1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pea Coat or Double Breasted Coat?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by drake, Jun 26, 2006.

1. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

i go to a thrift store and take my pick since im in a navy town. ive found some realy nice ones, including an almost new ww2 pea coat.

2. Matt

Matt Senior member

almost new ww2 pea coat.
    uhh

3. headtowall

headtowall Senior member

Go with the peacoat. I have my dad's from when he was in the Navy.Also scored some decent bombers, though I'll need to get some boots, braces, and a haircut before breaking those out...

4. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

uhh
    uhh? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] size 42 if anyone wants it

5. Matt

Matt Senior member

6. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

ok... how about very lightly used, or almost perfect condition, or no noticable wear, loose stiching, loose buttons, holes, fading, or other defects visible to the naked eye? does that work? what about in better condition than any other vintage or surplus peacoat ive seen?

7. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

How do you find a thrift/surplus navy peacoat, generally?
    Step 1: Find a thrift/surplus store in your area using the phonebook. Step 2: Call places you find and ask if they have any peacoats in your size. Step 3: Go to the location and purchase it! Common sense is a valuable tool, jose.

8. Matt

Matt Senior member

ok... how about very lightly used, or almost perfect condition, or no noticable wear, loose stiching, loose buttons, holes, fading, or other defects visible to the naked eye? does that work? what about in better condition than any other vintage or surplus peacoat ive seen?
    sounds good. Sell it to Jose with an instruction manual [​IMG]

9. nomovement

nomovement Senior member

10. ingraman

ingraman Well-Known Member

11. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Anybody care to tell me how these jackets are all US made and yet so cheap??

12. Ott

Ott Senior member

is it just me, or is the sterlingwear size chart incredibly strange?

http://www.sterlingwear.com/sizechart.html

it lists the length for a 34 Regular as 30.25 inches, which seems a bit long. Then it lists the sleeve measurement for the same size as 18 inches, which seems RIDICULOUSLY short.

Anyone care to help me out here?

13. ejquin

ejquin Well-Known Member

My only problem with peacoats are that they look too short. Would it be strange to wear a bridge coat?

http://www.acejackets.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=51

I don't know if that would be strange, but you have a couple options. First of all, a lot of places make peacoat type coats that are 3/4 length. This is just one example, but if you look around, especially this fall, a lot of designers are making them:

http://www.yoox.com/item/DOLCE+GABBA...59/areaid/7254

There's also the officers coat Which is almost like a full length peacoat. John Varvatos has a cool one for fall

14. j

j Senior member Admin

Do they look too short when you see them on others, or do they look like you would think it was too short wearing it? I think they look great. It is one of the few hipster uniform pieces I approve of.

15. xerxes1358

xerxes1358 Active Member

I'm thinking about having either a pea coat made or a double breasted peaked lapel coat (it that what they are called?). Here are examples of the type of look I'm talking about with regards to cut (both pics from http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com) first the pea coat then double breasted coat. [​IMG] Since it doesn't really get that cold in in California I really one need one so I'm looking for something rather versatile and don't know which one to go with. So which one do you guys think I could wear with jeans and woolen odd-trousers? I'm leaning towards the pea coat but maybe I'm wrong, is a pea coat too casual for woolen trousers? Is a double breasted coat too formal for jeans? I posted this in Streetwear since ~70% of my cloths are streetwear type cloths but that 30% of more woolen trousers and dress shirts is growing so I'm looking for something that I can wear with both type of cloths.
    Hi he where did you find this particular peacoat ? Is this the one from ebay or the the ohter one? (I tried to search through that blog with no luck though) I like peacoats but the cut of a 'non-brand' peacoat is generally pretty baggy. Also, this peacoat is 3/4 long model I think which is nice. Oh by the way I tried on the D&G peacoat last week. Man it looked damn hot! But what would you expect for 1100 euro ($1350)? xerxes

16. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I went to my tailor the other evening to pick up a suit jacket I was having tailored. I asked matter of factly whether they made peacoats which she replied yes and showed me some fabrics (Black and Brown but said she could order Navy or Grey). She added that they cost around $750 to be done. If I had the money I'd do it, man it hurt not being able to have it done my way

17. j

j Senior member Admin

I went to my tailor the other evening to pick up a suit jacket I was having tailored. I asked matter of factly whether they made peacoats which she replied yes and showed me some fabrics (Black and Brown but said she could order Navy or Grey). She added that they cost around $750 to be done. If I had the money I'd do it, man it hurt not being able to have it done my way
    We were discussing in an older peacoat thread the level of workmanship that is evident in the old military coats, and how much a similar one would cost to make in today's dollars. That figure doesn't surprise me at all, really.

Has anyone tried someone like Ravi or one of the other Asian tailors for a coat? Maybe one of them could do it. I don't know if they will have 32oz. wool on hand in Hong Kong, though...

18. Matt

Matt Senior member

Hong Kong maybe - it gets cold there. Bangkok for Ravi or my neck of the woods - unlikely. I guess costwise would be similar to a suit, so Dung would do it for about $60 plus cloth. eBay Howard has cloth of that weight IIRC, 2 meters or thereabouts probly run you $50 shipped.

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

In all honesty as long as you get a decent-quality coat, but get it tailored immaculately, it will at least visually look better than better quality coat which does not fit as well.

Jon.

20. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Photo credit: The Sartorialist (duh)
    A non-trivial part of my decision to go to Chicago for school next year is the abundance of peacoat-wearing opportunities.

I am afraid you are going to need something even warmer than a pea coat if you are going to be living in Chicago. When I was in Chicago in February, the pea coat did not get the job done.