1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Peaked Lapels on Sport Coats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Count Basie, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Count Basie

Count Basie Member

How does everyone feel about the look? Are peaked lapels reserved strictly for suits or is it acceptable on sport coats as well??

2. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Fine with me.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I find the look sort of played out, very F/W 2004 (when everyone, their mom and their dog was making them), but it actually looks okay otherwise, imo.

Depends where you live and who your friends, ultimately. The look is probably going to catch on in Manton-land 50 years hence, about 45 years after it becomes the new, hip thing in Bloomington, Indiana.

4. masterfred

masterfred Well-Known Member

I'm sure Manton couldn't care less whether the peaked-lapel "look" is so "F/W xxxx" - there was handsome peaked lapel styling on sportscoats long before such fleeting considerations, and will be after the popular vogue has passed. if one is worried about le dernier cri, best to stick to the mall or sportswear specialty shop.

5. arkirshner

arkirshner Well-Known Member

I have a single breasted peaked lapel blazer I bought 17 years ago .
    I don't know about Indiana but when I wear it in Toledo I get a "somethings a little different but I don't know what" look. I've not seen another one.
    If I recall there is a picture of Clark Gable from the 30's in one of Flusser's books.

.If peak lapels are good enough for a tux theyr'e good enough for me.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

No one can take a joke these days  [​IMG] For the record, I've always thought that the peaked lapel was very flattering on a number of figures, which may explain their ubiquity. As for the look being so F/W XXXX, maybe it isn't a consideration if you live in a hermetic cell; but if you walk onto the street, and every second guy is wearing a single breasted, peaked lapel sportcoat, whether it was bought at Banana Republic or at Bergdorf Goodman, it can grate on your nerves after a while...

7. masterfred

masterfred Well-Known Member

Oops, LA Guy - I seem to have come across rather snitty. My apologies.......... [​IMG]

8. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Treat with caution. This would look stupid in tweed, for instance. Maybe with a dark blue jacket -- though not one with metal buttons; much better to get horn. It might look good with a more hard-finished, "dry" spring/summer cloth, like a linen or silk blend.

Still, I wouldn't wear one, but there are a lot of things I wouldn't wear.

9. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior Member

My first MTM sportscoats were with peak lapels. Both were SB.

I now feel that peak lapels are a little too dressy for a SB sportscoat. They are fine for DB. As Manton points out, they would look silly on a heavy tweed.

10. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

Thanks for your counsel, sir.  I was actually thinking it would look good in tweed.  I've got a book -- somewhere (been trying to find it) -- that collects Apparell Arts photos and I thought one or two appeared to be tweed -- maybe I mistook a "tweedy" pattern for the actual fabric.

EDIT: query for Mant & SOB: I don't have an opinion either way on peaked lapels on tweed, but _why_ would they look silly? Is it just one of those matters of taste?

11. dusty

dusty Distinguished Member

Because peaked lapels are a formal detail, and tweed is a very rough, informal fabric. I assume this is what they mean, at least.

12. Horace

That was my guess too, but then I got to thinking about whether the peaked was formal in any sense pre-mid-19th-c, or whether the peaked was a vestige from some military coat that saw it's collar turned back.

13. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Too crib a page from your book: "it would not be very trad".

14. Horace

(Horace @ June 18 2005,15:55) I don't have an opinion either way on peaked lapels on tweed, but _why_ would they look silly? Â Is it just one of those matters of taste?
    Too crib a page from your book: "it would not be very trad".
    Ah touche -- However, what Trad is and isn't is usually decided in a committee.

15. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior Member

To Horace:

I would skip peak lapels on tweed.

First, peak lapels are more formal than notch lapels. E.g., they are used on tails, morning coats, and DB coats. Generally, peak lapels are for city wear.

Second, tweed is a "country" cloth, therefore, it is for country and sportsclothes which are less formal clothes. A beefy, thornproof tweed is to be used when hunting or hiking, and a peak lapel would look odd. Furthermore, traditional tweed sportscoats intended for country wear can button up to the top with a latch which is very practical when it gets cold or wet in the field. Therefore, peak lapels would prove impractical for this application. A coat can be buttoned to the top with notch lapels.