1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Peal & Co Pebble Grain Chukka Boots at BB - Good sale price?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Flambeur, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Doc4

Doc4 Senior member

^ You won't need to whine. I felt a bit awkward calling myself, and so I called rather sheepishly, but the associate was very helpful and very nice. It's totally painless.

ditto.

2. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

[​IMG]

I'm still a bit torn about these. They look great. They're a little tight on my left foot. Would be nice to have for bad weather.

I'm sure glad I don't wear a size 12. I'd hate to order from BB and open my box to find grimslades creased, office worn returns! [​IMG]

Too bad they didn't work out for you, that burgundy color looks pretty nice.

3. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I'm sure glad I don't wear a size 12. I'd hate to order from BB and open my box to find grimslades creased, office worn returns! [​IMG]

Too bad they didn't work out for you, that burgundy color looks pretty nice.

No doubt they'll end up in an outlet at half the price I paid. The color isn't bad and I wanted to keep them, but I'm not going to do it.

4. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

No doubt they'll end up in an outlet at half the price I paid.

Whenever I visit relatives in NJ, I always go to a couple of BB outlets (Jersey Gardens, Jackson Outlets, etc) during my stay. I'm not impressed by the 346 stuff and iirc the limited shoe selection I've seen is also branded 346 and specially made for the outlets; I have no clue who the maker is though. I'll make sure to look out for heavily discounted regular merch.

5. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

The best one is supposedly in North Carolina, FWIW.

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Nice chukkas.

It's also great to hear how BB is honoring the discount to posters who've requested it.

7. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

@ grim
    Left foot could to be a tad larger due to the heart too being on the left.
    That's what I've been told way back when [​IMG]

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Here's a couple pictures to show the depth of color and the relatively elegant last/shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I received mine in suede and agree they look much better on the foot than in some of the pics. They're a nice compromise between the traditional Alden-style roundtoes and some of the more chiseled versions.

10. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

FYI I decided to apply some Sno-Seal (to the horror of my cobbler) to proof it a bit against the (soon to be) harsh Boston weather and the results were good -- not too greasy, and the color did not darken as much as I was warned it would.

11. MORNINGSTAR777

MORNINGSTAR777 Senior member

Are chukka boots only to be worn casually (jeans, chinos) and never with a suit and/or pants & sportcoat?

12. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

Here's a couple pictures to show the depth of color and the relatively elegant last/shape.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These pictures are an accurate representation of the color, and obviously the shape. I've polished mine with cordovan kiwi paste and chili ae cream and essentially kept this color.

13. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Are chukka boots only to be worn casually (jeans, chinos) and never with a suit and/or pants & sportcoat?

I plan on wearing mine with pants and sportcoats as well as more casual clothing. I know the rubber bottom and the pebble grain takes it down a notch, but the last is pretty elegant and I have to be realistic with the weather conditions where I live.

14. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I think you can get away with chukkas when wearing slacks and a sportscoat, although it depends on the slacks and sportscoat and it depends on the chukka. The pebble grain on the Peals shown here make them pretty casual IMHO and perhaps not the best choice for most slacks, though I think they would work nicely with cords and a tweed coat. A sleeker chukka like a Tetbury would work well with many slacks.

I wouldn't push them to suit wear myself.

15. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Classic suit might be too much, but I don't see why not with a corduroy or country-tweed suit.

16. Cid

Cid Senior member

I received my brown suede chukkas in size 12 and quickly discovered that I need size 11.5 - these will be returned on Monday. If anyone has size 11.5 in either the suede or pebble grain that you are considering returning, please let me know.

grimslade commented that the best BB outlet is supposedly in NC - does anyone know where? Smithfield?

17. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I received my brown suede chukkas in size 12 and quickly discovered that I need size 11.5 - these will be returned on Monday. If anyone has size 11.5 in either the suede or pebble grain that you are considering returning, please let me know.

grimslade commented that the best BB outlet is supposedly in NC - does anyone know where? Smithfield?

Around Raleigh I think.

It's actually not the standard BB outlet, but the place where all the outlet leftovers go eventually. It's where the big Ebay BB sellers get their merchandise. I believe there was a thread abut 2 years ago in Ask Andy when somebody visited the store.

18. Cid

Cid Senior member

Thanks for the info, Lee. Smithfield is about 45 minutes from Raleigh - but that is definitely an outlet (part of Carolina Premium Outlets). Must be the Garland Clearance Center which is way out in the sticks about an hour and a half from Raleigh.

19. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

Around Raleigh I think.

It's actually not the standard BB outlet, but the place where all the outlet leftovers go eventually. It's where the big Ebay BB sellers get their merchandise. I believe there was a thread abut 2 years ago in Ask Andy when somebody visited the store.

Brooks Brothers
    Garland Shirt Company Factory Outlet
    15 East Front Street
    Garland, NC 28441

Hours:
    Monday-Saturday
    9:00 to 5:00
    (910) 529-1612

20. Cid

Cid Senior member

Thanks for confirming that maxnharry.