• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pens in your shirt pocket: Anyone else consider it to part of their style?

randomhero88

Reaction score
I know it's an interesting post and probably something not many do.Does anyone else carry a pen that supplements the rest of your business attire? I collect pens as a hobby, but anyone who knows me will attest that pretty much no matter where I am, if I have a shirt pocket, there is a pen in it.

Generally, I try and match my pens with my cufflinks. It sounds silly, but I can't tell you how many people ask me about my pen before anything else about me.

I'll give you a few examples:
If I'm wearing sterling silver cufflinks, I'll carry my MB 163 Sterling Silver Pen
If I'm wearing gold toned cufflinks, I'll carry a MB 146 which is a black/gold colored pen

I'll carry fountain pens for important events, and I'll carry ballpoints/rollerballs for situations that I might have to loan out a pen to someone. I'd imagine that this thread will be met with a bit of opposition, but hopefully there are 1 or 2 others who have a similar mindset to myself.

Some of my Mont Blancs for those that have no idea what I'm talking about(hopefully we can embed photobucket pictures on here):

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of my shirts have chest pockets so I am safe there. The pen goes into the pen pocket inside my jacket.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, nobody can possibly say that I was the only person who thought 'pens' was actually 'penis'.

randomhero88

Reaction score
I figured that there would be some comic relief to the question. I promise I have thick skin. However, I'd invite some of you to be more open minded. Many of you spend thousands of dollars to look presentable and on par with current styles, why neglect something such as this in a professional atmosphere?

Some of you would spend $200+ on a pair of cufflinks or $10k on a watch, why carry a bic around in your pocket?

You know the feeling you get when you put on a $2000 suit? It's a pretty similar feeling when you sign a $1mm check with a $1000 pen.

And please let's not turn this into a wiener swinging contest. I can roll with the punches, but I'd like to see at least a few people who have something constructive to say.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why so many low-end starter pens? Mont Blanc is like LV.

Sell all but one (for back up / lending) and game up by getting a Nakaya or a Namiki. Better still... an OMAS.

And don't carry it in your shirt pocket.

redips

Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone will debate the importance of a quality writing instrument in a man's stylecon, but it seemed like the point of your post was to understand who among us wear a pen in our shirt pocket - which I would imagine very few do (for reasons listed above, including post #3).

It appears that you have multiple's of the same pen? It also appears that most of your pens are MB? Why on earth would you have more than one MB? It's like having more than one Rolex while ignoring the real watch companies.

Last edited:

randomhero88

Reaction score
Why so many low-end starter pens? Mont Blanc is like LV.
Sell all but one (for back up / lending) and game up by getting a Nakaya or a Namiki. Better still... an OMAS.
And don't carry it in your shirt pocket.

You use the words "low-end starter pens" so eloquently. I'd love to see your collection? I enjoy what I have and I work my way up as money and the right deals find their way to me. I just started collecting back in October of 2011 with a 25 cent Parker 51 I bought at an estate sale. So in 6 months to go from 25 cents to a collection I just had insured for well into the 5 figure range is plenty for me right now.

Believe me when I say that I know your type. I could have posted a picture of 15 Mont Blanc Writer's Editions and you would have still made the same comments. In fact, no matter what I posted, you probably would have had something to say about its insignificance. I suppose I should say it just to get it out of the way: "I'm not worthy" *Wayne's World Voice*

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know it's an interesting post and probably something not many do.Does anyone else carry a pen that supplements the rest of your business attire? I collect pens as a hobby, but anyone who knows me will attest that pretty much no matter where I am, if I have a shirt pocket, there is a pen in it.

Generally, I try and match my pens with my cufflinks. It sounds silly, but I can't tell you how many people ask me about my pen before anything else about me.

I'll give you a few examples:
If I'm wearing sterling silver cufflinks, I'll carry my MB 163 Sterling Silver Pen

If I'm wearing gold toned cufflinks, I'll carry a MB 146 which is a black/gold colored pen

I'll carry fountain pens for important events, and I'll carry ballpoints/rollerballs for situations that I might have to loan out a pen to someone. I'd imagine that this thread will be met with a bit of opposition, but hopefully there are 1 or 2 others who have a similar mindset to myself.

Some of my Mont Blancs for those that have no idea what I'm talking about(hopefully we can embed photobucket pictures on here):

It is not an interesting post at all and your habits of buying cheap pens and then pretending to be important by matching them to some other aspect of your dress says much about you. You even make something of a faux pas - keeping pens in a shirt pocket. They belong in the pen pocket of you coat and NEVER in a short pocket makes you look like some low grade engineer - and that is probably an insult to them.

I would suggest that you think carefully about your motivation for this serious trait - 25 cent pens are nothing to be proud of.

randomhero88

Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone will debate the importance of a quality writing instrument in a man's stylecon, but it seemed like the point of your post was to understand who among us wear a pen in our shirt pocket - which I would imagine very few do (for reasons listed above, including post #3).
It appears that you have multiple's of the same pen? It also appears that most of your pens are MB? Why on earth would you have more than one MB? It's like having more than one Rolex while ignoring the real watch companies.

Those are fair statements and questions. I will give a bit more background info on my situation. As said, I'm a financial advisor. I spend a great deal of time out of the office, driving in my car, etc. As a result, it's main importance for being in my pocket is convenience as I write a ton every day. I began wearing pens in my pocket much more often after people would randomly come up to me and ask me about them. I love Mont Blancs because they're easy to spot and because you can generally start an easy conversation with a stranger over them (something very valuable in my line of work). It may be a faux pas to some, but my general mission is to change that and that's why I generally carry a pen more expensive than most people's watches.

As far as my pens. I do not own any multiples although I could understand that assumption judging by the picture believe me. The pens pictured are just the ones I have at my office. I own about 50-60 more that aren't pictured. I own everything from Sheaffers to Parkers to Auroras, and quite a few others. I love showing off my collection although that wasn't quite the intention of this thread.

The best answer I can give to "why so many pens?" is that why not? They're double collectables which means they're valuable to pen collectors and precious commodity buyers( for the gold nibs) so they hold their value well. Also, if you ever have the time, stop into a Mont Blanc boutique and write with an extra fine nib and then write with an oblique broad nib. Different pens write completely differently. I'll also add in the little side note that I make A LOT of money buying and selling them. I would say that I've easily funded half my collection with the profits from other pens I've sold.

I think this thread has already gone downhill (which I honestly expected unfortunately), but it is entertaining to say the least.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
someone please explain to me how a $5000 pen is better than a $200 pen. I doubt that there is any difference at all in quality at a certain price point unlike with watches where the movement of a $5000 omega is considerably better than that of a $500 seiko. presenting it in your shirt pocket does make you look like a stereotypical engineer. just add a slide ruler and Ti-96 to your checkered shirt and you blend in. source: I'm a PE.

randomhero88

Reaction score
It is not an interesting post at all and your habits of buying cheap pens and then pretending to be important by matching them to some other aspect of your dress says much about you. You even make something of a faux pas - keeping pens in a shirt pocket. They belong in the pen pocket of you coat and NEVER in a short pocket makes you look like some low grade engineer - and that is probably an insult to them.
I would suggest that you think carefully about your motivation for this serious trait - 25 cent pens are nothing to be proud of.
Once again, I don't think there's anything I could post where you wouldn't have something negative to say about it.

Just because I can tell it grinds your gears I'll leave you with this bit of truth.....I pay the extra $3 to have a pocket sewn on my CT shirts, and do you know why?.....it's just to hold a pen.

someone please explain to me how a $5000 pen is better than a $200 pen. I doubt that there is any difference at all in quality at a certain price point unlike with watches where the movement of a $5000 omega is considerably better than that of a $500 seiko. presenting it in your shirt pocket does make you look like a stereotypical engineer. just add a slide ruler and Ti-96 to your checkered shirt and you blend in. source: I'm a PE.

I agree that aside from the small amounts of precious metals or jewels they can be scrapped for, there's very little difference between most high end pens. However, why do people collect baseball cards? Comic books? Or those creepy Santa dolls old ladies collect? I enjoy collecting and writing with them. I agree that a cheap pen screams entry-level engineer and even a nice pen probably does too, but like I said, my primary intent isn't to make a fashion statement (although it wouldn't hurt to succeed in the process).

Elegantly Wasted

Reaction score
No need to bully him, SFers can do even worse with their chest pockets:

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Woah. GBR, you're one harsh dude. That's 3/3 I've read from you today.

RandomHero, I can dig what you're saying, but I can't dig the idea you're promoting. It's a little gimmicky. Italian #menswear mogul Angelo Flaccavento keeps a (cheap) pen in his jacket pocket. I guess that's okay if you have the sprezzy.

lang

Reaction score
Does anyone have the picture of Steve Martin wearing a crisp white shirt with a pen in his shirt pocket that leaks out a massive blot of ink?:)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads