1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Pea Coat or Double Breasted Coat?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by drake, Jun 26, 2006.

1. drake

drake Senior member

I'm thinking about having either a pea coat made or a double breasted peaked lapel coat (it that what they are called?). Here are examples of the type of look I'm talking about with regards to cut (both pics from http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com) first the pea coat then double breasted coat. [​IMG] Since it doesn't really get that cold in in California I really one need one so I'm looking for something rather versatile and don't know which one to go with. So which one do you guys think I could wear with jeans and woolen odd-trousers? I'm leaning towards the pea coat but maybe I'm wrong, is a pea coat too casual for woolen trousers? Is a double breasted coat too formal for jeans? I posted this in Streetwear since ~70% of my cloths are streetwear type cloths but that 30% of more woolen trousers and dress shirts is growing so I'm looking for something that I can wear with both type of cloths.

2. j

j Senior member Admin

You could wear either with either. In CA you might be better off with the shorter pea coat, but I think they only look good in a heavier (warmer) fabric. In fact I am a bit of a pea coat Nazi and I really think they should almost only ever be a real, official issue, vintage coat. But I do like that one in the pic, with the unusual hip pockets. OTOH, the coat in the other pic could be made in a lighter fabric, and be more versatile.

Great cuts on both. I would wear either with just about anything.

Here is my favorite peacoat - probably my all time favorite article of clothing:
    [​IMG]

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I'm definitely a peacoat person myself.

4. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Definitely peacoat.

5. Matt

Matt Senior member

i recall someone posted a link to an online vendor selling authentic military pea coats at damn good prices, you may want to dig around and find that...

6. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

pea coat. and get a real mil issue one.

7. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

another for the peacoat. i can't do double breasted things- aside from females that is [​IMG]

8. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Yeah, so I WANT to say DB coat just for the sake of a little variety, but let's be honest: peacoat. You just can't go wrong with a good peacoat.

9. Swann

Swann Senior member

Peacoat. Without a doubt.

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior member

Does anyone have a Schott peacoat? I was thinking about picking one up, but I don't know how they fit. Is it possible to have them taken in? (I would assume so, is it a hassle is really the question I guess.)

11. horriblyjollyjinx

horriblyjollyjinx Senior member

Does anyone have a Schott peacoat? I was thinking about picking one up, but I don't know how they fit. Is it possible to have them taken in? (I would assume so, is it a hassle is really the question I guess.)

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...t/740size.html

I'm going to get one too, the price is right and it looks like a jacket that wont go out of style.

12. alexpham

alexpham Well-Known Member

double breasted coat. I just think it's so much smarter looking than a peacoat. You can't go wrong with either but I think the extra length of the double breasted gives it a tad more elegance and refinement, but that's just me. courtesy of Satoralist: [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Leather peacoat:

[​IMG]

14. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

if youre a 38 i have the answer for you.... a full length pea coat. it was custom made for an officer.

15. j

j Senior member Admin

courtesy of Satoralist:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why are you posting pictures of my future ex-wife?

16. alexpham

alexpham Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Why are you posting pictures of my future ex-wife?

I don't know what's better, the coat or the sunglasses. [​IMG]

17. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I really like Sterlingwear Peacoats. I have one (sized down) and it fits very well. Looks a lot like j's.

18. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I have a navy peacoat made by... Old Navy! Got it on sale for $50, really not bad with fit and styling. Personally, I'd get a long peacoat, but that's me. Either one would look great.

19. gza

gza Senior member

If you're having this coat made to your specifications, then you don't have to stick with any stylistic conventions. All you're going for basically is a double breasted coat of some sort for winter wear. The main differences between the peacoat and db overcoat are the lapels, length, and fabric.

The lapels of a peacoat can be turned up and buttoned to stay in place, protecting the neck and making the coat significantly warmer. You will never have a need for this in California, but if you like that detail then you can certainly request it. Personally I would go with the peak lapels, which lack that special functionality but look pretty damn good.

A peacoat is typically shorter than a db overcoat. I think a shorter coat makes more sense in a mild climate, and will allow more of your denim or wool trousers (which you probably also chose with great care) to show.

A real peacoat, as J likes to stress, is made of a heavy, thick wool. A db coat can be made out of any fabric you choose. I can't even imagine when it would get cold enough where you are to warrant the heavy fabric of a naval peacoat. I lived most of my life in California, and I know the peacoat that's in my closet now (identical to the pic J posted) would just never have been practical. So for the fabric I would recommend going with a lighter wool.

By combining certain features of each archetypal garment, you can make something that is both weather-appropriate and meets your requirement of being both formal enough for dress trousers and casual enough for jeans.

By the way, congratulations on setting your sights on something double breasted. A more visually interesting option, IMHO, especially for outerwear.

20. Metal Circus

Metal Circus Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Photo credit: The Sartorialist (duh) A non-trivial part of my decision to go to Chicago for school next year is the abundance of peacoat-wearing opportunities.