1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Pearl Stud Earrings for the GF.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by hboogz, Jul 25, 2011.

1. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

I can't afford Mikimoto right now and am looking for good alternatives in the $100 -$200 range. I'm in NYC and the default would be Tiffany's....any other suggestions/recommendations?

H

2. Kyoung05

Kyoung05 Senior member

IMO, I think the best pearls for the buck are from www.pearlparadise.com. I believe Mikimotos are just branded Hanadama akoya pearls (the highest grade of akoya pearls). You can get non-Mikimoto branded hanadamas through Pearl Paradise for a fraction of the cost, and they'll likely look just as good. You can get a set of 7-7.5mm Hanadama pearl studs for $230. Alternatively, you can get a set of 8-8.5mm "regular" akoya pearl studs for $185.

However, if you're on a budget, I'd highly recommend the "Freshadamas" that Pearl Paradise carries. These are fresh water pearls that closely resemble the luster of akoya/hanadama pearls. However, because they're fresh-water pearls as opposed to salt-water, they're 100% nacre (the calcium secreted by oysters that is basically the "pearl"). Salt-water pearls, on the other hand, are made up of a shell center and a thin coating of nacre (about .5mm for akoya pearls). Therefore, over time, the thin nacre coating on salt-water pearls can wear away, causing the pearl to lose some of its luster. This is not a concern with fresh water pearls. More importantly, these fresh water pearls are a fraction of the cost of their salt-water counterparts, and arguably, look just as good. I got my gf a pair of these for Valentines day, and she loves them. You can get a pair of 8-8.5mm Freshadama studs for $99, and a set of 9.5-10mm studs for $131. For the money, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better value.

3. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

Thanks for the info.

boogz