• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peak Lapels and Investment Banking - are they suitable?

BostonGeorge

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will be starting a new investment banking job soon and am in dire need of a new suit. I have found what looks to be a nice, plain black one however the only thing putting me off is that it has peak lapels, which look 'unusual' in comparison to the notched ones I have become accustomed to. The salesman assures me that this style is suitable for business but I am having my doubts about its place in banking, and think he is referring to the media / advertising side.

I would appreciate any insights from people working in banking or law to see what is actually worn in the office / appropriate.

bigstar[1].gif

Thanks very much!

Syd.

wizards11

Reaction score
interesting. also want to know the view on peak lapels on a SB 2 button suit...

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wizards11
interesting. also want to know the view on peak lapels on a SB 2 button suit...

The views have been covered ad nauseum.. but not specific to the finance field.

If they are not approved by the finance field, you should probably choose a different line of work.
smile.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do NOT buy a black suit for work....

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
Do NOT buy a black suit for work....

+1

The fact that it's black makes it unsuitable regardless of the shape of the lapels...

dks202

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
+1

The fact that it's black makes it unsuitable regardless of the shape of the lapels...

Black suits are for servants and undertakers....

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I assume you live in Boston?

Start with a regular navy or grey notch lapel suit, after a couple of weeks looking around your office, you decide if you think a black peak lapel will match what others (well dressed others) are wearing. The rules say nay nay but there's a social/political survival of fittest aspect too.

my bro's in IB and bought a 1b Peak lapel Black suit and I told him it's categorically not an appropriate daytime business suit and he wouldn't believe me. I told him at the least not to wear it in England.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Salesman should be ashamed of himself. Black suit???

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can't think of a worse suit to start out in finance than a black suit with peak lapels.

Wait until you start and get a feel for what is going on and what is worn in your environment

tj100

Reaction score
You could probably pull this off if it was your 10th suit that you wore very infrequently as sort of a trendy demonstration piece.

If you're thinking black peak lapel as an everyday article for finance - in Boston no less - it's not your best choice.

If you're in a business casual shop and only need a couple of suits for client meetings, your first one should be charcoal or navy, single breasted, two buttons. Your second one should be the same as your first one but in the other color.

Assuming you're a right-out-of-college analyst, it doesn't really matter what you wear, as long as it's presentable. But if you stray too far outside the charcoal/navy standards, you are liable to catch a little good natured flak.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was required as an intern to wear a one button peaked lapel black suit at an investment banking firm. However, the managing director was Dracula so, you know, it made sense.

Merlino

Reaction score
Currently working in investment banking. I've got one suit with peak lapels and I've been complimented a couple of times. Have a second one on the way, but they're both gray. As has been said numerous times, don't buy black suits. Neither for work nor for anything else.

ktrp

Reaction score
Don't buy it.

I think you could probably wear it. Peak lapels, normal men who don't hang out here don't care. They are vaguely aware their are different lapel styles. Peak is okay.

Black is 'against the rules'. It is less conservative then blue or navy. Can you wear black suits in your work place? Good chance yes (doesn't mean it looks great on you). Again - most people don't follow the rules that tightly in north america.

But you said you are 'in dire need of a suit'. That suggests to me you lack core suits. You should have a couple of suits that you can wear without hesitation regardless of who you are meeting. This suit isn't it.

If you are in dire need of a suit, get charcoal, then navy, or vice versa. Then perhaps another charcoal and navy, maybe with stripes. Then consider other colours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads