• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peal Co. perforated suede medallion captoe

mg428

Reaction score
Do you own the Peal Co. perforated suede medallion captoe (semi brogue) shoes made for Brooks Brothers?

I am sure these are from AS but I am trying to find out whether these are the same with AS's Highgrove model. Although they resemble too much, as far as I see from the photos, I believe they are different in two respects. First, the stiching on the Highgrove has a lighter shade that that of the Brooks'. Second, AS has, in general, a lighter sahde of brown. BTW, BB says that is it light brown, whereas Pediwear says that it is tobacco suede, though Brooks sometimes does not indicate the accurate color code/name.

So if someone can tell me whether these are the same or if not, whether the Brooks version has a darker shade of brown, I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
when you have even the slightest doubt on anything, dont pick it up. it's better to have peace of mind than to save a little money. are you thinking about buying that online? if the authenticity concerns you that much you should just pick one up at the official store.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbtbandit67
when you have even the slightest doubt on anything, dont pick it up. it's better to have peace of mind than to save a little money. are you thinking about buying that online? if the authenticity concerns you that much you should just pick one up at the official store.
+1

Bumble_Bee

Reaction score
I don't know if they are the same shoes, but the color depicted on the picture from BB is not accurate. The BB medallion I have is light brown, much closer to the "shoerotations" pics. They are probably from AS based on nail patterns.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dbtbandit67

Thank you for contributing. I definetely concur with you. The thing is that the item is going to be shipped to an APO address (to a U.S. military base located in Europe) so I don't have a chance to try on or see it myself. Otherwise, if ı were in the U.S., I would already saw and tried it.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bumble_Bee
I don't know if they are the same shoes, but the color depicted on the picture from BB is not accurate. The BB medallion I have is light brown, much closer to the "shoerotations" pics. They are probably from AS based on nail patterns.

Great thanks!

Is it possible that you post some photos of your BB shoes? I will really appreciate it.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BB shoes are very close if not the same in color,I do have that pair and I believe it is called snuff suede,very nice pair.It is made by AS but it is lovely.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
BB shoes are very close if not the same in color,I do have that pair and I believe it is called snuff suede,very nice pair.It is made by AS but it is lovely.

OK, a final question: The only thing I did not like about the AS Highgrove is the almost white stiching.

How about the stiching on the BB model? Is it tonal with the overall color of the shoes or if not, is it like the AS Highgrove?

Thanks.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg428
OK, a final question: The only thing I did not like about the AS Highgrove is the almost white stiching.

How about the stiching on the BB model? Is it tonal with the overall color of the shoes or if not, is it like the AS Highgrove?

Thanks.

I don't remember exactly,I'll take a look when I get home but I think there was no white stitching and it was pretty seamless. I will try to post a pic for you,those are swell shoes and at current sale,they will be pretty cheap.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I don't remember exactly,I'll take a look when I get home but I think there was no white stitching and it was pretty seamless. I will try to post a pic for you,those are swell shoes and at current sale,they will be pretty cheap.

That will be perfect. Especially if you can post some pictures.

The AS Highgrove is about 185 dollars with free shipping from pediwear (lucky me I wear one of the two avaiable sizes)

The BB comes to approx. 311 dollars after 15% off + $18 shipping = approx. $330 (I am not going to pay tax)

The BB model, despite the huge discounts, is almost twice more expensive.

I hope the photos you will post do not make me a dumb and compel me to buy the BB model.
bounce2.gif

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That will be perfect. Especially if you can post some pictures.

The AS Highgrove is about 185 dollars with free shipping from pediwear (lucky me I wear one of the two avaiable sizes)

The BB comes to approx. 311 dollars after 15% off + $18 shipping = approx. $330 (I am not going to pay tax)

The BB model, despite the huge discounts, is almost twice more expensive.

I hope the photos you will post do not make me a dumb and compel me to buy the BB model.
bounce2.gif

Well,if AS is 185,I'd go with Highgrove.There maybe some slight changes in BB shoes as BB may have its own standards but I wouldn't pay a premium of $100 for BB shoes.But keep an eye on BB shoes,prices may even go lower,I wouldn't be surprised.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am quite sure the quality of the Highgrove < Peal. AS has different "lines" of shoes like any other maker (i.e. Rushden for Grenson, Benchgrade for C&J), and at that price, I am quite sure they represent the lowest of the AS line, so are not directly comparable IMO.

mg428

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I am quite sure the quality of the Highgrove < Peal. AS has different "lines" of shoes like any other maker (i.e. Rushden for Grenson, Benchgrade for C&J), and at that price, I am quite sure they represent the lowest of the AS line, so are not directly comparable IMO.

Well you are completely right. That's why it is recommended by most members of SF that one should buy from the premium series or a higher series of AS.

These shoes are, if you check out on pediwear.co.uk's website, from the premium line of AS. This shoes are almost identical with the Greenwich and Chantam model of AS in the same line, which are the burnished brown and black leather versions of Highgrove.

For some reason, unlike other shoes in the premium line including Greenwich and Chantam, Highgrove is on a great sale. I saw some posts in a thread over Ask Andy where people discuss Highgrove in 2002 or 2005, which was also on sale on pediwear at that time. It seems these shoes have been on sale on pediwear for so long and they cannot sell it out.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well you are completely right. That's why it is recommended by most members of SF that one should buy from the premium series or a higher series of AS.

These shoes are, if you check out on pediwear.co.uk's website, from the premium line of AS. This shoes are almost identical with the Greenwich and Chantam model of AS in the same line, which are the burnished brown and black leather versions of Highgrove.

For some reason, unlike other shoes in the premium line including Greenwich and Chantam, Highgrove is on a great sale. I saw some posts in a thread over Ask Andy where people discuss Highgrove in 2002 or 2005, which was also on sale on pediwear at that time. It seems these shoes have been on sale on pediwear for so long and they cannot sell it out.

If that's the case, and these are from the premium line and just dramatically price reduced, then I would go with the Highgrove.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
If that's the case, and these are from the premium line and just dramatically price reduced, then I would go with the Highgrove.

+1,the fact is Peal will not go down to $185 no matter what,it is just too low.You are much better off to get Highgrove.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads