• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peale & co. shoes at brooks brothers

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forum is at least partly up and working. Â BB website just announced $100 OFF for Peale & Co. shoes. Â It appears all styles. Sorry about the mistaken grammar in the original post (I just edited it).
sad.gif

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received that catalog in the mail. 40% off Peal's is a great deal, IMO. I really like the Algonquin model -- which looks similar to EG's Dover.

But even at that great price, I'm still holding out for the day when an EG Dover or the similar Lobb version appears on EBay in my size....

Duveen

Reaction score
Aren't we fairly sure that Peale shoes are made by Sargent? I know that the DC store on Conn Ave is selling the Sargent Highgrove (says it on the inside and looks the same). Why pay $268 when you can get it from Pediwear for $189 delivered?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I think the latest I read was that C&J was still making at least some models of the Peal. I believe you could tell by how the stamping was done on the shoe. The C&J models used gold lettering, perhaps? Perhaps someone will chime in on that.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duveen,
What model on Pediwear were you looking at? Do you have a discount code or something?

Duveen

Reaction score
No discount at Pediwear, but I am thinking of a particular shoe.  I am particularly interested in the Highgrove (lighter suede).  The Peal shoe of the same style had Highgrove stamped in gold lettering on the inside.  In addition, the soles had the half-moon shape and stamping that I saw on a real live Highgrove with the Sargent name on it at Sky Valet, a shoe store in Georgetown.

Either Pediwear or Bodiley's (I forget which) offers free shipping and both have about the same prices. For the Highgrove the price  is (Excl VAT: £106.37) .  That converts to USD195 or so at the current exchange rate of 1.83 USD/GBP.  That is a good $73 cheaper than the same model at BB (I didn't see it on website, but it is avail in store).

That's just one example and I am happy to be corrected if there are C&Js there. If someone can tell me how to ID the C&J shoes accurately, I would love to take advantage of the sale. To me a number of the shoes on the BB site look a lot like Sargent Premier line models, but I don't know for sure how to find out.

I DO know that the Peal label does cover a few Alden cordovan shoes, but didn't see those discounted online. If someone has definitive intel on this I'd love to hear it..

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just received that catalog in the mail. 40% off Peal's is a great deal, IMO. I really like the Algonquin model -- which looks similar to EG's Dover.
The pattern is similar, but it lacks the hand-stitched apron and toe seam. Still, it's a nice shoe. That particular shoe is, I believe, made by C&J. The easiest way to differentiate C&J-made Peal shoes from the Alfred Sargent-made Peal shoes is to look at the slugging on the heel: C&J will have one row of brass slugs around the perimeter of the heel while AS will have two. The interior stamping and size markings are also different and distinctive, but those are harder to explain without pictures.

Duveen

Reaction score
Jcusey, I am guessing there is no way to use online pictures to determine provenance? I am not sure that my store will carry all the models that I find interesting. I ask because the other shoe I was thinking of at BB is the Square Cap Toe Blucher here. Â Which could be either the Crockett & Jones Connaught at Pediwear, which looks to have a slightly rounded toe, or the AS Wigmore. Â Guidance on maker for this shoe?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads