Pens in your shirt pocket: Anyone else consider it to part of their style?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by randomhero88, Apr 10, 2012.

1. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

I don't exactly have anything to drain. [​IMG]

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

oh dear.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I use fountain pens exclusively, and have 8-10 that I've enjoyed over the years. I don't consider myself a collector, but I'm proud of the ones I have which includes some that are rare. I usually have up to 2 with me on any given business day, and they are always kept in my jacket pocket, even on flights.

4. Off My Rack

Off My Rack Senior member

I carry my pen in the pen pocket in my coat most of the time. When I need to attach it to my shirt, I slide it through my placket, just above the third button from the top, and clip it onto the shirt. That way it hides behind the tie, mostly. Although some of my bulkier pens are a bit awkward in that position (but still not as awkward as the pen in the shirt pocket).

I haven't yet ventured too deep into the world of pens, but soon will. My in-laws are aware of my fondness for pens, and gave me a set of Faber Castells when I passed the bar. One is a ball point and the other is a fountain pen. No clue what the quality of these is, but its a good way for me to dip my toe into the water.

5. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

By all means... be careful. Want some inflatable armbands? Wouldn't want you to drown.

They're flippin' pens. Not neutron bombs.

Dive in fer crissakes.

6. Off My Rack

That's the plan. I just have no money to put into it. Like I said, just out of law school - and in this economy, that means I'm flat broke. As soon as I start making some money, I'm buying another pen or two.

7. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Damnit, now you've got me thinking about which colour inks would be SF-approved. Black, like suits, would obviously be out of the question, but the standard blue biro-like colour is too common and cheap looking. I think one acceptable colour would be a deep midnight blue. Obviously brighter colours would be allowed in certain situation, but would not be acceptable for CBD :rotflmao:

+1

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

8. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

time to time i have worn pens in my jacket or shirt pocket. in situations where they were really convenient, not gratuitously as an accessory. (i really like shirt pockets, btw, most especially for traveling)

fountain pens are fun. but they stay at the desk... between potential leakage, not starting when i need em, etc, theyre simply not as functional

9. Off My Rack

I currently am using a midnight blue ink for my fountain pen. I am unsure of whether I can write with it in daylight. Please advise...

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I use Private Reserve midnight blue in most of my pens for daily work use, but have a couple with Aurora black for signing important documents.

11. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

I was wondering if any of you guys here have seen a Conway Stewart pen before, I think they look awesome. Below are one or two examples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

i had the churchill. great pen. hefty for sure...about the same size as a pelikan M1000. IMHO, it was a more comfortable pen to write with...felt great in the hand...kinda wish i kept it.

13. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Doesn't PG wear his pens displayed in his outer jacket pocket?

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I recall him posting several pics with the pen on display. It seemed to catch on here with a few others for a brief period, unfortunately.

15. RSS

RSS Senior member

I always have a pen with me. It is never in my shirt pocket ... assuming my shirt has a pocket.

As for pens ... I'm particularly fond of Pelikan. But, I'm NOT a pen collector. I buy pens to use as intended.