• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pen Stain in Suit Lining

ahl88

Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions for getting this out? Not pretty, but it's only in the lining... that said, I'd like to see if there's any hope of getting some or all of the stain out.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very doubtful if that is possible. I would rather just ignore it rather than try and possibly cause more damage. If you are really that worried, have the thing relined.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you fancy experimenting and don't mind taking the risk of making a bad situation worse, a home remedy could be to carefully blot it with small amounts of isopropanol (rubbing alcohol). I'd have thought that should dissolve ink, and then you can lift it off with a sponge. Beware the risk of it seeping through to the other side! Best would probably be to unstitch it so you can get something absorbent underneath the lining to prevent it seeping into the main material. Of course, you'd then have to restitch the lining and this is all very time-consuming and requiring of skill. Since it's near the pocket area, you may be able to get around this problem by placing the blotting material inside the pocket and manipulating the stained area so it sits above that material.

Alternatively, just take it to a dry cleaner and ask their advice!

As GBR suggests above, an expensive (but much more certain to work safely) solution would be relining.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
If you fancy experimenting and don't mind taking the risk of making a bad situation worse, a home remedy could be to carefully blot it with small amounts of isopropanol (rubbing alcohol). I'd have thought that should dissolve ink, and then you can lift it off with a sponge. Beware the risk of it seeping through to the other side! Best would probably be to unstitch it so you can get something absorbent underneath the lining to prevent it seeping into the main material. Of course, you'd then have to restitch the lining and this is all very time-consuming and requiring of skill. Since it's near the pocket area, you may be able to get around this problem by placing the blotting material inside the pocket and manipulating the stained area so it sits above that material.

Alternatively, just take it to a dry cleaner and ask their advice!

As GBR suggests above, an expensive (but much more certain to work safely) solution would be relining.

alcohol should take the ink out with little problem, but as mentioned above, make sure you have something quite thick and absorbent in-between it and the outside material. It will soak through otherwise.

stubloom

Reaction score
An ink stain on lining is not something you want to experiment with at home. Find a dry cleaner with:

* an on-premises, skilled stain removal technician (not a cleaner with a guy in the back loading and unloading a dry cleaning machine who, on occasion, experiments on customer garments by throwing a little of this and a little of that on the stain and then claims that "sorry, we tried but we couldn't remove the stain"), and

* an on-premises, skilled tailor or seamstress (they're going to have to open up the lining to work on the stains on the lining and likely replace the pocket that the pen leaked into).

Why a skilled stain removal tecnician? Because some inks are water soluble, some are solvent soluble, some are soluble to different type of ink removing chemical agents, and some may be partially soluble but have a permanent ink base to them. The likelihood that your'e going to hit the target with the one product you pull out of the bathroom, kitchen or laundry room are close to zero. What's more, you'll probably make a doable job almost impossible.

That having been said, please ignore any advice that involves the use of hairspray.

It's a Brioni. It's with saving. It's worth doing it right.

Tweedy

Reaction score
I wouldnt risk making it worse, take it to a pro as suggested
smile.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tweedy
I wouldnt risk making it worse, take it to a pro as suggested
smile.gif

that^^.

ahl88

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I will see if I can find a trustworthy professional. To that end, anyone have suggestions in the Philadelphia area?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stubloom
An ink stain on lining is not something you want to experiment with at home. Find a dry cleaner with:
Stu, it's inevitable that people will accuse you of self-promotion with all your links back to your commercial site, but the articles there are so informative why not link to them? I would like to add my voice to the chorus that says you have brought a lot to this forum. OTOH, if I were the OP, I'd just live with the lining stains.

stubloom

Reaction score
KObalto: Thanks for saying what I've wanted to say for some time, particularly in light of the vicious attack last week on my motives by one SFer who, apart from attacking my motives, contributed absolutely nothing to the discussion himself. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=236690&page=2 I'm happy to share my professional perspectives on the subject of garment care and ask nothing in return. SFers are free to accept or reject my opinions. I just put them out for consideration based on 23 years of dealing with these issues on a daily basis. As you might appreciate, my time is not unlimited. If I have already written a post on a specific subject under discussion, I'll link to that post in order to save time. The alternative would be to take that original post, copy, edit and repost on SF as "something new". That, I think, is an absolute waste of my time. Stu

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
KObalto: Thanks for saying what I've wanted to say for some time.

Stu

It's weird. If you were a tailor explaining how you do things differently, people would be salivating over you. I'm on the other side of the country and have never used your company but have learned a lot from you.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
KObalto: Thanks for saying what I've wanted to say for some time, particularly in light of the vicious attack last week on my motives by one SFer who, apart from attacking my motives, contributed absolutely nothing to the discussion himself.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...=236690&page=2

I'm happy to share my professional perspectives on the subject of garment care and ask nothing in return. SFers are free to accept or reject my opinions. I just put them out for consideration based on 23 years of dealing with these issues on a daily basis.

As you might appreciate, my time is not unlimited. If I have already written a post on a specific subject under discussion, I'll link to that post in order to save time. The alternative would be to take that original post, copy, edit and repost on SF as "something new". That, I think, is an absolute waste of my time.

Stu

I just read that post^^^and did see it last week....though not that part...HARDLY vicious!!

N. McKay

Reaction score
If all attempts to remove the stain fail, would it be feasible to have some sort of label sewn on over it as an alternative to relining the jacket?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads