1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Peal & Company Brooks Brothers Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Artisan Fan, Aug 31, 2009.

1. stevent

stevent Senior member

If you are going to buy a Mercedes, would you consider them all the same? Is a standard E class built the same as and performs the same as an AMG version? For some people they might, but for any consumer with a bit of common sense, one would take a minute to research about each model. But in the end you are buying a Mercedes are you not?

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

3. jreigen

jreigen Senior member

Or AS. (Alfred Sargent). I can never tell without at least seeing the sizing script inside or the sole/heel pattern. That being said something looks C&Jish about them to me.

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Edit: Nevermind, replied to wrong post

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  5. ruthlessgravity

ruthlessgravity New Member

Any other guesses on these? They are on sale as part of BB semi-annual event. The heel doesn't match any of the others on the site nor does it match any of the heels I've looked at from the three known BB British manufacturers.

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Don't recognize the heel, but at $448, they are not the C&J. C&J prices are up to $598. Loake is still the best guess.

7. othertravel

99% sure it's Loake. The font inside of the shoe gives it away.

The C&J font is smaller.

8. othertravel

I recommend you check out Steve Smith's thread. He has C&J Peal shoes at a fraction of the retail.

9. Schweino

Schweino Senior member

Do you have a link?

10. othertravel

x post: Who makes the BB made in Italy shoes?

11. oznoflash

oznoflash New Member

The peal lightweight bal perforated captoe (retail $468) appear to be loakes based on forum opinion. How does the loake quality compare to the Allen Edmonds independence line?

12. Patek

Patek Senior member

This!

13. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I don't have any basis to this, but I always thought that Loake was either below or on par with AE's regular line.

14. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Based on the ones I have seen in person, I think that's a pretty fair assessment. Maybe you can argue above AE regular, below Independence. But that's really cutting it fine.

The Peals I have seen made by Loake are far below the AS and C&J Peals that I own and have seen.

And this is just my opinion - but I would probably save the money and go for the Allen Edmonds for Brooks rather than the Loake Peals.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I find it interesting that EG's aren't labeled as "Peal" similar to the other UK makers. I guess keeping the EG name brings more marketing.

16. MSTRKRFT

MSTRKRFT Well-Known Member

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-Co.®-Wingtip-Balmorals/467H,default,pd.html

I have no experience with C&J shoes or dress shoes in much generally, so would anyone give me their personal experiences with the quality of this Wingtip Balmoral? It looks very traditional and old-fashioned, but I like it very much. Would like to basically know how the quality/build/etc is in comparison with brands such as Alden and AE (better, worse, or comparable). Thank you very much!

17. partyof6

partyof6 Senior member

I've been wondering the same thing. I really want to try C&J but am unsure if the Peal version is the same quality. The BB salesperson told me that their corporate sale (30% off) is on March 20, which makes this a very tempting option.

Is Peal a good choice for a first pair of C&J, or should I pick up something from the C&J store in NYC?

18. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

From my understanding, the quality of BB Peals are somewhere between the bench grade line and the hand grade line due to the construction of the shoe. So if you're comparing the bench grade line, the BB Peal is a great alternative given that you find the last appealing.

19. partyof6

partyof6 Senior member

Yes...sorry...I should have mentioned that. I'm trying to compare Peal to the C&J bench grade/main collection.

My understanding is that even the C&J bench grade is superior to Alden and AE calfskin. Is that accurate? Thanks for your feedback.