• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paypal transaction gone bad - advice needed

gbrown_nyc

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks much for all the input here. I've learned a ton.

To answer a few questions.

The item was purchased using a non eBay credit card via Paypal. I'm going to followup directly with the credit card company and see what I can do.

The seller indicated he had shipped via TnT, which is a courier service, but didn't provide a tracking number. I have no recourse with them as I have no information to track with.

I've asked him several times for the tracking information and given him numerous opportunities for a gracious 'out' of the deal if he chose that. He didn't respond leading me to believe that either something terrible has happened or he's trying to screw me out of incompetence, indifference or plain dishonesty.

He has logged onto SF repeatedly since the transaction went through and the messages I sent to him were to both his SF account and his email (the one provided by PayPal). That leads me to believe that his intention is the latter in the above point.

3 weeks with no communication is excessive. I'd be cool with 'I forgot to send it', 'I had to go out of town and was crazy busy,' 'I really hate to do this but I've decided I want to keep the jacket' etc. but no communication is bad form.

And I will out the seller but I'm waiting till the weekend passes. I want to send him on this thread and see if his dog died etc before I out him. In the meantime I do look at the B&S regularly and if I see him pop up on another thread I'll jump in publically.

I've also been contacted by another (upstanding) forum member who knows the seller and says he posts regularly on his country's version of of SF. He's kindly offered to see what he can do from his end.

So in short thanks for all the input and if I can't get satisfaction from the seller I'll let you know who he is. I'll also document my attempts to recover the funds from my credit card company in case it will prove helpful to somebody else. And if worst comes to worst thanks to some outstanding sellers on SF what I'm going to lose on this jacket I've saved on some other pieces that have become real favourites of mine!

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way OP, you seem like a very, very reasonable and patient guy. I'd be thrilled to sell to you any time!

lexybeast

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your troubles. In my experience, Paypal is absolutely useless when it comes to getting money back. I initiated a dispute through Paypal once over an item I never received, and though Paypal ruled in my favour, they stated they couldn't refund me because the seller had no funds in their account.

But they'd be sure to refund me just as soon as the seller entered money into the account
sarcasm.gif
... makes you wonder what you're paying the fee for.

I'd say you'll have better luck going through your bank.

Zintintin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lexybeast
Sorry to hear about your troubles. In my experience, Paypal is absolutely useless when it comes to getting money back. I initiated a dispute through Paypal once over an item I never received, and though Paypal ruled in my favour, they stated they couldn't refund me because the seller had no funds in their account. But they'd be sure to refund me just as soon as the seller entered money into the account
sarcasm.gif
... makes you wonder what you're paying the fee for. I'd say you'll have better luck going through your bank.

I haven't a CLUE why anyone chooses to pay for items on paypal using anything but a credit card. I have been burnt before and credit card chargeback is simply and efficient. All you need to do is contact your credit card company and it WILL be settled for you. Paypal does nothing to help anyone anymore. Last time I charged back with my credit card company I didn't even contact Paypal. **** paypal. And OP since you stated you used your CC I wouldn't be worried. But there is a period you need to wait for the chargeback ability I think.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This should be a lesson learned on both ends for buyers and sellers.

On one hand, as a buyer, you've got to do some homework prior to buying here. Check the B&S Feedback thread using a simple "by-name search." Then look at items the seller has up and search his name in the B&S For Sale thread to see a selling history.

If there's neither selling history nor feedback in the B&S Feedback thread, then you've really got to trust who you're dealing with, and having a low post count on this forum only compounds the dangers.

On the other hand, seller's should also be aware of fraud attempts. What protection do you have as a seller?

The answer: not much

Even if you use tracking numbers, a buyer can claim that you sent the wrong item, or a completely different item altogether and make your life a nightmare.

So there's a two way street here. Everyone has to remember that risks as a buyer are high, but I'd argue the risks to selling are even higher.

And that is especially significant considering how many times I've sold to folks on the forum with brand new accounts and less than 100 posts. I don't discriminate based on post counts, but horror stories like this make me leary
teacha.gif

I got my first message today from an ebay buyer claiming he hasn't received his item that I shipped on 28 September to Hungary.

So from now on, I'm putting country restrictions on all new ebay items I list.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo

I got my first message today from an ebay buyer claiming he hasn't received his item that I shipped on 28 September to Hungary.

Its entirely possible that the items hasnt reached him yet. I have 3 packages in transit one of which was sent on 3 Oct and I would not be surprised if it doesnt get here (India) in another 5 days. You must give some credit to the buyer as some anxiety does creep in if the package is not delivered in 20 days.

gbrown_nyc

Reaction score
Happy ending to the story. While the seller never responded to my emails a very, very beat-up box arrived today with the goods as described. I'm glad I didn't out the seller but do wish he'd been able to confirm shipment when asked.

I also promised that I'd report on my experiences with PayPal...surprisingly good. There was a mistake in the way they had handled the transaction and so while it initially appeared as a personal payment some hunting on behalf of the phone agent showed it as a payment for goods/services. At that point the dispute resolution machine turned on. Others have described what happens from this point forward better than I can. I'm now in the process of cancelling the dispute.

Thanks for everybody's input on the situation. Its appreciated.

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gbrown_nyc
Happy ending to the story. While the seller never responded to my emails a very, very beat-up box arrived today with the goods as described. I'm glad I didn't out the seller but do wish he'd been able to confirm shipment when asked.

I also promised that I'd report on my experiences with PayPal...surprisingly good. There was a mistake in the way they had handled the transaction and so while it initially appeared as a personal payment some hunting on behalf of the phone agent showed it as a payment for goods/services. At that point the dispute resolution machine turned on. Others have described what happens from this point forward better than I can. I'm now in the process of cancelling the dispute.

Thanks for everybody's input on the situation. Its appreciated.

Excellent news.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads