Peal & Company Brooks Brothers Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Artisan Fan, Aug 31, 2009.

1. taxgenius

taxgenius Senior member

Are these any good?

MSRP of $488, now on sale at 50%. I was just wondering if the quality was any good or if they were benchmade.

How can you have so many posts and not know the answer [​IMG]

2. athletics

athletics Senior member

3. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Either A&S or C&J (hey, who knew ? [​IMG] )
    BTW, there's a reason they wound up in the small timer's bin.

4. Spiral Stairs

Spiral Stairs Active Member

5. phillyesq

phillyesq Senior member

Have you received notice of the promo? I haven't received an e-mail yet, and I walked by the Philadelphia store this morning and didn't see a sign.

6. Bartolo

Bartolo Senior member

Have you received notice of the promo? I haven't received an e-mail yet, and I walked by the Philadelphia store this morning and didn't see a sign.

I was going to ask much the same. Do I not get emails about these because I don't have their credit card? I'm on their email list, and I have a "corporate membership" discount card.

7. Spiral Stairs

I got a card in the mail a few days ago and an e-mail a few minutes ago. The online code is "friend85", and it's 30% off.

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

How about these?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

With the current friends and family promotion, they're only $140...

For good reason, I'd say. I have the same style in a different color, but that is one of the least attractive shades I've seen.

9. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

For good reason, I'd say. I have the same style in a different color, but that is one of the least attractive shades I've seen.

Yikes!

10. Spats

Spats Senior member

I find that on the few English made shoes I have (JLP and Peal), the leather at the laces comes completely together, one side touches the other, when laced. This prevents the laces from pulling the shoe tighter around one's foot. It also makes the shoe look more "put together" in a sense, the tongue is almost completely hidden, etc. But it does also seem to eliminate the wearer's ability to wear the shoe tighter than a point predetermined by the guy who cut the leather in the first place. American shoes never seem to be cut this way.
    Is this just "the way it is" with English made shoes? Does this apply to all English shoes? As a person with somewhat narrower feet than the average bear, it has kept me away from buying English shoes, on occaision, especially as they are so seldom offered in widths, just like sneakers at Wal-Mart.
    Anyone else noticed this or found it to be a problem for them?

11. Spiral Stairs

Yikes is right -- I just bought them!

Yikes!

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bear in mind, I'm colorblind, so give my opinion all the weight it deserves. [​IMG]

I think the design is very handsome. I just don't go for calf shoes that pale.

13. brimley

brimley Senior member

How about these?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

With the current friends and family promotion, they're only $140...

Would these take shoe cream well? Or are you supposed to let them sit in the sun a bit to give them color?

14. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Is there any other coupon code floating around that I could stack with 'friend85'?

I find that on the few English made shoes I have (JLP and Peal), the leather at the laces comes completely together, one side touches the other, when laced. This prevents the laces from pulling the shoe tighter around one's foot. It also makes the shoe look more "put together" in a sense, the tongue is almost completely hidden, etc. But it does also seem to eliminate the wearer's ability to wear the shoe tighter than a point predetermined by the guy who cut the leather in the first place. American shoes never seem to be cut this way.
    Is this just "the way it is" with English made shoes? Does this apply to all English shoes? As a person with somewhat narrower feet than the average bear, it has kept me away from buying English shoes, on occaision, especially as they are so seldom offered in widths, just like sneakers at Wal-Mart.
    Anyone else noticed this or found it to be a problem for them?

I've also had this issue with some English shoes. Felt tongue pads + 3/4 orthotic/insole works very well. While some BB Peals are available in a C width, they'd actually be too narrow for me. The problem has more to do with having a bit too much volume across the instep, combined with a somewhat larger heel area. I believe the reason some American shoes fit better is that they're made on combination lasts (even if they're not marked as such i.e. current AE shoes). A 9D would in fact be a 9D/B with D being the width at the forefoot while B is the width at the heel. While I'm confident that English shoemakers also take that width difference into account, I'm not sure how much of it is factored into their last designs.

15. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Would these take shoe cream well? Or are you supposed to let them sit in the sun a bit to give them color?

Interesting idea. They could end up looking fantastic, or even uglier.