1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pea Coat or Double Breasted Coat?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by drake, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

BTW anybody got the grey sterlingwear, how did it look?

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

No kidding. Here they are from $40 to $80 on up depending on condition. I guess that's because our naval base was decommissioned a while back. Maybe I should make a run up to Bellingham and pick up a bunch - I have a feeling there will be piles there for cheap. Hmm...

How about a Styleforum outerwear shop [​IMG] ?

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

BTW anybody got the grey sterlingwear, how did it look?

Mine is the grey. It's a nice color. It's a little lighter than charcoal, with a mohair-like pattern.

Edward, yes mine is the "Authentic."

4. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I think I'm going to have to get one of these this fall/winter. First I'll check my local milsurp though.

5. digital_denim

digital_denim Senior member

Brian,
    What size jacket or shirt do you normally wear? (S or M)

6. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

Is there anyone who makes a nice light grey pea coat?

I already have a navy pea coat I picked up for 25 bucks at a vintage store. I just find navy hard to match with sometimes.

7. digital_denim

sterlingwear has a nice grey one, but not sure if it's light enough for you. And it's pricier than $25. They also have it in black which will go with almost anything. Trying to debate between the two colors....i guess i have a few months to decide before the weather's right.

8. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

Thanks.

I did check sterlingwears website but didn't see the grey option. I'll take another look.

You raise a good point though, black or grey? Which color would go with raw denim jeans better?

9. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

One more question.

I'm moving to a city (Vancouver, BC) where it rarely goes below 5C so a really warm coat isn't really needed. My current pea coat, which is made by Eaton's and is probably 30 years old, has kept me extremely warm even when its been as cold as -15C. Is there anyone out there who is making a similar styled coat out of thinner wool or is just not as bulky overall?

10. digital_denim

Thanks.

I did check sterlingwears website but didn't see the grey option. I'll take another look.

You raise a good point though, black or grey? Which color would go with raw denim jeans better?

You actually just click on buy, and then it will give you the option of the colors.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

One more question.

I'm moving to a city (Vancouver, BC) where it rarely goes below 5C so a really warm coat isn't really needed. My current pea coat, which is made by Eaton's and is probably 30 years old, has kept me extremely warm even when its been as cold as -15C. Is there anyone out there who is making a similar styled coat out of thinner wool or is just not as bulky overall?

Try to locate a fleece peacoat from Spruce (F/W 2005-2006 season). That should be fine for the mild Vancouver winters.

12. manifest v

manifest v Senior member

OMG DUDE I've been trying to find that spruce pea coat ever since steven allen sold out of it like 3 months ago... good luck and tell us where if you find it.

13. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Here's some peacoats that I've gotten over the years--
    [​IMG]

14. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

OMG DUDE I've been trying to find that spruce pea coat ever since steven allen sold out of it like 3 months ago... good luck and tell us where if you find it.
    there was one on ebay about a week ago. sold for under $100 too if i remember correctly. ... that's a lot of peacoats.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Here's some peacoats that I've gotten over the years--

Whats the third one from the left, looks interesting.

16. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Brian,
    What size jacket or shirt do you normally wear? (S or M)

Small

17. cmrocks

cmrocks Senior member

Brian,

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and what do you weigh?

I want to order one of those coats pretty soon here. I don't know what jacket size I am though. In S, M and L, I always wear a small. I think the 34 would probably fit about right.

18. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Brian,

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you and what do you weigh?

I want to order one of those coats pretty soon here. I don't know what jacket size I am though. In S, M and L, I always wear a small. I think the 34 would probably fit about right.

6'0, 140 lbs. If you wear a "S" normally, then a 34 would probably be the right one for you (assuming you want a trimmer fit)

19. PunctualAlex

PunctualAlex Well-Known Member

Just so you all know, this thread made me go pull out my peacoat and wear it around the house for a few minutes... in 100 degree heat... just to remember how it felt. Beautiful.
    Although apparently I've lost some weight, it's a little baggy in the waist. Am I insane for wanting to have it taken in? Is that even possible? I feel like it isn't, but I'll hope...

20. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

How do you find a thrift/surplus navy peacoat, generally?