Peacoat or recommendations for an outerwear piece

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by Hawaianhamster, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Hawaianhamster

Hawaianhamster Member

I'm 26 and am looking for an outerwear piece that strikes a balance between maturity and youth. I originally wanted to get a peacoat, but the black and navy ones are a dime a dozen. I also associate them with frat boys back in undergrad (maybe this is a wrong association?). Then I looked into the JCrew camel topcoat and could see myself sizing down and wearing it casually over a sweater or tshirt + jeans. But when it came in, I disliked it because the bottom flaired out as if it was a dress and it made me look short since I'm 5"8. Are there any recommendations for an outerwear piece that doesn't seem to mold into the crowd? Recommendations or general article of clothing advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

2. datrat

datrat Member

I'm in the same boat... the only thing I can find that is flattering on my shorter frame that is long enough to cover a blazer is a barbour ashby, but they have this disgusting tartan that I can't look away from enough to pull the trigger. I wish I knew of a navy wool peacoat/car coat/top coat the same length as the Ashby without the ostentatious gigantic lapels of most peacoats (the simple collar of the ashby is preferable).

Tall guys can just get a jcrew chesterfield (or even the car coats they released last year) and not think about it but short guys are f*d

3. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Senior member

A Filson mackinaw cruiser in black wool might fit the bill here - just different enough to stand out in a sea of peacoats, and available in suitcoat sizes (i.e., not just S-M-L) so you can dial in a decent fit.