- Sep 30, 2008
- Reaction score
(I email to check in.)We regret to inform you that there will be a delay of 8-10 weeks before the Havant is expected to be available for despatch to us from the factory.
Sorry to disappoint you.
May we please ask you to confirm whether you wish to wait for the Havant, or cancel the order in view of the delay.
(I email to check in.)Thank you for your e-mail, and for keeping your order for the Havant with us. Your new footwear will be promptly despatched to you as soon as production is completed at the factory. We would feel that the size 9 is most likely to be correct for you.
Meanwhile thank you for the order and your patience during this transaction.
Thank you for your e-mail.
We regret to advise you that Alfred Sargent have now informed us that the Havant will not now be available.
Naturally we are as disappointed as you will be.
We have taken the style off our Web Site except for the sizes we have in our Retail Shop.
It appears that Alfred Sargent have decided to re construct their company and no in stock service is available.
Trust we may be of better assistance to you in the future.
Meanwhile, thank you for your continued interest in our company.