• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoat Business Casual...

Jay687

Reaction score
Acceptable? What about if worn over sports jacket or blazer? I have a peacoat that is just big enough to layer with sweater or hoody (wasn't interested in going with super slim, cannot layer look, would rather be warm). So, it also just fits my sports jackets or blazer beneath it.

I have been trying to find a suitable 3/4 coat, but have been thinking that perhaps the peacoat would work?

It's grey and a few inches longer past my butt, basically a bit shorter than I'd want a 3/4 length jacket. It still does go beyond my blazer/jacket... so why not?

It would obviously be too casual for a suit, but what about business casual (chinos or wool pants, blazer or sports jacket, dress shirt/tie... )

What do you guys think?

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
Acceptable? What about if worn over sports jacket or blazer? I have a peacoat that is just big enough to layer with sweater or hoody (wasn't interested in going with super slim, cannot layer look, would rather be warm). So, it also just fits my sports jackets or blazer beneath it. I have been trying to find a suitable 3/4 coat, but have been thinking that perhaps the peacoat would work? It's grey and a few inches longer past my butt, basically a bit shorter than I'd want a 3/4 length jacket. It still does go beyond my blazer/jacket... so why not? It would obviously be too casual for a suit, but what about business casual (chinos or wool pants, blazer or sports jacket, dress shirt/tie... ) What do you guys think?
If you want something to put over your suit buy an over coat. There is no big rule that says don't wear your suit under your peacoat. Is a peacoat casual? Yes. If you live in a cold area like I do an over coat will do the job of looking professional and is functional. As far as what is acceptable with a peacoat, chinos, jeans, wool pants, dress shirts and ties, and vests, sweater vests, henleys shirts, etc. I wouldn't go to far as to say a sport jacket.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It'll be fine for business casual without a sportcoat, IMO.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll be perfectly fine.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As long as the peacoat is longer than the sportcoat, you'll be fine.

Jay687

Reaction score
For those saying that it's okay with nearly everything but a sports coat (or blazer assumably)... why?

Why do you believe having the jacket underneath changes things? Because it's too close to resembling a suit?

Remember, it is longer than the jacket, since having the jacket stick out would look... just a bit ridiculous, lol.

Edicron

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
For those saying that it's okay with nearly everything but a sports coat (or blazer assumably)... why?

Why do you believe having the jacket underneath changes things? Because it's too close to resembling a suit?

Remember, it is longer than the jacket, since having the jacket stick out would look... just a bit ridiculous, lol.

Because typically wearing a blazer is a step up on the formal side and also adds a layer especially noticeable on the shoulders, an overcoat is meant for this scenario. I suppose if the peacoat is the larger for layering purposes then it wouldn't be too bad. An overcoat just seems better suited for the situation...

Jay687

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edicron
Because typically wearing a blazer is a step up on the formal side and also adds a layer especially noticeable on the shoulders, an overcoat is meant for this scenario. I suppose if the peacoat is the larger for layering purposes then it wouldn't be too bad. An overcoat just seems better suited for the situation...

The peacoat is larger for layering purposes, so my sportscoat and blazers fit beneath the peacoat. It's snug, but if anything, I like it that way. The peacoat is a bit on the big side if just wearing a t-shirt (doable, just not ideal), but as I said, I bought it too layer... sweaters, hoodies, etc. It's about warmth in the winter for me over needing to be super stylish with my slim peacoat.

I agree about blazer being a bit on the formal side of things, so perhaps less appropriate than a sports jacket.

But I guess I'll just go with the peacoat since don't feel like searching for an overcoat anymore or paying the $$... lol. Plus, I like my peacoat.

Unless of course there seems to be an overwhlming opposition to it from here on out. However, seems consensus is that it is okay.

If I ever need to wear a suit to work... I'll definitely invest in a 3/4 overcoat (too short for full length). But for now, I think my peacoat will work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads