present, so it would be nice if the fountain pen would at least harmonize a little bit in design.

An easy way to 'improve' your handwriting is to try a cursive italic nib.

8. Loudly

Loudly Senior member

Huge fan of this little number: [​IMG] The price is very, very right.
    Rock on, the blue version's been my pen of choice on and off for years. Pretty much the best writer I've found at any price point, so long as (1) you don't mind using a pedestrian looking pen; and (2) you aren't bothered that they tend to blow up from time to time, with the ink seeping through the "plug" onto everything. Since I have some posh pretensions, I've been using a Graf von Faber Castell guilloche rollerball. [​IMG] About 80% of the performance of the Pilot Precise, but a looker. I do feel like kind of a twat for using it when I could be using the (better) Pilot for 1% of the price [​IMG]. But it begs the question why an obviously revered firm like GvFC can't make a rollerball refill that works as well as a disposable Pilot...

9. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

Could you personally suggest me a fountain pen that comes with one? I'm aware that you can get them regrind/rebuild from some sources but actually I'd prefer to buy one that already is the way I want.

10. Charlemon

Charlemon Member

Hey guys,

three more days untill judgement day. ( My girlfriends birthday)
    I think in order to show deep affection or at least to show that I do sometimes listen to her. I will make her to a woman who posseses a Mountblanc Meisterstuck. After my research of half an hour, I think the new edition "signature for good" is worth to make her wish to my command. Unless someone has a recommendation which would make me to Mr universe in her eyes.

Cheers

11. RSS

RSS Senior member

Over the years I've purchased a few pens -- fountain, ballpoint, rollerball, etc. -- and have also received some as gifts. The colection covers most of the usual makers ... and while it includes few truly outstanding pieces of the penmaker's art ... the majority are reliable standard-bearers.

I keep most of these pens standing in a blue and white porcelain cup -- within easy reach -- on my desk at the office. I keep a smaller supply on desks at home.

What I have noticed about my use of the pens is a fondness for the Pelikan models. If I'm jotting notes I'll opt for a finer point. When writing correspondence, I prefer a nib that offers me the option of varying the line weight.

A particular Pelikan favorite is the Souverän:
    [​IMG]

A favorite lead holder is Faber Castell's E-Motion:
    [​IMG]

12. KlezmerBlues

KlezmerBlues Senior member

From my knowledge no. Since all fountain pen inks are all water based with essentially just dye, excepting cleaning agents, etc. added in.

I realize your post is quite old, but if someone wonders; there are lots of good waterproof inks. Every ink has it's distinctive advantages and disadvantages though.

Just to clarify, italic nibs are for calligraphy, not really for everyday handwriting.

13. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

[​IMG] Without reading the rest of the thread, the Tombow Zoom is a great bang for your buck pen

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

What I have noticed about my use of the pens is a fondness for the Pelikan models. If I'm jotting notes I'll opt for a finer point. When writing correspondence, I prefer a nib that offers me the option of varying the line weight.

I tend to always reach for a Pelikan pen, and always have one in my pocket.

15. tailorrmade

tailorrmade Senior member

I have been into pens for about 2 years now and have owned many of the brands mentioned in the thread so far. I can say that my research has led me to this conclusion:

Everyday use: Namiki Vanishing Point (I also like the Lamy 2000)

If you like Mont Blanc you owe it to yourself to check out Sailor from Japan

Semi Special Ocassions: Pelikan M800 is hard to beat (Best Overall)

Vintage: Parker 51 and Shaeffer PFM or Pen For Men (Do yourself a favor and check this out)

I actually like the nibs on Levenger fountain pens as well so those of you looking for an entry level fountain pen, check that out.

Before you buy anything, call Pam at Oscar Braun Pens and see if she has what you are looking for. She has the best prices PERIOD!!!