• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peacoat shopping in NYC

shortman506

Reaction score
I was gonna go into the city probably next weekend and I was wondering where to look for a peacoat with an approx. $300 budget? I was gonna check out charles tyrwhitt and see if they have any of those navy bridge coats in my size. Besides that, I'm lost as to where I should look. Any help would be much appreciated

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Schott NYC?

Figor

Reaction score
Kauffman Army Navy (45th st n 8th?) if you want the real, very heavy, peacoats. $150 each.

shortman506

Reaction score
ill be sure to check it out. do they have sterlingwear coats?

lightsaber

Reaction score
Peacoats are so short, and their lapels are so insanely wide. Double-breasted is a good thing for a winter coat, but there are more sensible options than peacoat, imho.

~former peacoat wearer

factorial

Reaction score
You know, it's really funny that there is this sudden vogue around SF for Sterlingwear coats. I've had mine in a 40L for a couple years purchased from the local surplus store and never thought to look at the brand until today. In any case, I'm sure if you checked a couple of good surplus stores you'd come across one easily. They're functional and definitely a better value than what you'd find at Macy's et al. but if you want something with a nicer fabric or possibly a slimmer style you would probably want to try looking for a coat from a label.

Figor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by shortman506
ill be sure to check it out. do they have sterlingwear coats?

They do. Not a lot of sizes to choose from, though. I picked up a navy blue Schott. As somebody else said here, Schott or Sterlingwear probably beat any other option below $200, but you can get much nicer looking, softer and lighter coats if you pay a bit more.

shortman506

Reaction score
ideally, i was looking for something a little more fashion-forward than the standard navy issue

STYLE_ADDICT

Reaction score
J. Crew has their offering at $190 reduced from $255 and they are running an online special right now, 15% off $100, 20% off $150, 25% off 200, and 30% off $250. Add a nice merino wool sweater @ $60 and you can have both shipped (with free shipping w/ promo code) for $175 plus tax.

shortman506

Reaction score
interesting... there is a j.crew near my house, maybe ill go check it out

shortman506

Reaction score
i really like the j.crew coat, it has a nice weight and cut to it. however, i still want to try the CT one. any other places I need to check besides the ones already mentioned?

falsestart

Reaction score
Dave's New York......... 6th ave and 17, short walk from JCrew which is on 5th........ they have a good selection of Schotts, thinner and heavier

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I recommend the JCrew coat. Its also on sale now for $198.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads