Pea coat poppycockery.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pendragon, Nov 19, 2009.

1. pendragon

pendragon Senior member

Fashion designers and their retailing henchmen have been trying to foist pea coats upon us for the last several years, if not decades. Every year they trot out the same old stuff about traditional navy this, and stylishly re-imagined that - and nobody ever buys them.

This year it finally seems to have reached critical mass. They are in every store. And even here there are threads about them in both the fogey section & the scruffy rascal forums.

Well, I am resisting.

Get thee behind me Ralph Lauren! (And take your absurdly toggled duffle coats with you while you're at it.)

2. intent

intent Senior member

Don't have a peacoat. Thought about it pre-SF, and glad I didn't get it. They just don't keep me warm enough since they're not long.

3. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

Motion to re-name MC and SW&D "The Fogey Section" and "The Scruffy Rascal Forums"... all in favour, say "aye".

4. EZETHATSME

EZETHATSME Senior member

5. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

aye

6. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

True, thankyou very much for this insight.

As a fledgling, there are a few "staples" in my mind which i'd been planning to acquire over a long period.

Now that you say these things, it makes me realise that a peacoat is not really an essential.

7. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I'm not sure what sartorial time warp you come from, but peacoats have been well nigh ubiquitous for close to a decade, now, at least. I was aware of their popularity when I was in high school, and I was not tuned in to fashion at that time (to put it mildly).

This is about like the Trad crew complaining about how popular jackets with darts have gotten lately.

8. glowell222

glowell222 Senior member

I bought a pea coat from the Navy uniform store back in my USMC days. I still own it and still wear it. I think it cost $98.00.

Unless you're buying one from Schott, don't waste your money.

9. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

I bought a pea coat from the Navy uniform store back in my USMC days. I still own it and still wear it. I think it cost $98.00.

Unless you're buying one from Schott, don't waste your money.

Sterlingwear and Fidelity also make excellent peacoats. I would definitely not buy a mall brand.

10. dhaller

dhaller Senior member

I wore a pea coat in undergraduate school (I upgraded to a Gloverall toggle coat in grad school...), and at the time NO ONE was wearing them - that was 1985-1989. I suppose it's still in my cedar closet somewhere.

This year in particular they are indeed EVERYWHERE - I went to Target yesterday to buy cheap Champion sweats, and even there pea coats were everywhere, mens and womens both.

That said, I wouldn't mind having one of the Schott peas with the leather trimmed pockets.

DH

11. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

They've been in the "mall stores" and everywhere for years now. I've seen them at Target for at least three or four years. I bought one at Old Navy in '01 or '02. These are not exactly cutting-edge runway brands.

12. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

Sterlingwear and Fidelity also make excellent peacoats. I would definitely not buy a mall brand.

Have a J. Crew peacoat. I don't care about what SF people say -I love the coat. It has a nice slim cut, is VERY warm, and shows no sign of wear after three years of heavy use. I consider it one of the better coats I've owned. I also think its fantastically versatile. The key to the peacoat, IMO, is not wear it in the manner of some Willamsburg hipster, with peg legged "denims" and Red Wing boots.

13. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Yeah I've always thought of the pea coat as a classic look. It's never been out of style for as long as I've been paying attention to such things.

14. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

What style jacket of should replace it?

15. munchausen

munchausen Senior member