PDA's, PDA Phones

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by alaaro, Jan 2, 2005.

1. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

So my paper Dayplanner has run out with the end of 2004, so I am forced to decide w/not to use it. I need some things answered:

1. For the people that use them, are they easier/more convenient than paper planners?

2. What do you typically use them for?

3. Do you sync them with your computer?

4. What would people recommend me getting? I am wondering whether or not to get a straight PDA, or a PDA phone. I have Verizon service, so it would have to be a Verizon compatible phone.

Thanks all. Any pros/cons, ideas, thoughts are appreciated.

2. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

Hook me up here, guys. No one has a PDA? [​IMG]

3. ViroBono

ViroBono Senior member

I have no idea what Verizon is, but assume it to be a mobile phone service provider. I use a PDA (iPaq) daily. It is certainly more convenient for me than the paper version, not least because if it is damaged, lost or stolen the data can be replaced easily by synching the replacement. Also, I find it easier to carry about than the paper version. My principal use is for contact information and navigation - I use it with a Bluetooth GPS. It is also handy for sending or retrieving email on short trips. Mine has a very useful program for showing the quickest routes on public transport, which I use all the time in London. I synch my iPaq with my Mac (using PocketMac), usually by docking it, but I can also do it wirelessly or by Bluetooth. I also synch the PDA with my phone (SE K700i). In the past I used Palms for some years, primarily because of their instant Mac compatibility, but find the iPaq better. Palm's support was very poor when I had problems. I have also tried a Motorola smart-phone, but find the PDA features rather basic and the whole thing cumbersome. I'm not convinced by the XDA-type PDA-phones (ever seen the screen when its been next to a user's ear), they always seem awkward to use as a phone. I'm sticking to separate phone and PDA. There are so many products available, with so many features, that the best thing is to draw up a list of features you want and then compare the items that meet your requirements. I have found Expansys very good to deal with.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have a treo 600, I love it. it is a combo pda and phone. I used to have various palms but this meand that I only need to carry one thing with me at any time. I use it mostly for date book, contacts and email. having email 24/7 is very helpful for me. Also, I love having all of my contacts available no matter where I am - it is not uncommon for me to spend a good part of my weekend on the phone, unexpecdetly and so if I have my treo with me I have all the info I need. I use it, very occasionally to surf - for instance to mapquest stuff or to find a resteraunt recomendation.

I highly recomend the idea of a smart phone, and the treo is a good example - good size, huge memory, very powerful. the 650 has blue tooth and better removable memory options.

oh, and I used a day runner for about 8 years, and loved it. but it meant that you needed to carry a book around everywhere.