• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea Coat vs Normal Full length winter coat?

Remember

Reaction score
Im just trying to decide which is better; if one can only buy one

Pea Coats look much better imo, but they are everywhere. I mean....kids as young as 10 are sporting brand named pea coats. when i dress up, i tend to want to stick out in a good way.

Regular longer dress coat, pros: much more formal, take it alot more places. Cons; unlike a pea coat, its much less slim, and if your proud of your figure; it hides it.

Thoughts?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is where a nice modern 3/4 length topcoat comes in handy. It'll hit a couple inches above the knee and most are in a slim, flattering, cut. I love them. Looks great going to the office, or going out Friday night for drinks.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
depending on where you are located and your height.

full length winter coat is really an overkill for california and could make you appear shorter

Remember

Reaction score
Im east coast of canada.....So the warmth of either will come in most handy

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I have both, and get many many more compliments wearing the full length coat. It's less common and is perceived as classier. Plus it's warmer.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mt_spiffy
I have both, and get many many more compliments wearing the full length coat. It's less common and is perceived as classier. Plus it's warmer.

Could you post a pic?
nest.gif

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work in San Francisco, and get the oportunity to wear a overcoat frequently. I had my black wool full length overcoat tailored to fit me after dropping a lot of weight. I went ahead and had the tailor shorten the length at the same time. Now it hits just at my knees rather than 5-6 inches below. IMHO it looks much better.

I didn't want to go much higher, being that I am 6'3" and didn't want to appear as if I was wearing a kids coat that was too short.

About 2 weeks ago, I picked up another coat of the same style, but in a soft tan cashmere blend. I made sure to order the full length since the 3/4 length looked too short, even on the manequin.

I should post some pics of my black coat, it still manages to look great even though he took 8 inches off the sides, to fit me. I'm kinda mad at myself for not taking before shots of the coat.

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
Could you post a pic?
nest.gif

I'll see when I can get around to it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads