1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pearls

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Concordia, Jan 20, 2005.

1. JoeWoah

JoeWoah Senior member

Hollywood for Ugly People... Washington, DC
    keshi pink [​IMG]
    I got a necklace and earring set of Keshi Pink for my gf last Christmas. Not an easy find, my mom actually found them for me in Lisbon. They weren't as expensive as I expected though. She doesn't care for plain white pearls, they wash out with her very light skin tone. I also bought Mikimoto Tahitian pearls the year before that, and the quality and look is top notch. I thought their white pearls were nice too.

2. robin

robin Senior member

Edit: From what I can tell, these are not so easy to find and the price range may be higher that what you gave. I will certainly be interested in looking at them if I can find a pair.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they cost much more than that. SoCal, where did you get that price range from?
    I got a necklace and earring set of Keshi Pink for my gf last Christmas. Not an easy find, my mom actually found them for me in Lisbon. They weren't as expensive as I expected though.
    Keshi's can vary quite a bit in price as well, for the same reasons that regular pearl prices will vary.

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. robin

robin Senior member

If it was me picking out pearls for someone, I'd go with the smaller South Seas or Akoyas, in a natural color that would be suited to the person's skin tone.

I'm also sending you a PM in moment.

5. dopey

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

I was talking about $50,000-$90,000 for a necklace.

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I was talking about $50,000-$90,000 for a necklace.

holy shit.

8. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Mikimoto, Tasaki, and Tiffany would be my choices, in order.

9. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Necro posting because I am interested in the same subject. i wonder what Concordia did.

I recently went to buy some pearl earrings for my daughter. A quick comparison showed me that the difference between Mikimoto and ordinary stuff is huge. The Mikimoto pearls are brighter and whiter and have more lustre. The difference to a goombah like me is obvious when you are looking for it. I was pretty amazed how obvious it is, even when worn, to women who know the difference. I didn't get to Tiffany, but the Mimimoto pearls were way nicer than the ones at Fortunoff.

Now to my question. Anyone have similar advice or information on colored pearls. I have been told that I am now interested in buying blue pearl studs (maybe black or pink). Any advice.

I too would be interested in more info on this.

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

keshi pink
    [​IMG]

Those sort of look like the bargain version of Baroque pearls, which I gather are even rarer.

11. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Necro posting because I am interested in the same subject. i wonder what Concordia did.

I procrastinated. She is just 12, and has a freshwater necklace from her grandparents waiting for her 16th. That leaves me on the hook for 18 and 21, and if I were prudent I'd put something away now just in case my plane goes down next month. But I haven't yet.

Thanks, all, for the new info. Very interesting.

12. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

I know a bit about pearls... Talking about cultured, commonly available ones there are four main types, determined by the type of mollusk they come from: 1. Freshwater pearls - Least expensive, commonly smaller than the other types of pearls, naturally come in lighter colors (white, pink, lavender,etc.), most darker colored ones are dyed. Off-round (aka baroque) shapes are common. More durable than other pearl types because they consist of solid nacre (the pearly substance giving the pearl its appearance). Freshwaters do not have the same depth of glossy finish found on other types of pearls. IMHO, premium freshwater pearls are a good choice for an everyday necklace. 2. Akoya - generally larger (7-9mm common), shinier, and more expensive than Freshwater type. Nacre layer is thinner, because each oyster builts up a layer of nacre around a ball inserted into it. Akoya is what most people think of when they think of pearls. Untreated/undyed Akoya are mostly white and white with light color overtones. A large percentage of Mikimoto pearls are super-premium Akoya. Super-Premium Akoyas are also available from other retailers as well as online. 3. Tahitian - larger than Akoya (9-12+mm common). Best known for their natural dark color with various mettalic overtones. The only type of pearls with naturally dark coloring. Somewhat thicker nacre than Akoya. More expensive than Akoya. Round and slightly off-round shapes common. Average sized baroque necklace could be a good value compared to perfect round ones IMHO. Meryl Streep wears a gorgeous strand of huge baroque Tahitian pearls in some of her movies (The Manchurian Candidate, The Devil Wears Prada) which must have cost a fortune. 4. South Sea - the largest and most expensive pearls (13mm average). Most often encountered in lighter colors (gold, white, silver) having an incredible depth to their finish. Pearl grading is not as standartized as diamond grading so when a particular retailer assigns a certain grade to some pearls it is mostly helpful in comparing them to other pearls this retailer sells but not to other retailers. I placed a few orders with Pearl Paradise and has been generally happy with their service (except for one time when one of their geniuses in Shipping, put my Fedex overnight package in a USPS mailbox). They claim to buy pearl harvests in bulk and wholesale to other websites.

13. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

I saw in the Equinox magazine today at the gym a Yohji Yamamoto for Mikimoto pearl "moon" ring. It was $1200 in white gold and had a large smooth brushed surface and then a single silvery akoya off to the side.

Found a pic, it is the bottom center.

http://joiabr.blogspot.com/2007/10/j...esperadas.html

14. dopey

15. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

That is a nice ring. I should have mentioned that my wife does not really wear any jewelry. In fact, even earrings would be a stretch for her. The piece you showed is fine for someone who wears lots of jewelry all the time and mixes it up. I think in my, case, I need something pretty classic and un-designed.
    How about something like this? You can specify an overtone (Peacock, silver, green, cooper). I prefer the peacock. [​IMG]

16. dopey

17. Jazzi

Jazzi Senior member

Go to India for cheap pearls

18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

The necklace on the right is stunning. Perhaps you should just buy her the entire collection [​IMG].

[​IMG]

19. dopey

20. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

MG]
    This really was mind-blowingly beautiful. Not cheap, though. BTW, did you notice how the pearls in the necklace you posted graduated in color? This is really nice stuff.

That one is really nice. The entire collection seems very well thought out, which is not surprising as his clothing line is, at least to me, consistently the most interesting around.