• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoat Fit Advice Please?

Jayzee18

Reaction score
Hello and Happy New Year to everyone!

I was wondering if I could please have some advice.

I recently purchased a couple of Peacoats from Ted Baker and Lands End.

Although they fitted me nicely I found that they were a little too long in length.

So I had them shortened a little.

I have found that when I wear them now I can see the edge of my trousers pockets protruding a little from the bottom of the Peacoats (please see photos).

And with the grey Peacoat, I've put an arrow on my side profile pic to show you what I mean.

I was a little worried that I may have shortened them a bit too much?

I was also wondering if the fit looks ok please?

Please feel free to take a look at the photos of me wearing them.

All feedback and honest advice is most welcome.

Thank you very much for reading and I appreciate your help.

Regards
Jay

Grey Peacoat (1).JPG
Grey Peacoat (2).JPG
Navy Peacoat (1).JPG
Navy Peacoat (2).JPG

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peacoat length is pretty subjective. I personally tend towards a longer peacoat than yours, but some people prefer shorter peacoats that end where yours end. I think (and only my opinion) that the reason why they may look a little off to me in your photos is not so much the length but how trim they are versus the silhouette of your trousers. The grey peacoat is too shaped for my taste. A peacoat should be straighter in the body, like your navy peacoat. The grey peacoat is too suppressed in the waist and it has the effect of making your hips look bigger than they are because of the flare at the bottom.

This is exacerbated by the second problem, which is that if you want to wear a trim peacoat, the trousers should be correspondingly trim. Instead the trousers are a little too relaxed for the cut of your peacoats. The whole effect is that you look bottom-heavy in your photos. Try a slimmer trouser (or a more relaxed peacoat cut).

notdos

Reaction score
I think both coats would look markedly better with a slimmer trouser. I think both coats would need to be longer and, possibly fuller, with the trousers pictured.

Phillip

whipcord

Reaction score
I personally think they would look better on you if they were a little longer, but I do not care for short coats myself.

Jayzee18

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your valued feedback. It is very much appreciated. I have lost some weight the last few months, but for the photos that I uploaded I was still wearing the same larger trousers from pre weight loss. I call it laziness from my part.

I've now dug up some of my trousers with a better fit and have paired them up with the same grey and navy two Peacoats.

And have tried them with my straight cut jeans and grey work trousers.

And I would be much obliged if I could please have your feedback again in terms of the proportion and fit?

If the consensus is still the same, then I need to start saving up again for some new coats ha-ha.

Thank you again.

Best Regards

Jay.
Blue Front With Jeans.JPG
Blue Side with Jeans.JPG
Grey Front with Jeans.JPG
Grey Side With Jeans.JPG
Blue Front With Work Trousers.JPG
Grey Side With Work Trousers.JPG

Jayzee18

Reaction score
Peacoat length is pretty subjective. I personally tend towards a longer peacoat than yours, but some people prefer shorter peacoats that end where yours end. I think (and only my opinion) that the reason why they may look a little off to me in your photos is not so much the length but how trim they are versus the silhouette of your trousers. The grey peacoat is too shaped for my taste. A peacoat should be straighter in the body, like your navy peacoat. The grey peacoat is too suppressed in the waist and it has the effect of making your hips look bigger than they are because of the flare at the bottom.

This is exacerbated by the second problem, which is that if you want to wear a trim peacoat, the trousers should be correspondingly trim. Instead the trousers are a little too relaxed for the cut of your peacoats. The whole effect is that you look bottom-heavy in your photos. Try a slimmer trouser (or a more relaxed peacoat cut).
Hi thank you very much for your valued feedback. Would you be kind enough to check my latest post please? I'd love to have your feedback on it. Thank you

Jayzee18

Reaction score
I think both coats would look markedly better with a slimmer trouser. I think both coats would need to be longer and, possibly fuller, with the trousers pictured.

Phillip
Hi Phillip thank you very much for your valued feedback. Would you be kind enough to check my latest post please? I'd love to have your feedback on it. Thank you

Jayzee18

Reaction score
I personally think they would look better on you if they were a little longer, but I do not care for short coats myself.
Hi thank you very much for your valued feedback. Would you be kind enough to check my latest post please? I'd love to have your feedback on it. Thank you

whipcord

Reaction score

I think the pics look fine. I think a lot of it comes to personal preference. But if you look at the 2nd to last pic of the navy coat where your arms hang at your sides, it is about 3 inches too short. It should be just long enough to where the ends of your fingers can wrap around the bottom of the hem.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks better, though I personally prefer a longer peacoat myself as well. Shortening the coats has left the bottom buttons closer to the hem than I'd like; the coats look a little unbalanced as a result. But I'd wear them for now (since they can't be lengthened) and you can decide for yourself.

Jayzee18

Reaction score
I think the pics look fine. I think a lot of it comes to personal preference. But if you look at the 2nd to last pic of the navy coat where your arms hang at your sides, it is about 3 inches too short. It should be just long enough to where the ends of your fingers can wrap around the bottom of the hem.
Thank you very much for your advice and feedback. It's very much appreciated.

Jayzee18

Reaction score
looks better, though I personally prefer a longer peacoat myself as well. Shortening the coats has left the bottom buttons closer to the hem than I'd like; the coats look a little unbalanced as a result. But I'd wear them for now (since they can't be lengthened) and you can decide for yourself.
Thank you very much for your advice and feedback. It's very much appreciated.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I prefer a longer coat.

If so inclined, always post and ask these types of questions before making alterations.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks a bit short to me.

For example I bought this peacoat 2 seasons ago and then sold it because it was too short for my taste, especially the sleeves.
In the end it is subjective. Bit the coat fits you well otherwise.
fullsizeoutput_e3b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_d3c.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads