• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pennsylvania and their ridiculous liquor laws.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
This is hilarious.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/08/p...in-wine-vendi/

PA Walmart stores getting CCTV-enabled, breathalyzin' wine vending machines
By Joseph L. Flatley posted Dec 8th 2010 4:01PM
Whenever technology is used to solve a real problem, it warms our hearts. It really does. But when technological perambulations are needed to work their way around antiquated state liquor laws (the likes of which have tormented at least one poor Engadget editor since he reached the age of majority), it just seems sad. For instance, it's illegal to sell alcohol in grocery stores in Pennsylvania, but it's not illegal to install a vending machine that dispenses wine: as long as the user is asked to take a breathalyzer test, swipe their state issued ID or Driver License, and then show their mug to a state official sitting somewhere in Harrisburg, who is keeping an eye on the proceedings via CCTV. Simple, right? Maybe not, but it does protect the state's monopoly on liquor sales. The Pronto wine vending machine is currently only available in select grocery stores in the state, but it's just been announced that the PA Liquor Control Board has given Walmart preliminary approval to put the things in some of their locations outside of Pittsburgh. We'll try one out ourselves, as soon as they start carrying Blue Nun.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There's also something about how beer can only be sold by the case or sixpack, something like that.

I mean it isn't like they live in a state where you can't buy alcohol on a sunday, or before 1230 on Sundays, or beer above 14% alcohol but you can buy everclear...or you know, more ****.

victorga

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
There's also something about how beer can only be sold by the case or sixpack, something like that.

I mean it isn't like they live in a state where you can't buy alcohol on a sunday, or before 1230 on Sundays, or beer above 14% alcohol but you can buy everclear...or you know, more ****.

I'll tell you what, buying by the case is underrated. Now that I live outside the commonwealth I dearly miss the cost efficiency. $15 for a 12-pack when I used to be able to get a full 30 for the same price hurts.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indiana is ridiculous tool. Try going to school here...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Indiana is ridiculous tool. Try going to school here...

What? There are hardly any liquor laws in Indiana that border on ridiculous. Aside from some counties being dry.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their bars close at 2AM; that is ridiculous - I usually don't even go to bars until 1.30ish, couldn't imagine that being last call.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
Their bars close at 2AM; that is ridiculous - I usually don't even go to bars until 1.30ish, couldn't imagine that being last call.

On behalf of my home state, please allow me to apologize sincerely for the huge issues we've caused your social life.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
you 'merkuns and your ridiculous liquor laws... 1st time I bought alcohol I was 13, entered a seedy bar and asked the waitress what they bottle they could sell me takeout with the money I had. brought back a bottle of $2 rum.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the sold you the good stuff!

Arms_Akimbo

Reaction score
As far as PA beer laws, being able to do takeout as you leave the bar is real nice, especially compared to CO where last call is 2am and liquor stores close at midnight. The case discount is also nice compared to where I live now not to mention being able to buy Yuengling or Lion's Head instead of Pabst or something.

But overall, not fun to work around.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Having lived here in PA all my life I cannot defend our liquor laws. That's what we get for being founded by a bunch of Quakers.
smile.gif

I was in Tennessee a while back and one of the residents told me that the Jack Daniels distillery is located in a dry county. I guess that way the county can reap the tax benefits of something they view as a sin and keep it out of their local population at the same time.
laugh.gif

The recently elected governor has mentioned that he would like to de-regulate PA's liquor industry so let's see what happens when he takes office ....

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WA laws are terrible too, though not as ridiculous as PA. Bars close at 2:00am but are fined if anyone is still inside after that time, so last call goes anywhere from 1:15am-1:40am and bars will totally patronize you by saying its 20 minutes later than it really is. They'll throw you out if you run around yelling the real time (= Its infuriating.

Any place that serves beer outside has to be corralled in by a fence or raised off the street. (think of the CHILDREN!). We actually had a chance to break the state monopoly this year but some interest groups put out a bunch of commercials about teenagers freely buying booze from convenience stores and dying in crashes. Super. So naturally it didnt pass.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti

I thought that most all states' bars closed at 2am. I knew a few stayed open later, but everywhere I know about, it's all 2am.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DC bars close at 3 AM, but 2 AM is hardly unusual. That's the time VA bars close.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There is a distillery in Woodinville (about 10 miles from me) who is allowed to make liquor. I am allowed to drink this liquor. But you cannot legally buy this liquor unless the distillery ships it out of the State of WA, to a retailer somewhere else. Then you can purchase it online, and it will be shipped back here. Why? Because the distillery won't bribe the LCB to stock their product in this state.

Yay State run liquor monopoly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads