• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pens

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My personal choice is the Visconti "Van Gogh" in black (it also comes in some wonderful marbled finishes):

Visconti.jpg

It's heavy and substantial, which I like a lot. Montblanc are, to my mind, too flimsy.

At the upper reaches, both Dupont and Caran d'Ache make excellent pens with a certain type of beautiful and durable Chinese Lacquer. I think Dupont are a little overpriced, and I have it on high authority that Caran is every bit as good. I like the balance better too. At about AUD$800, it's my dream pen at present. I think they can be had overseas for much less....

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Ditto pendemonium. I'm learning to use a foutain pen right now, have to get my hand used to it. Lots of crosswords and "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog."

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

gefinzi

Reaction score
I bought a pen from them that was genuine and arrived promptly and well packed.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer vintage pens mainly because I enjoy flexible nibs. I would recommend an old waterman with overlay - you can have a variety of nibs. The lever filler mechanism is also pretty much foolproof (although I've had one 'friend' who flipped it asking 'what's this for?') and easy to repair.

Modern pens are okay if customized to italic/stubs but tend to devalue significantly - this may or may not be a problem for some. There is a wide choice availabe but they are not cheap. Some random/general thoughts:

Conway Stewarts are improving.
The Montblanc 149 is a classic pen but vintage ones are nicer.
Some italian pens are nice: Aurora (I always wanted an Afrika), Omas pens are good to look at but reliability can be an issue - I had a 360 that leaked.
The japanese makes are also worth considering eg Nakaya, Sailor, Platinum etc.

Aristocrat

Reaction score
Haha who come up with that name on a pen site???

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own a Pelikan Sovereign 400, inherited from my late Grandfather. The model I've got has last been made this way in 1954, so it is at least 52 years old.
If i bought one today I would think about getting one in black, I have the classic green stripes:
m1000.jpg

I especially like the clip which resembles a Pelikan's beak (at least I think it's supposed to).

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aristocrat
Haha who come up with that name on a pen site???

i believe it's a parody. not certain though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads