Peacoat - Black or Navy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by velvel87, Oct 28, 2009.

1. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

Looking to buy a new peacoat and can't decide if I should go Black or Navy (had a black one in the past - it was very nice)? This is not a huge problem and would be happy either way. Just curious what your preference would be if you could only have one peacoat - only one!

Thanks.

2. cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl Senior member

I would say Navy for me. I just bought one over the weekend at Old Navy for around $80, and I think it looks great.

But a black one is so close that I think it would be more than fine. In fact, I bet most people in passing wouldn't even notice the difference.

3. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

I hear. I'm ordering mine from Schott NYC. Had one for about 8 years and then gave it to a friend. It is the warmest peacoat I have seen, incredibly priced at around $175, and last a really long time. Just need to decide a color.

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Midnight blue was the color of the originals but it always appeared to be black to me.

5. cmeisenzahl

cmeisenzahl Senior member

I hear. I'm ordering mine from Schott NYC. Had one for about 8 years and then gave it to a friend. It is the warmest peacoat I have seen, incredibly priced at around $175, and last a really long time. Just need to decide a color.
    Cool, let us know what you end up with!

6. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Midnight blue was the color of the originals but it always appeared to be black to me.

I have a Barbour peacoat that they call navy, but is midnight blue as far as I can tell. It is definitely not black, but darker than navy.

7. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Senior member

I am wearing one today in Navy from Sterling Wear in Boston. I like Navy better, and had to specifically special order it as it is not in their drop down list of colors.

Navy just strikes me as a color that seems to show you thought about how to dress as opposed to the mind numbing "black goes with everything" mantra of the masses.

Where would it stop? Black blazers? Black suits?....[​IMG]

Or just get what you like.

8. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

Navy just strikes me as a color that seems to show you thought about how to dress as opposed to the mind numbing "black goes with everything" mantra of the masses.

Where would it stop? Black blazers? Black suits?....[​IMG]

Or just get what you like.

So navy wouldn't go with everything if it's a coat? Can I wear black pants with a navy coat? That's my only concern.

9. Lovellum

Lovellum Well-Known Member

10. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

Why? It's not an issue? black pants are OK in this case?

11. furo

furo Senior member

So navy wouldn't go with everything if it's a coat? Can I wear black pants with a navy coat? That's my only concern.

I see it working on the same principle as the navy blue blazer, so it should go with any color.

I'm leaning toward getting one in navy myself from Schott or Sterlingwear

12. caligula455

caligula455 Active Member

I would say keep it classic with navy.

13. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

Either one would work fine. Just make sure it is a Sterlingwear, Schott, Fidelity or something like that, not some sweatshop department store version that is light and poorly constructed.

14. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

Thanks. Going with a schott. I had a black one for 8 years.

Not sure which color. Does anyone know how schott is when it comes to sweaters/jackets?

15. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Senior member

I can see how my post could be misinterpreted. Yes, Navy is very versataille hence one reason I like it. Like the Navy sportcoat or blazer.

Just more interesting a color in my opinion so it has the same go with everything benefit of black without being...black.

So your black pants will work, but fwiw various shades of gray, brown and tan look even better.

Honestly, I don't hate black. Fine for shoes/belts, tuxedos and watchstraps....