• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pen thread

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a great thread regarding pens before the Great Crash of '06. I'm looking to buy my sister a nice pen for graduation. Before I run to my local Mont Blanc, does someone have a recommendation for something more esoteric? Reputable online sources would be great also.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $200-$400. How much pen does that by one? Are there any clear favorites in this range? And for someone who's never picked up a nice pen in their lives (me), would a fountain or ball-point pen be better?

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think spending more than $200 for a ballpen is a little silly (no offense), because the mechanism is the same as a $5 pen. But it's not a bad idea is she has never used a FP before and may never use one if you buy it for her. You might want to think about buying both a fp and a ballpoint. Montblanc is fine, but I find them really boring. More of a status pen for non-"stylophiles". If you do get a fountain pen, $200 will get you a nice one. $400 will get you an excellent pen, top of the line, with many more design options. Be sure to get a solid gold nib (plating wears off, and steel does not adapt to the writer like gold). I'd also recommend getting a cartridge/coverter pen, which can take both plastic cartridges or draw up ink from a pot. The former is more convenient, the latter gives your more options for ink. The easiest cartridges to find are Waterman. Brands to check out: Aurora, Conway Stewart, Delta, Omas, Parker, Pelikan, Waterman. One of my personal favorite fountain pens is the Namiki Vanishing Point. A unique design, solid 14kt gold nib, and just over $100. http://fountainpenhospital.com/colle...p?CK=70&MFG=22

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a gift, particularly for a person without an interest in fine pens, I'd suggest skipping the fountain pen. This is partly because they're prone to leak and partly because some people find them a bit much for daily use. Personally, I like rollerballs. A good blend of convenience and style.

One thing to consider is how your sister will use and treat her pen. If it's going to get tossed in the bottom of her purse, then you'll need a pen that is much more durable than if she's going to keep it on her desk at home. Some pen materials are prone to chipping and fare poorly when exposed to rough-and-tumble daily use. If she's the type to take good care of her things, this will be much less of an issue.

As for recommendations, I'm a big fan of Waterman. You can get some very nice pens relatively inexpensively.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pens are so personal that unless you really want to give a surprise, I suggest you take your sister to your local pen store and let her pick one out herself. Ideally not a single brand store like Mont Blanc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads