• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peacoat - Black or Navy?

velvel87

Reaction score
Looking to buy a new peacoat and can't decide if I should go Black or Navy (had a black one in the past - it was very nice)? This is not a huge problem and would be happy either way. Just curious what your preference would be if you could only have one peacoat - only one!

Thanks.

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
I would say Navy for me. I just bought one over the weekend at Old Navy for around $80, and I think it looks great.

But a black one is so close that I think it would be more than fine. In fact, I bet most people in passing wouldn't even notice the difference.

velvel87

Reaction score
I hear. I'm ordering mine from Schott NYC. Had one for about 8 years and then gave it to a friend. It is the warmest peacoat I have seen, incredibly priced at around $175, and last a really long time. Just need to decide a color.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Midnight blue was the color of the originals but it always appeared to be black to me.

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by velvel87
I hear. I'm ordering mine from Schott NYC. Had one for about 8 years and then gave it to a friend. It is the warmest peacoat I have seen, incredibly priced at around $175, and last a really long time. Just need to decide a color.
Cool, let us know what you end up with!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Midnight blue was the color of the originals but it always appeared to be black to me.

I have a Barbour peacoat that they call navy, but is midnight blue as far as I can tell. It is definitely not black, but darker than navy.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
I am wearing one today in Navy from Sterling Wear in Boston. I like Navy better, and had to specifically special order it as it is not in their drop down list of colors.

Navy just strikes me as a color that seems to show you thought about how to dress as opposed to the mind numbing "black goes with everything" mantra of the masses.

Where would it stop? Black blazers? Black suits?....
plain.gif

Or just get what you like.

velvel87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony
Navy just strikes me as a color that seems to show you thought about how to dress as opposed to the mind numbing "black goes with everything" mantra of the masses.

Where would it stop? Black blazers? Black suits?....
plain.gif

Or just get what you like.

So navy wouldn't go with everything if it's a coat? Can I wear black pants with a navy coat? That's my only concern.

velvel87

Reaction score
Why? It's not an issue? black pants are OK in this case?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by velvel87
So navy wouldn't go with everything if it's a coat? Can I wear black pants with a navy coat? That's my only concern.

I see it working on the same principle as the navy blue blazer, so it should go with any color.

I'm leaning toward getting one in navy myself from Schott or Sterlingwear

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either one would work fine. Just make sure it is a Sterlingwear, Schott, Fidelity or something like that, not some sweatshop department store version that is light and poorly constructed.

velvel87

Reaction score
Thanks. Going with a schott. I had a black one for 8 years.

Not sure which color. Does anyone know how schott is when it comes to sweaters/jackets?

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
I can see how my post could be misinterpreted. Yes, Navy is very versataille hence one reason I like it. Like the Navy sportcoat or blazer.

Just more interesting a color in my opinion so it has the same go with everything benefit of black without being...black.

So your black pants will work, but fwiw various shades of gray, brown and tan look even better.

Honestly, I don't hate black. Fine for shoes/belts, tuxedos and watchstraps....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads