• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paypal New "Buyer Protection"

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
Paypal seems to be offering a new free protection service, where you can get your money back if the item you bought isn't exactly what you ordered...

I remember being left stranded by paypal after a transaction with an unscrupulous seller, are those days now behind us?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The buyer has never had that much risk at Ebay. IMO their new campaign is pointless.

Happydayz

Reaction score
Buyers have always been protected - this is just a marketing gimmick.

Paypal's real problem is seller protection. All an unscrupulous buyer has to do is put in a complaint against paypal and chances are they will get their money refunded. Paypal sides with the buyer in their complaint adjudication process and even shipping receipts and delivery confirmation is often not enough to protect the seller

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Happydayz

Paypal's real problem is seller protection. All an unscrupulous buyer has to do is put in a complaint against paypal and chances are they will get their money refunded. Paypal sides with the buyer in their complaint adjudication process and even shipping receipts and delivery confirmation is often not enough to protect the seller

+1000

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that their pay comes really from a seller, you'd think they'd focus on how to protect the seller. Oh well, feels good to be a buyer
smile.gif

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
This new service is ******* bullshit. They hold your funds in 'escrow' until the item is delivered, you get positive feedback or 21 days pass. This would be ok if any of those terms actually worked, but I have to keep calling up to get funds released (and waiting on hold for 45 minutes - thanks paypal!!).

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
This new service is ******* bullshit. They hold your funds in 'escrow' until the item is delivered, you get positive feedback or 21 days pass. This would be ok if any of those terms actually worked, but I have to keep calling up to get funds released (and waiting on hold for 45 minutes - thanks paypal!!).

Isn't this what bidpay used to do?

Paypal offers little to no protection for sellers.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought delivery confirmation helped sellers.

Happydayz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
I always thought delivery confirmation helped sellers.

And if the buyer claims you sent him an empty package or something filled with crap, then what?

Ultimately it comes down to he-said / she-said even with the best documentation on your end.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And if the buyer claims you sent him an empty package or something filled with crap, then what?

Ultimately it comes down to he-said / she-said even with the best documentation on your end.

Damn.

I'm wondering because I recently bought a package from the US and it didn't arrive even though the seller sent tracking information. The tracking information became "invalid" after about a month after the transaction, seller told me there was a customs problem. I opened a dispute with paypal today.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So wait.......now we have to wait for the item to get delivered/recieve + feedback to get paid??

I just sold a batch of items last week and got the payment ok. Is this recent (within the past few days)?

It's no wonder Paypal and eBay are sister companies, they **** the sellers over and give buyers everything they could ask for and then some.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+6. An unhappy casual buyer can abandon Paypal or eBay easily and that is lost money for eBay/Paypal. An unhappy eBay seller has fewer options and has to keep selling on eBay.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Is there any real competition to Paypal?
If eBay and Paypal keep things up, then there will be. I'm thinking about abandoning eBay and transferring to yahoo e-commerce or some other independent merchant site and using a credit card merchant account for payment handling. I've heard Propay is one of the more well known merchant account companies. Something similar to what Kent Wang has for his PS and cufflinks. Propay recently got the go ahead from eBay but the integration between eBay and Propay is still lacking. Manual data entry for addresses and mailing labels can be a huge pain ********** for Propay users. But hopefully that will be fixed and competition will lower rates.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man I just realised how easy it is for a buyer to scam a seller.

I bought 4 pocketsquares from a guy in the US, and he shipped it First Class (which doesnt have any delivery confirmation) and realised all I needed to do is submit a claim into paypal and I'd get my money back.

Now its only USPS Global Express that is covered by Paypal. Really sucks.

Scammers disgust me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads