• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pens

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fountain pen or ballpoing pen?
I was given a ballpoint Waterman pen when I left a job, and I actually liked it. Later, I picked up another pen I liked and it was Waterman again. Perceived advantages: both look good without being flashy, both are unexpensive, and I am very comfortable writing with them. But maybe you are looking for something more exclusive.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love pens and watches, MB and Conway Stewart are my favourite for pens.

The Duro Heritage Edition is a beautiful pen and I think it is at very reasonable price, do have a look at this pen on their web site.

My daily writer is a MB 149 but if you do not like big pens so I will not recommend this one for you.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Yes, the Omas 360. I am going to get that. It is an ergonomic pen.

MontBlancs beyond the ubiquity, and association with yuppie types does still make a fine instrument. However the 144 is not an exceptionally wise buy.

The Namiki for Dunhill pens are exquisite. As is Nakaya which in certain contexts is the equivalent of a bespoke shoe.

The Namiki from Dunhill is indeed a beautiful pen I saw it at the Dunhill store in London but they wanted 30 thousand pounds for this one.
wow.gif

cpac

Reaction score
FWIW: I got a Cartier Diablo rollerball in a matte-black finish a few years ago and it served me very well. I wrote my law school exams with it, took the bar with it, and even signed the admitted attorney roll with it:
180009-10-11-12-20.jpg
Wanting to try a fountain pen before investing too heavily in one, I bought a Lamy Safari ($20 or so) and have been using that for almost a year:
LamySafari1Penyel.jpg
I've found I really do enjoy the fountain pen experience, and so on my Christmas/Birthday list is an Omas Emotica:
Omas_Emotica_Black_FP.jpg
ALSO, for the poster looking for a waterproof ink, there's Noodler's bulletproof ink, which, once dry, is supposed to be impervious to pretty much anything.

Drydis Greis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
So how many of you collect pens? I've misplaced my Montblanc so it's time for a new one. What is the best bang for the buck? I like simple designs best - gold, silver or black enamel, perhaps green. There has got to be some pen-aficionado's on this board. Please share your wisdom.
I have owned a set of Montblanc Meisterstuck Le Grand (Resin and Platinum) pens for a number of years. I think enough of them that I bought my Dad a set too. I also have a Montblanc Meisterstuck Le Grand ballpoint pen at work. Love 'em! Sure, there may be more expensive pens out there, but for a simple high quality pen, you cannot beat Montblanc.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrooklynWeGoHard
anyone can recommend a good entry level fountain pen for under $150?

Thanks!

Lamy.

huy

Reaction score

Thanks!

Pelikan 400, Visconti Van Gogh Midi, Lamy 2000, Sailor Sapporo, Pilot Vanishing Point

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by huy
Pelikan 400, Visconti Van Gogh Midi, Lamy 2000, Sailor Sapporo, Pilot Vanishing Point
Good recommendations, I like the Pelikans especially.

Naf Nasitra

Reaction score

Thanks!

I'll also chime in for the Pelikan 400. Not sure what the retail is these days, but they can usually be found for $150 easily. In terms of writing experience, I'd take a Pelikan 400 over most luxury pens, including Montblanc, Waterman & Cartier.

videocrew

Reaction score
Huge fan of this little number:
86b8_1.JPG
The price is very, very right.

ikebod

Reaction score
Fountain pens are like mechanical watches, appreciated for their fine design and meticulous construction, even though modern technology is cheaper and more convenient.

Mont Blanc has a very poor price/quality ratio.

Pelikan is the acknowledged class of the field, elegant and traditional. The M400 series would be your best choice for a slim, lightweight pen.

Lamy is superb value for the money and offers clean, modern design. They have some very slim models, if that is your preference.

If you want something more stylish, go for the Italians; Visconti, OMAS

Pitt 84

Reaction score
I'll add a count for the Pelikan 400 superb slimer pen...I carry an 800, like a bigger pen...but the works are nearly identical...super writers all those pelikans

How about Watermen the expert line is a wonderful daily writer...carried one daily for ten years, still have and use it...they also have the Carne (sp) a beautiful writer with incredible style

The Parker Sonnet line is a nice mid-sized pen...comes in some finishes...I like the sterling silver...Parkers always write nice

Shaffer makes two rather nice mid size pens...Legacy & Valor...wonderful writing pens with a strong manly sense about them

Then there is Omas, Conklin, Conway Stewart, Bexley, Arorua, Lamy, Rotring...

All of the lines listed here produce fine insturments, selecting a pen is ultra personal...aesthics, nib flex/width, size, construction, precious metals, filling system & lastly cost..

With a little effort one could find a pen in those listed above for $200-$450

But if you want a FP you cannot beat the nib on a Pelikan...writes like a dream
wink.gif

Be seeing you!
Pitt 84

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads