• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Pea Coat or Double Breasted Coat?

drake

Reaction score
I'm thinking about having either a pea coat made or a double breasted peaked lapel coat (it that what they are called?). Here are examples of the type of look I'm talking about with regards to cut (both pics from http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com) first the pea coat then double breasted coat.
Since it doesn't really get that cold in in California I really one need one so I'm looking for something rather versatile and don't know which one to go with. So which one do you guys think I could wear with jeans and woolen odd-trousers? I'm leaning towards the pea coat but maybe I'm wrong, is a pea coat too casual for woolen trousers? Is a double breasted coat too formal for jeans? I posted this in Streetwear since ~70% of my cloths are streetwear type cloths but that 30% of more woolen trousers and dress shirts is growing so I'm looking for something that I can wear with both type of cloths.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You could wear either with either. In CA you might be better off with the shorter pea coat, but I think they only look good in a heavier (warmer) fabric. In fact I am a bit of a pea coat Nazi and I really think they should almost only ever be a real, official issue, vintage coat. But I do like that one in the pic, with the unusual hip pockets. OTOH, the coat in the other pic could be made in a lighter fabric, and be more versatile.

Great cuts on both. I would wear either with just about anything.

Here is my favorite peacoat - probably my all time favorite article of clothing:

Reaction score
i recall someone posted a link to an online vendor selling authentic military pea coats at damn good prices, you may want to dig around and find that...

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pea coat. and get a real mil issue one.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
another for the peacoat. i can't do double breasted things- aside from females that is

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Yeah, so I WANT to say DB coat just for the sake of a little variety, but let's be honest: peacoat. You just can't go wrong with a good peacoat.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Does anyone have a Schott peacoat? I was thinking about picking one up, but I don't know how they fit. Is it possible to have them taken in? (I would assume so, is it a hassle is really the question I guess.)

horriblyjollyjinx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Does anyone have a Schott peacoat? I was thinking about picking one up, but I don't know how they fit. Is it possible to have them taken in? (I would assume so, is it a hassle is really the question I guess.)

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...t/740size.html

I'm going to get one too, the price is right and it looks like a jacket that wont go out of style.

alexpham

Reaction score
double breasted coat. I just think it's so much smarter looking than a peacoat. You can't go wrong with either but I think the extra length of the double breasted gives it a tad more elegance and refinement, but that's just me. courtesy of Satoralist:

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if youre a 38 i have the answer for you.... a full length pea coat. it was custom made for an officer.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexpham
courtesy of Satoralist:

Why are you posting pictures of my future ex-wife?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 238 31.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.8%
  • 31 - 40