• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peacoats: H&M vs. fink (urban outfitters house brand?)

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey, SF.

I'm looking to get a good peacoat for the winter, which is rapidly approaching/already here in Chicago. I bought an H&M peacoat last week (the one without fussy detailing) but haven't yet worn it/taken the tags off because a) it's black, and I'd prefer navy or gray; b) the fit it a bit boxy with surprising low armholes, especially for H&M; and c) the wool is terribly itchy.

FWIW: it's this L.O.G.G. model:

However, I recently came across this jacket at UO, which looked nice enough. It's available in navy, it looks like it has more waist suppression/a generally slimmer fit, and it doesn't look like it'd be itchy at all. It also has a bit more of a casual air to it, which is good, considering that I'm a high school student.

So, will the Urban Outfitters jacket be remotely warm enough for winter in Chicago when worn over a sweater/thermal henley/warm longsleeve something-or-other with a scarf and gloves?

Thanks much,
wmmk

dano

Reaction score
Its made from cotton/polyester, so while it wont be itchy, it wont be as warm or thick, and its not a true peacoat.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoid polyester.

evpj2L

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk

So, will the Urban Outfitters jacket be remotely warm enough for winter in Chicago when worn over a sweater/thermal henley/warm longsleeve something-or-other with a scarf and gloves?

Thanks much,
wmmk

The UO pea coat is 0% wool, which makes me question whether it would be even remotely suitable for winter in Chicago. I too initially picked up one of those L.O.G.G. pea coats, and I was similarly disappointed at how boxy it fit. After checking out virtually EVERY store looking for my "perfect pea coat", I ended up picking up this one:
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do...346&pid=405550

Normally I would never even consider picking up something from Gap, but the fit of the coat was much better than the H&M one when I sized down one (had been wearing a small in the L.O.G.G., and grabbed an extra small in the Gap one). Extra small in the Gap one fit me PERFECTLY in the shoulders, and the overall coat is much less bulky. The fabric, while more thinly lined than the L.O.G.G., also felt a lot less itchy. The icing on the cake was that the pea coat lacked bizarre details (zippers, etc.) and nautical buttons, which I did not want, but tended to be on nearly every other pea coat I checked out. Yeah, it's still from Gap, but the quality of the specific coat seems on par with the h&m one (and possibly slightly better).

Unfortunately, the Gap pea coat seems to be sold out in smaller sizes at the moment (though I've been keeping my eye on the website, and they seem to restock from time to time).

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"soft knit jersey" equals T-shirt material. Not even a coat at all, really.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the Jcrew one is nice... but from what he said I'm guessing its both more than he wants to spend and the small will probably still be too big and boxy.
I'd suggest looking for one at Zara. I picked up a coat (toggle though not peacoat) from there right after it opened in september and I got a medium (i normally wear gap xs and h&m small) and it fit pretty slim and w/out any crazy details.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EDIT: sorry, posted without seeing some of the latest replies. So, I guess it's a no-go on the UO coat. Even the gap one seems a tad pricey for me (again, I'm in high school and am trying to save up for my first pair of raw denim) and it's black, which I'm not so keen on. I'll thrift around and look around SF B&S for nice, cheap, slim, navy/charcoal, traditionally (un)detailed peacoats. Out of interest, how much is the Zara peacoat? I live somewhat close to a Zara, but would not make the trek just to find that I can't even afford the coat. Anyhow, if I can't find a good peacoat, what else is in the sub $100 price range that is warm enough for what I was talking about (being worn over a sweater while walking around or to the bus/L), slim-fitting, and stylish but with a relatively minimalist aesthetic? Thanks again, wmmk

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Zara coat was a mid-thigh length toggle coat and i think $149... but they constantly change what they carry so they probably have different coats now. I think some of their winter coats go as low as $80-100, if that helps

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wait for sales, and buy something with atleast 70% wool

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just picked up this steven alan peacoat on sale at guise | chic on halsted last weekend and i love it...
SALA-MO1_V1.jpg

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chicago = really, really, cold. wool = really, really, warm.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clyde099
Take a look @ the J. Crew pea coat.

Originally Posted by wmmk
EDIT: sorry, posted without seeing some of the latest replies. So, I guess it's a no-go on the UO coat. Even the gap one seems a tad pricey for me (again, I'm in high school and am trying to save up for my first pair of raw denim) and it's black, which I'm not so keen on. I'll thrift around and look around SF B&S for nice, cheap, slim, navy/charcoal, traditionally (un)detailed peacoats.

Out of interest, how much is the Zara peacoat? I live somewhat close to a Zara, but would not make the trek just to find that I can't even afford the coat.

Anyhow, if I can't find a good peacoat, what else is in the sub $100 price range that is warm enough for what I was talking about (being worn over a sweater while walking around or to the bus/L), slim-fitting, and stylish but with a relatively minimalist aesthetic?

Thanks again,
wmmk

I second the J. Crew peacoat. I have one and it is a very nice coat and a good value. It compares favorably to many more expensive peacoats I've seen. The quality of the 100% wool shell is pretty good, and the quality of construction even better (not something that can always be said of J. Crew). The J. Crew peacoat is also nice and slim without being "fashiony"; it has a surprising nice silhouette with a good amount of waist, soft but defined shoulders, and high armholes.

Yes, the J. Crew peacoat is more than $100. There are two models - lined and unlined - for $225 and $275 respectively. My suggestion is that you shouldn't be penny wise and pound foolish here. A quality peacoat like the J. Crew model will never go out of style; buying a nicely made warm model now that will last 10 years is much cheaper than buying multiple cheap-os from the likes of OU or H&M and you will have a nicer garment all along to boot. I don't think you'll even find exactly what you are looking for in the $100 range w/o a lucky thrift find. Invest in your sartorial future my man...

EDIT: In fact I'd wager that you can get through the rest of high school, all of college, and even your first winter in the working world with a good peacoat as your only winter coat. The versatility of a good peacoat should make it worth a few extra beans alone. A good warm peacoat and something waterproof should be all that you need for a long while. You'll spend over $500 to get enough H&M/OU/Zara/(insert random "cheap chic" outfit here) peacoats to last you through college. Its like people that buy bespoke suits - they may take a financial hit in the short term, but they end up spending much less in the long term. What is smarter?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads