1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pens in your shirt pocket: Anyone else consider it to part of their style?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by randomhero88, Apr 10, 2012.

1. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

This is ironic because Maybach is owned by mercedes benz. Not only that, but the brand is going to be discontinued by the year 2013.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Good one. I assume he meant Maybach is for chauffer but I get what he's driving at.
    After all, Hong Kong boasts more Rolls Royce per capita than any other city.

3. RSS

RSS Senior member

I seriously doubt the person I reference knows much about cars although he was aware that MB makes Maybach. But experience tells me that he was far more concerned with dollar amounts and keeping up appearances.

Personally I'm fine with MB.

His chauffer was driving at the time. Your assumption is correct.

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Or if you really want to be a badass, open up a vein and sign your documents in blood.

Note: do not try this when closing on your house. It will not end well.

1 person likes this.
  5. RSS

RSS Senior member

If one does this, is it required that it be because he is a bad ass? Can one not do it because he appreciates the beauty of the design? Surely it's not always about the overly conspicuous show.

6. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

Actually, the OP was concerned mainly about matching his pens with his Manolos cufflinks.

7. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

The collection of vintage prototypes bestows the critical title of badassery.

8. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

i have the end all solution to this. Get a vintage limited run demonstrator and load it with hot pink ink. By doing this you get the best of both worlds.

2 people like this.
  9. RSS

RSS Senior member

I prefer persimmon!

10. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Excellent choice my good man!

:crackup:

1 person likes this.
  11. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This is an excellent fountain pen, you can find one on ebay for about $40.

And feed it with something colorful like this:

[​IMG]

I believe the proper place to wear it is the inner pen pocket of the jacket.

_

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  12. mymil

mymil Senior member

I kind of like these ballpoint Caran d'Ache pens; they're cheap:

[​IMG]

I keep red, green, and blue in my bag, so it's always a surprise which color I grab. Just kidding, I always nonchalantly pick the one that best coordinates with what I'm wearing.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  13. tom10167

tom10167 Active Member

What instances are you folks using a non-black or blue ink, and even then, blue can be a problem at times. I'd love to toy around with something like a blood red but I just don't know where it would come up in a business setting, and I'm not handwriting letters any time soon.

Any recommendations for something with the size and feel of a MB 149? The way I hold a pen lends itself to something very wide like that, but I'm not about to spend $400-$600 on a single pen.

PS Whoever brought up MB being like LV, kind of funny, I believe both are owned by the Richemont group.

14. mymil

mymil Senior member

Editing.

15. mymil

mymil Senior member

So far, assuming I can read correctly, the majority of respondents have advocated keeping a pen not in their shirt pocket, but in their interior jacket pen pocket. Wouldn't it be worse for a leaking pen to damage a jacket than a shirt? What's to prevent that from happening?

16. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Maybe the proper pen pocket in a jacket provides better protection because of the lining? I'm not a tailor, so I don't know if special consideration it taken in the pocket's construction...

17. CHenry

CHenry Senior member

I have a few MBs and while I like the basic black design, they are not particularly great for writing. One of my favorites is a celluloid Platinum that has a lovely quill. I also like Parkers, especially the big retro ones, they have a nice feel for writing, both the fountains and the rollers. I never cared much for Pelikan, but that is only a personal preference. Omas. I don't have one, but their Arco Arte Italiana Milord is a classic--very beautiful.

18. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. I have pens filled with red and yellow for editing and making notes on documents.

19. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Moleskine type journals and notebooks, personal meeting notes, signing greeting cards, good old fashioned daily planner entries and so on. I still hand write letters. It adds a real personal touch which seems to be very much appreciated by the recipient.

20. otheme

otheme Well-Known Member

I keep a box of pens in different colors on my desk. I don't see much need of keeping a fountain pen in the jacket -- the chance of one wearing a jacket and writing something at the same time is really small. When I'm writing on paper, I'm usually at my desk and the jacket is on a hanger.

About colors, red is only for editing/corrections. Writing normal text in red is considered rude. Other colors such as brown, turquoise, or dark green can give a quite distinguished look.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012