• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea coat length alteration

cshky

Reaction score
I have a long pea coat(reaching two inches above my kness) but I want to make it to the length of a normal (or modern) pea coat, with the bottom reaching just below the crotch. It’d require getting rid of around 4 inches of fabric.

I know this sounds a bit crazy but is it possible technically? I checked the buttons and pockets will not be affected and the coat is still well proportioned even with the shortened length. Only problem is the vent might need to move up a bit.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you sure it's not a polo or bridge coat?

Technically it could be, but being built as a longer coat means it'll be cut differently. Might have to shorten and also adjust the waist. Check with a tailor to see what their thoughts and costs are. Then, decide if it's not more cost and time effective to purchase an actual pea coat of the correct length. You could then sell off current one since you no longer like the length.

cshky

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not a polo or bridge coat?

Technically it could be, but being built as a longer coat means it'll be cut differently. Might have to shorten and also adjust the waist. Check with a tailor to see what their thoughts and costs are. Then, decide if it's not more cost and time effective to purchase an actual pea coat of the correct length. You could then sell off current one since you no longer like the length.
It’s definitely a peacoat(which is why I don’t like the current length)
I tried folding in the excess fabric to see how it’d look when shortened and it looks quite nice as the waist is already rather slim without taking in, so the main concern would be the vent.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s definitely a peacoat(which is why I don’t like the current length)
I tried folding in the excess fabric to see how it’d look when shortened and it looks quite nice as the waist is already rather slim without taking in, so the main concern would be the vent.
If they hit the length right, they could just close the vent completely. Unless you want it to still go down to the length of a sport coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics