Pens

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by A Harris, May 30, 2004.

1. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Several months ago, I found a new old stock Waterman Patrician -- one of the finest, rarest and most desirable vintage pens -- in perfect condition at a local antique shop. I put off buying it. Yesterday I went back to take a look, and at some point, some moron tried working the lever and bent the damned thing so now it has a crease across the axle. I was so furious I was fit to be tied. I think if I knew who did that, he'd need to be fed through a tube the rest of his life.

2. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

so: I'm going to ask the $30 question that's been asked probably many times - what would people recommend as a good entry-level rollerball? I went to a local shop and tried a Waterman, don't know the model, but the point was too wide for my taste. It wrote very smoothly though, and the ink didn't bleed like the Lamy that I also tried. The shop guy said that was the finest point they had in the Waterman. I 'compromised' by getting a Waterford Marquis pen, which writes smoothly, has a fine tip, and readily available refills by Schmidt. But it kindof bugs me to have a pen made by a crystal company. /Andrew

3. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I purchased this Graf Von Faber-Castell a couple days ago. The coconut wood really caught my attention, so I decided to give it a try. It cost me just under 180 Euros. I have some money set aside for a more expensive writing instrument, but I want to get a feel for what I like before spending that money. This seems like a good pen to experiment with... [​IMG]

4. Dormouse

Dormouse Senior member

I like the minimalism of Faber Castells.

5. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

People are going to laugh, but years ago I bought a Colibri fountain pen. It was styled similarly to a MB, but unlike the MB it was all laquered brass. It wrote very nicely until I dropped it one too many times and it began leaking at some point above the nib.

6. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

^
    I actually know of Dov from my Pentrace days. He's a reliable seller.

7. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Who still use quill and cut it by penknife?

I did, when I need to write something nice.

8. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Who still use quill and cut it by penknife?

I did, when I need to write something nice.

I have used bamboo cut with knife but not quill. I thought quill could also be used without cutting it. Quill works better if it is removed from the bird first.

9. ahk10

ahk10 Member

The Namiki Vanishing Point is a fantastic writer and very convenient. Consider that it's available in finishes like carbon fiber, and it becomes an even more attractive value for the price.

I have the vanishing point in black and "carbon fiber." The CF is pretty dissapointing, its simply the same black laquer or whatever they use with some silver speckling..... I suppose this is supposed to give the illusion of carbon fiber.

It would be better if they just advertized as some sort of design pattern, rather than creating this cheap carbonesque appearance.

10. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I have used bamboo cut with knife but not quill. I thought quill could also be used without cutting it. Quill works better if it is removed from the bird first.

No, quill can't use without cutting. Actually, it need "cured" before cutting. Or you can buy cured quill.

Reed is better than bamboo.

11. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

my personal fave for value/looks/function were Watermans. esp the rollerballs. simple, classy designs, thin, and had a brass barrel body underneath the exterior finish which makes them more durable (and heavier).

I believe that is now a thing of the past. Last time I bought a pen (summer of '04) the guys at the Fountain Pen Hospital guys told me that Waterman pens would no longer be made in France and would be made in the US. As a result of the change, they would hace steel rather than brass barrels - a change for the worse IMO.

To add another name that may not be what you're looking for at all but that always appealed to me: Rotring.

I haven't been on the Levenger site in years but they used to have some great limited editions.

In terms of a nice all around fountain pen, I"d have to do with the Parker Duofold.

A Harris, or anyone else, I a number of fountain pens that I no longer use - I'd be happy to let them go quite cheaply. PM me if you have any interest.

12. Nantucket Red

In terms of a nice all around fountain pen, I"d have to do with the Parker Duofold.

The Duofold is really an excellent pen. I have two of the square-top Centennial Duofolds; a pearl & black with a fine oblique nib and a limited production orange with a needlepoint nib. The Duofold is offered with a selection of 24 different nib grades, which I believe is more than any other modern fountain pen.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Have you seen what OMAS has done to th 360? Such hideousness, it looks like a SWAG pen: http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/I...G%3D5%26CK%3D2 In contrast, the original version: [​IMG] I used to really like OMAS, but when they're coming out with products like these, I'm not so sure.

14. Nantucket Red

Good god, what were they thinking? That new so-called 360 looks completely undistinguished. Perhaps Omas' LVMH ownership is beginning to show.

15. tanalasta

tanalasta Well-Known Member

what would people recommend as a good entry-level rollerball?
    /Andrew

Not exactly a rollerball but I would recommend the Parker Gel-Ink refills in a standard Parker ball-point. I used to use a Parker Insignia stainless steel BP as an everyday pen before it was replaced with a Lamy 2000 fountain pen. I have had one or two Gel-Ink refills leak horribly on me so check it carefully before putting it in the pen!