• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paypal refund problem

Orange

Reaction score
So I'll break down my problem and see if anyone can help me with refunding.

Scenario:
A forum member purchased an item from me and paid using paypal. When I got the item the color was different and I after I told the buyer of the color difference he decided he didn't want it and wanted a refund. I hit the issue a refund button the same day he asked for it.

Problem:
Paypal takes a fee out when not gifting a purchase. So in this case they took out fee and when I issued a refund, the total amount wasn't there since part of it was taken out in a fee. So they tried to take it from my bank account. Since I moved, the closest branch of the bank I used to use is over an hour away so I more or less use another bank and the original bank has no funds. Paypal failed in their first attempt at taking out the money and 2 days ago Feb 16th the request was delined. They will try again on Monday 21st.

What I'm doing:
I called Paypal (had to hold over 30 minutes for an agent) and explained the situation to them. They told me that they can't speed up the process and once they initiate the withdrawl from the bank account they will have to go through the bank account process another time. However if they fail on the 21st, Paypal will automatically try to withdraw the amount from my Paypal account on the 24th. I have just deposited the additional fee amount into my Paypal account so when they try to draw from it on the 24th it should be fine.

My question:
The buyer is adamant that the process be sped up *&$#@ fast. So what can I do to speed this process up? I can wire money into my old bank account but then there is a $20 fee on one side and another fee on the other side so I don't want to do that. Other options that will make them take it out of my paypal account faster?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have my PP hooked up both to my savings account and to my VISA account... that way even if my balance is Zero, I can alway just put stuff on my CC if i want without taking a week to transfer from my bank account to my PP account or vise-versa.

ie see if you can add your CC as a "backup", then issue refund/send money, when is says ISF in PP account, instead of your savings refer it to your CC.

Orange

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I have my PP hooked up both to my savings account and to my VISA account... that way even if my balance is Zero, I can alway just put stuff on my CC if i want without taking a week to transfer from my bank account to my PP account or vise-versa.

ie see if you can add your CC as a "backup", then issue refund/send money, when is says ISF in PP account, instead of your savings refer it to your CC.

I tried but it won't link to my american express it needs a debit card but since I don't use this bank account, I don't have the debit card associated with it anymore.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orange
I tried but it won't link to my american express it needs a debit card but since I don't use this bank account, I don't have the debit card associated with it anymore.

What? A debit card? I don't think so. If you already have a bank account linked to your paypal account, then I think the only kind of card that they can permit you to link your bank account again to is a Credit card not a Debit card.

Another way of solving the problem is to simply send the buyer money from your paypal and agree with him that when he receives the other amount that is to be debited from your account automatically since it is already in process, then he should just send it back to you.

Or what the hell, he should just wait in there for paypal to do their thing.

And by the way how much are we talking about?

Orange

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jonathan Mills
What? A debit card? I don't think so. If you already have a bank account linked to your paypal account, then I think the only kind of card that they can permit you to link your bank account again to is a Credit card not a Debit card.

Another way of solving the problem is to simply send the buyer money from your paypal and agree with him that when he receives the other amount that is to be debited from your account automatically since it is already in process, then he should just send it back to you.

Or what the hell, he should just wait in there for paypal to do their thing.

And by the way how much are we talking about?

I mean a debit/credit card. Not a pure debit card.

So send him an amount? There would be fees associated with that.

Why does the amount matter? It's in the 4 digits.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute... so paypal can take money from your bank when it feels like it?

Orange

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Wait a minute... so paypal can take money from your bank when it feels like it?

Nope, only if you dont' have enough funds in your paypal account it goes after your bank account.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand this in the first place. Paypal refunds their fee when you refund a buyer. If you had the amount you cleared from the sale in your Paypal account, Paypal should have refunded the fee portion. Ask why they didn't.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
I'm not sure I understand this in the first place. Paypal refunds their fee when you refund a buyer. If you had the amount you cleared from the sale in your Paypal account, Paypal should have refunded the fee portion. Ask why they didn't.

+1 they should not withhold any fee since you are refunding. Call and find out why this is happening. Should be a non-issue

Orange

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
+1 they should not withhold any fee since you are refunding. Call and find out why this is happening. Should be a non-issue

I agree with this and called to as. They return the fee to your account after you refund. Which means that the order is messed up. You pay the full amount + fee to the other party. Afterwards Paypal refunds the fee to your account.

It IS NOT paypal refunds you the fee then the total amount is refunded to the buyer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads