Pennies for my loafers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bic Pentameter, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

I have always been pretty much of a lace-up guy. I bought my last pair of loafers in 1987. They were tassels. This weekend, I found a pair of loafers at a Marshalls. They are similar in design to the link I have included. http://store4.yimg.com/I/shoedini_1707_2711375 The price and size were right, so I bought them. I presume that they are penny loafers. Questions: Should I put pennies in them? Would anyone tisk tisk me if I didn't? (We'll put aside the 'Should I care if tisked' issue for a moment.) Do they have to be pennies? How about francs or 100 yen coins? Bic

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

You know, I don't think I've seen a pair of penny loafers, on anyone, adorned with pennies, or any other coinage for that matter. Still, I don't see any reason not to do it - other than, of course, the fact that everyone is going to ask why you've got coins on your feet.  [​IMG] Much like bow ties or fedoras, it's just something that's going to invite interest. You might get a lot of people asking you to stick your foot out so they can get a closer look... I guess it's like blazer buttons, or cufflinks - you can keep them plain, and be correct, or you can jazz them up a little. Most people, if they think about it at all, wouldn't wear them, probably since they find it hard enough to co-ordinate suit, shirt and tie, let alone wondering whether their pennies match the rest of it. [​IMG] For what it's worth, if I owned a pair of penny loafers, I'd probably slot some coins in... maybe find some nice brass video arcade tokens, or something... Enjoy, Nick.

3. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

They are indeed penny loafers. Virtually nobody puts pennies in them anymore, which doesn't mean you couldn't/shouldn't. Of course you could put something else in there, from other coins to tokens or small poker chips to folded-up dollar bills. When an opportunity for creative expression arises, no matter how small, why not seize it?

4. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior member

Thanks to both Nick and Pstoller for your posts. Folded up dollar bills in my shoes? I'd feel like a dancer at a foot fetish bar. On the other hand, if I put a bill in just one shoe, someone would take the hint and give me "somethin' pretty" for the other one.

I was in an old coin shop today and saw some pre WWII Japanese coins. What responsibility. . .Now I feel like almost anything I put in them would look affected. Perhaps I could put a different something in them each time I wear them.

Bic

5. dkaplowitz

dkaplowitz New Member

Is copper something you really want in your shoes for any prolonged period of time?

I would personally think it a little fruity (not necessarily in a gay way, but not ruling that out either) if I met someone in a business setting who had pennies in his loafers. Just MO. But maybe you'll be a trend setter in that respect. And who can argue with the "conversation piece" theory? More power to you.