1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pea coat poppycockery.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pendragon, Nov 19, 2009.

1. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

love peacoats.

amusing how one op would start an opinion in a thread (merited nevertheless) but then a whole slew of posters reply according to groupthink of the particular thread.

2. RyJ Maduro

RyJ Maduro Senior member

Style is nice, I would like it if style became ubiquitous, but women still insist on wearing leggings as pants.

I really don't mind this trend, at all.

3. thinman

thinman Senior member

I bought a peacoat from Sterlingwear within the past 2 years. The fabric isn't soft and luxe, but it's stylish and keeps me warm. It's my go-to casual coat down to about 25F. Needless to say, I'm a fan of peacoats, though not necessarily peacoats from fashion brands.

4. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

Nothing wrong with duffle coats, either.

Both are classics.

5. glowell222

glowell222 Senior member

I remember people wearing them in HS in the early to mid 90s. .

I bought mine in October of 1988. Some things are not style or fashion, but an entity. The peacoat is one of these. I guess I was guilty of groupthink back then.

6. Octavio Interrupted

Octavio Interrupted Well-Known Member

Eh, saying peacoats are a trend or a fad is like saying suits or leather jackets or sneakers are a fad. It's just a kind of coat. It's been around for thousands of years* and it's not going anywhere. It is in a boom period at the moment, but so is everything eventually.

*wikipedia

7. JesseJB

JesseJB Senior member

Striving for "classic style" is trendy right now so we're just seeing classic items being worn around because a) thats what the stores are stocking and b) because its fucking trendy.

There will always be trainwrecks and tryhards but overall I support people getting into style again after 40 years of endless shittery.

END.

8. JTLFoo

JTLFoo Member

I considered getting a peacoat but I've recently seen them more seldom then I hope to. The trend is getting too big. Usually I buy things not everyone else wears b/c looking the same as the person next to you at the bus stop is pretty lame.

9. ruben

ruben Senior member

There aren't a ton of casual wool coat designs out there, for obvious reasons.

10. tommyrt

tommyrt Well-Known Member

I laugh at all the luxury pea coats everytime I wear my slimly cut $70 vintage pea coat that has uses thicker and rougher wool, its going to last me long during the cold. And not to mention has an uncommon 10 buttons, great for pulling away emphasis on my short height.

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Schott has a nice buffalo plaid peacoat.

12. Keroberos

Keroberos Senior member

Motion to re-name MC and SW&D "The Fogey Section" and "The Scruffy Rascal Forums"... all in favour, say "aye".

Aye.

13. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Nothing wrong with duffle coats, either.

Both are classics.

+1

14. Asch

Asch Senior member

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...111-pea-coats/ "As the temperature starts to drop, many white people are forced to start wearing winter coats. Though many will simply don outdoor performance gear, a great number will turn to the #1 white winter jacket of all time: The Pea Coat. The Pea Coat was originally worn by sailors and members of the European Navy. If you think about it for a second, this means that the coat is European, Coastal, and Vintage. Three of white people's favorite things. Another common characteristic of the coat is that white people will write their names on the label inside the coat. This is not done for fear of theft, but rather as a necessary precaution against party mixups. You see, when a white person attends a party in the winter time they will often be required to put their jacket in a room with literally dozens of other pea coats! Since these coats often contain ticket stubs to the same concerts and identical Trader Joe's receipts, it can be impossible to find the original owner without a name written inside. Like with sweaters, the process of acquiring a Pea Coat is almost as important as the coat itself. Fashionable white people can purchase designer pea coats for well over $1000, but the top ranked white people purchase their at Army Surplus stores. This makes them feel better than the white people have spent thousands of dollars on an identical piece of clothing. But perhaps the greatest value of the pea coat is its ability to help you determine which non-white people have been accepted into the ranks of white people. It is not known if the coat is given to them in an elaborate ceremony or if they buy it themselves, but in either case by wearing the coat they are telling the world that they have white friends. Long story short, if you want to increase your popularity with white people this winter, get a Pea Coat."

15. modern_leifeng

modern_leifeng Senior member

I love the pea coat, they've been everywhere for umm, pretty much the past 20 years. I have 2, a grey one from H in Chicago and a blue one from Muji in Beijing, both keep me warm and are an excellent choice as a casual winter jacket. There are only so many casual jacket choices, I can't imagine the pea coats ubiquity changing anytime soon.

16. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i had a pea coat once. it didn't have any peas. i was disappointed

17. pendragon

pendragon Senior member

18. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

^ Eh, I enjoy the self-loathing, mockery, and irony (#50 of things white people like).

19. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

It's basically "you might be a redneck" for yuppies.

20. Snowman_SE

Snowman_SE Active Member

I love my pea coat. I bought mine at Tall & Mighty for £100. Needless to say it's not the best quality (one pocket had a hole in it when I got it from the store, I noticed after I had left London) and it has some unbalanced elements in the design (I actually removed the hideous epaulettes), but hey it fits (I'm 6'6" so it's really a hassle to find anything in my size unless I go MTO).

It's a good informal garment for cold climate.