1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Peak lapels on SC?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NeedAnM3, Aug 21, 2013.

1. NeedAnM3

NeedAnM3 Member

Hi all,

I'm wondering if it is acceptable to have peak lapels on an SC. For example, I'm wondering if this jacket can work as an SC or if it looks too much like an orphaned suit jacket since it is solid navy and has peak lapels? Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

2. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I think peaked lapels are acceptable. Just don't choose the obvious suiting fabric and hope it will look like a blazer or sports coat.

3. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I have one jacket with peak lapels and flap pockets, but it is very obviously an odd jacket fabric. Avoid smooth worsteds and fabrics that look like they belong on suits. The jacket pictured in the OP would look like an orphaned suit coat regardless of whether it had notch or peak lapels. Outside of a DB jacket, I'd avoid peak lapels with patch pockets. Seems somewhat incongruous to me.

4. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Peaks are fine, but that looks like an orphan. Of course, it may look more textured in person.

5. Sander

Sander Senior member

I'd say no to PL on sports jackets in general and big no to the sc in question.

6. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

David Niven in A Matter of Life and Death wears a peak lapel tweed sportcoat that is quite nice.

This was the best photo I could find online

[​IMG]

7. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

You can't argue with the Niv...

8. NeedAnM3

NeedAnM3 Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I like the look of peak lapels, but I very rarely wear suits. I was hoping maybe I could pull it off with an odd jacket but after reading your comments and thinking about it a little bit it seems like it would be tough to pull off well.