• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet or Chanel Antaeus? Reading "THE PREFECT GENTLEMAN", by James Sherwood

David Copeland

Reaction score

From this outstanding 2012 First Edition, the author writes:

Weapons to Conquer Society -
"Perfume, that most potent olfactory semaphore, says much about the man - particularly Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet ."

Who enjoys Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet, as well as Chanel Antaeus?

I'd be most appreciative to hear from you,

David

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Quote:
Hammam Bouquet has quite a sweet, sickly scent - I did not like it all. Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet, on the other hand, is great.

Last edited:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scent is very personal. For myself, I find Blenheim Bouquet much too strong, and I happen to be wearing Hamman Bouquet today, which is a scent that does take some getting used to, but I find it very pleasant on a long-term basis. I also wear Penhaligon's Racquets with some regularity as well (or at least until such time as I run out, as Penhaligon's has ceased production of it).

I've not smelled Antaeus in quite some time, but do not remember it bearing any resemblance, scent-wise to Hamman Bouquet. Is there any reason that you pair the two, OP?

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like Hammam Bouquet and enjoy wearing it. My wife can't stand it. It is an unusual scent and you should be sure you will like wearing it before buying it. Sherwood's comments are moronic and should be ignored--HB is a perfume, like any other, and besides his possible personal preference for it, there is nothing to connect it to the mindless ad copy you quote.

Last edited:

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Hammam Bouquet and Blenheim. Hammam took a bit of getting used to, and my partner doesn't quite like it. But, I like peculiar scents.

I'm actually quite interested in getting my hands on Knize Ten, created for the Viennese tailor to the Royal Court in the 20s. Have heard it's very long lasting, is a masculine scent, and smells of leather and tar.

Not sure if it's true, or that it's saying much at all, but people on the Fedora Lounge say that it was a favorite of Bogart, Churchill, Flynn etc.

http://boisdejasmin.com/2012/04/knize-ten-perfume-review.html
http://www.essence-quintessence.com/knize-ten/
http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Knize/Knize-Ten-7913.html
http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/knize-knize-ten-fragrance-review.html
http://perfumeniche.com/knize-ten

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes. Blenheim is great, too. I prefer it to HB and while BB is very distinctive, I find it much more wearable. In fact, it was a near daily wear for a while until I knocked the bottle over and broke it. I had so many other scents that I never bought a replacement, but now that I have gone through a few others, maybe I will.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Scent is very personal. For myself, I find Blenheim Bouquet much too strong, and I happen to be wearing Hamman Bouquet today, which is a scent that does take some getting used to, but I find it very pleasant on a long-term basis. I also wear Penhaligon's Racquets with some regularity as well (or at least until such time as I run out, as Penhaligon's has ceased production of it).

I've not smelled Antaeus in quite some time, but do not remember it bearing any resemblance, scent-wise to Hamman Bouquet. Is there any reason that you pair the two, OP?

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Chanel Antaeus popped up in several notable reviews as one of the most sought-after men's items to use (very powerful, especially since the 80's). Hammam Bouquet was mentioned by Sherwood (not as an ad) - but in context with knowing the difference between quality and renditions - such as owning authentic Chippendale Furniture versus owning or using a rendition version of anything. He mentioned that those who know the difference will very rarely expose us for using a rendition (out of respect) - but to be forewarned not to invest in something of a lesser quality - mixed with quality - and that those "in the know" are to be counted among a stronger class than those who would not know the difference. Note: I did find an interesting site where I can order samples of some great choices Celebrity Samplers, including Knize Ten : http://theperfumedcourt.com/Product...r-80-scents-to-choose-from__CELEBRITYMEN.aspx
By ad copy, I meant Sherwood's writing. it is not analysis, but rather puffery. However he meant it, it has no more content than an ad. BTW, the current version of Hammam Bouquet is very much a rendition rather than the original as many of the ingredients had to be changed from the original formulation because of EU safety and allergan rules. I like it, still, but there us nothing magical or extraordinary about it.

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
By ad copy, I meant Sherwood's writing. it is not analysis, but rather puffery. However he meant it, it has no more content than an ad. BTW, the current version of Hammam Bouquet is very much a rendition rather than the original as many of the ingredients had to be changed from the original formulation because of EU safety and allergan rules. I like it, still, but there us nothing magical or extraordinary about it.

In addition to Sherwood's book, I may or may not find some reference to these items in the other two books I am reading. Do you have them?

DRESSING THE MAN, Mastering the Art of Permanent Fashion
Alan Flusser

STYLE AND THE MAN
Alan Flusser

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you are correct crust, Antaeus - especially vintage - really can't be compared to virtually anything Penhaligon markets

David Copeland

Reaction score
enjoy them . . . . yes, vintage Antaeus anyway. the only Penhaligons i find acceptable are Endymion & Sartorial

"Lean, lithe and potent just like its Greek hero namesake. The most potent, long-lasting form of men's fragrance. For an unmistakably masculine presence, day and night. Cooling, revitalizing spray to use lavishly all over the body."

Ordered Antaeus today after reading some rave customer reviews at the Nordstrom's site.

I could not find any of the Penhaligon fragrances for sale at any leading USA stores, such as Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, or Saks. (Strange)

Thank you for you input,

David

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Lean, lithe and potent just like its Greek hero namesake. The most potent, long-lasting form of men's fragrance. For an unmistakably masculine presence, day and night. Cooling, revitalizing spray to use lavishly all over the body."

Ordered Antaeus today after reading some rave customer reviews at the Nordstrom's site.

I could not find any of the Penhaligon fragrances for sale at any leading USA stores, such as Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, or Saks. (Strange)

Thank you for you input,

David

Saks used to carry a few Penhaligon but the brand wasn't sexy enough for, what i term, the lemmings
if you REALLY want to treat yourself, try to track down at least a sample of pre 1985 Antaeus just to compare pre IFRA regulation with now

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads