1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pens in your shirt pocket: Anyone else consider it to part of their style?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by randomhero88, Apr 10, 2012.

1. sns23

sns23 Senior member

Even those are for infants. I only get pens that are 1/1 custom made. Yeah, they can cost upwards of 100k, but certainly better than the hobos with "off the rack" pens.

1 person likes this.
  2. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

Yeah Mike, I would not be seen dead with a cheap and nasty MB pen in my pocket. Could you just imagine the embarrassment. They are clunky, they are old fashioned, they have no style. Terribly uncool, every other hick has one it seems, and they all trying to show them off. To be honest, they probably would not recognise a real pen if it hit them in the face.

but then... it takes all types to make a world.

3. randomhero88

randomhero88 Well-Known Member

To each their own I suppose. I collect everything from Mont Blanc, Parker, Sheaffer, Aurora, Waterman, and several other brands.

I use Mont Blanc Irish Green for taking notes or "fun writing" it's one of my favorite colors I own. I have a few others, but the majority of what I use is Parker Black Quink, Waterman Royal Blue, Sheaffer Brown, and MB Irish Green. And yes, they are both owned by the Richemont group. Not a ton of people know that
    Quote:
    I keep a small bottle of ammonia in my desk for this reason. Ammonia seems to get ink out really well. I've only had it happen once, but unfortunately, it was a bright green on a white shirt. LOL, you can always tell if someone if a fountain pen junkie based on if they have weird colored ink all over their fingers.
    They're low-end starter pens to most people. To me they're what I like and what I enjoy. I'm not bashing others for owning a Parker 21 or a Lami, these are what I can afford or what I bought at the right price and they make me happy.
    You were right, that did come off in bad taste. And a beat to hell Infiniti M45 for the record

I enjoy collecting pens and this thread was an indirect approach to see if others enjoyed collecting them. For the record, I no longer carry a pen in my shirt pocket. I've since invested in a single leather pen case and keep that in my pants pocket.

4. Zaeon

Zaeon Member

How about wearing your pens using Carven's leather pocket protector:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. AdamJD

AdamJD Member

I'm surprised with all the Mont Blanc negativity. I have a vintage MB 149, and it is one of the nicest writing pens I have ever used.

On topic, pens go in the jacket inner pen pocket.

6. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

That price point is less than $1. Everything else is masturbation.

This is horrifying. Might as well wear a bolo tie and clown shoes to assert your individuality and style.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  7. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Senior member

+50 no shirt pocket so no chance to have a pen in there anyway. Especially a thick MB pen must look strange in a shirt pocket...

On the difference between a 500$ and a 5000$ pen: go to a fountain pen forum and tell those guys you spend $5000 on a suit [​IMG]

8. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

When I'm wearing a suit I make it a point not to carry a pen period. I always thought it might ruin the look so I simply don't. If I have to jot down something, I can type it in the smartphone..or I can always borrow a pen when necessary.

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

-1. I always carry a pen, especially when I'm wearing a suit.

10. stevefisher

stevefisher Member

yeah me too. i love paper, pen and ink.

[​IMG] :)[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  11. redips

redips Well-Known Member

There is nothing stylish about appearing unprepared or tethered to a smartphone.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

wow, I have seem some newbies torn to shreds here, but this might be the worst case.

I carry a small folding pen in my pants pocket, one of those astronout type pens, so that I have one at all times. I have a mont blanc that was a gift, and I use a reddish brown colored ink, so that it is different from everyone else in my company (so that if several of us have to sign a document, its easy to look at the document and see if I have signed or not). I used to use green, and then I read about the head of the british secret service using it traditionally, so I figured it was a little odd for me to.

the OP seems enthousiastic about his hobby, I don't see a reason to tear him a new one over it.

those japanese pens look nice, something to add to my want list.

13. randomhero88

Thank you, I'm not here to brag. I genuinely enjoy collecting pens. I just got back a few new ones. Most of them are nothing flashy. My oldest ones are from the 40s.

I did a quick count:
    Mont Blanc: 14 pens
    Parker: 13 pens
    Sheaffer: 12 pens
    Waterman: 5 pens
    I have about 5-10 other nice ones and the rest are cheap $5-10 pens.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I like to wear my pens in a white plastic pocket protector that fits the breast pockets of my short-sleeved dress shirts that I always wear without a jacket but with a necktie.

1 person likes this.
  15. stevefisher

stevefisher Member

agree!

16. LisaO

LisaO New Member

Hmmm.... I like to think of my Mont Blanc's as my office jewelry (I have three - the Ingrid Bergman rollerball, the Princess Grace Fountain and the Tribute to Mont Blanc Fountain). So for women it is even harder to have the beautiful pen available at all times. I clip mine on my blouse or shirt. When I am wearing a suit I still clip it on my jacket - just from habit. The one thing that is a little disappointing is that if you want the beautiful stone to show you have to clip the pen towards your skin, which makes it a little tougher for access. But why have one of these beautiful instruments and not use it...right? I think it's great that you coordinate your pen with your cufflinks, etc. - that's your style. Whatever makes you happy and gives you joy ~

Warmest regards

17. randomhero88

I agree Lisa! If I carried a cheap BIC in my pocket, I'd feel like an engineer. However, these days, I keep a small Sterling Silver Solitaire 163 Rollerball in my suit or shirt pocket.