• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pea Coat - Dk. Grey, Lt. Grey or Black?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Duffel coat would be a step in the wrong direction IMO. I had one in the infants school. We all used to put the hood up and fasten the neck strap then leave it unbuttoned and not put our arms in the sleeves to play Batman. I've since grown up.

lol8[1].gif
. . . and I'll wear a navy gloverall duffle again this winter

Pick the dark gray. Avoid black when you can. Lots of reasons but one w/ wool coats: black will really show lint, pet hair, dandruff, salt, etc. Black coats are a pain **********.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought one in charcoal gray from Sterlingwear and love it (Everyone else has midnight navy or black, but I like to be different). It actually gets a lot of compliments.

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
Navy!!! Of the choices you gave, dark gray is probably best but far behind navy in attractiveness and versaitility.

Slightly off topic, but why did the US Navy go to black for their peacoats in recent years? At least I understand this to be the case.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony

Slightly off topic, but why did the US Navy go to black for their peacoats in recent years? At least I understand this to be the case.

I don't think they did. I think it's just a really, really, dark navy. One of the reasons why I find everyone hating on the black and yelling NAVY! so hilarious- these days, the colors are often indistinguishable.

To the OP- all of them would work well, black is not the evil some here make it out to be. There's just a groupthink here that tends to reinforce itself and take moderate statements and turn them into extremes- it goes from "black suits are best used as a smaller part of a wider rotation", to "black suits are the debil", to "black odd pants are evil too", to "all black clothing whatsoever is inherently evil and should never be worn".

Out of those three though, I like the light gray the most. They'll all be pretty versatile, but the darker colors might not work so well with dark jeans and such. Dark Gray/ Black and navy simply doesn't mix well.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
I don't think they did. I think it's just a really, really, dark navy. One of the reasons why I find everyone hating on the black and yelling NAVY! so hilarious- these days, the colors are often indistinguishable.

This is quite a stretch, I'm sorry, unless you only live at night. IRL and in day light, even a midnight navy is distinguishable from black. Navy pea coats are not even midnight dark any way.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
This is quite a stretch, I'm sorry, unless you only live at night. IRL and in day light, even a midnight navy is distinguishable from black. Navy pea coats are not even midnight dark any way.

In daylight, sure. But how much time do you spend outside? In indoor lighting, they are extremely close, at least with the darker navies. Lighter navies are a completely different matter. They're also getting to be fairly rare, at least from what I see in real life.

It's a moot point anyway, since the coat OP is looking at doesn't come in navy.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a moot point anyway, since the coat OP is looking at doesn't come in navy.
True but the point that some are making is to look for another pea coat. In navy.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
We are talking about peacoats here.

smile.gif

What? You don't keep your peacoat indoors at all times?

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
but the darker colors might not work so well with dark jeans and such. Dark Gray/ Black and navy simply doesn't mix well.

Not sure I agree with that. Dark gray trousers go quite nicely with a navy sportcoat for example. And black shoes quite nicely with a navy suit. Navy with dark blue jeans, don't see why not have to see it to be sure as you cannot generalize.

And one should never wear black jeans period...right??
fight[1].gif

As far as black is evil...well of course it is. Unless on a pair of shoes, belt, watch strap and of course Tuxedo/Dinner Suit. Though midnight blue can be very nice for the latter.

For me it is not group think as much as black does not show textures or patterns well so it looks very boring. Plus everytime I see a horribly dressed schmuk he is almost always wearing....black pants, or a black shirt with black pants, or a black sport coat with black odd pants etc etc...

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
We are talking about peacoats here.

Fair enough, though people tend to keep their coats on when moving through larger indoor spaces. Do you take your coat off the instant you step into the subway station? A lobby? A restaurant? Typically not. You wait until you get where you're going and hang it up there. These days, most people are seen inside much more then out, even with outerwear.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Anthony
Not sure I agree with that. Dark gray trousers go quite nicely with a navy sportcoat for example. And black shoes quite nicely with a navy suit. Navy with dark blue jeans, don't see why not have to see it to be sure as you cannot generalize.

No, they don't. Light gray does, but dark gray looks like you simply weren't paying attention. It's a common look, which makes it socially acceptable, but it isn't a good one, at least to my tastes.

And one should never wear black jeans period...right??
fight[1].gif
Why not? They can be a fun piece. And they look wonderful as they fade into lighter grays and charcoal.

As far as black is evil...well of course it is. Unless on a pair of shoes, belt, watch strap and of course Tuxedo/Dinner Suit. Though midnight blue can be very nice for the latter.

For me it is not group think as much as black does not show textures or patterns well so it looks very boring. Plus everytime I see a horribly dressed schmuk he is almost always wearing....black pants, or a black shirt with black pants, or a black sport coat with black odd pants etc etc...
So it's the fact that poorly dressed people wear black a lot. Kind of a time honored sartorial thing. Hell, it's how black rose into prominence in recent years. Every poorly dressed schlub on the street was wearing a navy or charcoal suit. Black brought a hip, cool edge to the boring uniform of the office. Of course, then the schlubs saw how awesome the guys in black looked and adopted black. And way, way back in the 20's, that's how navy came to provenance in the first place. Charcoal, gray and black were the order of the day (at least in cities, and there are real reasons for the distinction that don't exist today) until a few people started wearing Navy and it set off a huge trend. Look back at ads from then- you have men's stores advertising how they have entire floors full of these great new blue suits.

What you're reacting to is the trend. It's not about the color itself, which is more or less the definition of neutral, but the desire to stand out and be superior. Which is fine if not carried too far, but hardly supports your claim of inherent evil. You're pinning the blame on the color, not the wearer. And you're completely wrong in doing so.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I bought one in charcoal gray from Sterlingwear and love it (Everyone else has midnight navy or black, but I like to be different). It actually gets a lot of compliments.

You like to be different?
And you want a pea coat?
Alright then!
laugh.gif

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
To be honest I am having a bit of fun with the extreme statements and responding to your mention of people turning things to extremes.

I don't honestly think black is evil, though black jeans is something I don't like the look of.

Yes, I admit the schlub in black does influence my lack of enthusiams for the color these days. But does black have a place? of course.

I think a nicely tailored black suit can look great and is completely appropriate for social engagements and some business settings. And the historical use of black in days gone by was beautiful and like many things from that era would be nice to see come back.

With the OP and this thread. I still like the look of Navy for a peacoat the best as in my mind it is the quintessential color for that piece of clothing.

Like a white dress shirt is what you pull out for your most formal event, and black for a tuxedo etc.

BLU8

Reaction score
If you're looking to buy your peacoat at Old Navy specifically, they carry navy blue ones in-store. I picked one up about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure why the navy colour is not offered on their website.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads