• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paypal Disputes

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recently purchased something online that turned out to be a fake and the seller is giving me a hard time about it. I'm considering elevating the claim with Paypal. What has your experience been with the service? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
I recently purchased something online that turned out to be a fake and the seller is giving me a hard time about it. I'm considering elevating the claim with Paypal. What has your experience been with the service? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Paypal nearly always sides with the buyer, so you are in luck.

I am involved in a dispute right now. The shoes I sold were used, and delivered in exactly the same condition as my description and photos showed. The buyer left positive feedback saying the item was exactly as described, then filed a paypal claim 2 weeks later saying the shoes weren't as described, and that they didn't fit him (the fit issue is probably his reason for the dispute, and buyer is using 'condition' as an excuse). I have a feeling that despite all this, paypal will probably side with the buyer.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I would elevate it Bill if you are not getting results. I would place negative feedback as well if you can.

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Paypal nearly always sides with the buyer, so you are in luck.

I am involved in a dispute right now. The shoes I sold were used, and delivered in exactly the same condition as my description and photos showed. The buyer left positive feedback saying the item was exactly as described, then filed a paypal claim 2 weeks later saying the shoes weren't as described, and that they didn't fit him (the fit issue is probably his reason for the dispute, and buyer is using 'condition' as an excuse). I have a feeling that despite all this, paypal will probably side with the buyer.

Sorry to hear about your situation. This case involves clearly a fake item, how does paypal handle the process? Do they ask to see the item, etc?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I would elevate it Bill if you are not getting results. I would place negative feedback as well if you can.

Sorry to hear of your trouble.

I probably would cause a stir but it was a $900 purchase.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you don't miss the timeframe. Also, beware of buyers taking their time responding... I had TWO take so long that I was no longer eligible for a refund. I am not convinced frankly that this was not intentional. BASTARDS!

P.s.
Bill, I would HIGHLY recommend that you take a printout (or even better save the page as a PDF) of the auction before eBay or especially the seller remove it. It will help you to press your case if there was some sort of misrepresentation.

Edit:
I should mention that the one case involved an item that I returned then never got a refund for it.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
ooohh lord.,.. paypal paypal.

the necessary evil for the honest seller like me and others to do a little business with shoes.

i have stopped ebay altogether (besides the occasional purchase) because ebay and paypal just makes me sick to my stomach.

there is absolutely no protection for the seller whatsoever, and no matter what you report or show proof to their "investigation dept" the buyer most likely will always win. or if they dont they will go to their cc company and they will force payment, but as
always, paypal will never challenge it and just comply to any c..c. company's wishes.
i have never been anything but an honest seller, even refunding certain dollar differences to buyers who dont even know, because im honest,
and let me tell you, there are tons of buyers out there who willingly try to defraud .

and paypal's incompetent high school dropouts will always side with buyer cuz it is convenient. i mean , there is the occasional buyer is right, and essentially that all gets worked out between them and me. just a quick call or email and we get it fixed between honest buyer and seller. im talking about the criminal buyer.
sick of paypal , sick of ebay (selling of course)

im just lucky i m not selling jewelry/watches/cars/and computers on ebay, fraudulent buyers flourish those arenas even more.

Lysol

Reaction score
I have been an eBay Power Seller for many years and have quite a bit of experience with eBay and PayPal and situations like this.

Like someone said, PayPal almost always sides with the buyer but it's usually in the case of non-delivery. If a seller can't provide proof that the item was delievered (tracking number, delivery confirmation, etc.) to the buyer, 100% of the time PayPal will refund the buyer. However, in cases of "item not as described" or as in your case, imitation merchandise, PayPal has shown itself to be quite wishy-washy. Short of going to an official retailer with your fake item and having them sign a statement that say that the item you recieved is indeed fake PayPal is not likely to refund you. Cases of "item sufficiently different than described" are even harder for the buyer to prove and usually result in a claim being denied. Not too long ago I purchased a Dolce & Gabbana mainline suit from a seller who claimed that it was a black suit as described despite his pictures making the suit looking medium gray. Sure enough, I recieve the suit and it is indeed gray and with a closet full of gray suits I had no use for it. The seller refused to refund me and PayPal denied my claim as well. Anyone want to buy a suit?
bored.gif

My advice to you in this situation is that if you used your credit card through PayPal file the claim with your credit card company, not PayPal. They're much more ruthless and have almost a no questions asked policy regarding customer disputes. Everyone should follow this advice. PayPal does everything in it's power to have you use the "Instant Bank Transfer" option when sending payment. Don't listen to them, it's in their best interest that you do so, not yours. Use your debit card or credit card through PayPal. Visa, MasterCard and AmEx will all take much better of your than PayPal. In fact, a few years back, PayPal had a class action lawsuit filed against them for their poor performace protecting buyers.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Not too long ago I purchased a Dolce & Gabbana mainline suit from a seller who claimed that it was a black suit as described despite his pictures making the suit looking medium gray. Sure enough, I recieve the suit and it is indeed gray and with a closet full of gray suits I had no use for it. The seller refused to refund me and PayPal denied my claim as well. Anyone want to buy a suit?
bored.gif
i thought that above was funny because of the smiley.

In fact, a few years back, PayPal had a class action lawsuit filed against them for their poor performace protecting buyers.
it looks about due to have a class action lawsuit against them for their poor performance in protecting sellers now too.
i should not be out my $200 , and i still hope one day i will open a mail with a check and a letter by paypal saying how sorry they were for not looking deeper into the matter.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paypal does not always protect the buyer. I have been defrauded several times buying items on eBay. The only time I got my money back was through a complaint with my CC company. The other times, Paypal only got some money back and charged their stupid ******* fee on top. Payal is a monopoly, so you're SOL unless you go directly to your CC company. For this reason, I'll never fund a Paypal payment through my bank. It will always be funded with Amex.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Paypal does not always protect the buyer. I have been defrauded several times buying items on eBay. The only time I got my money back was through a complaint with my CC company. The other times, Paypal only got some money back and charged their stupid ******* fee on top.

Payal is a monopoly, so you're SOL unless you go directly to your CC company. For this reason, I'll never fund a Paypal payment through my bank. It will always be funded with Amex.

yes, not only did they took my 200 away AND the criminal has my expensive shoes,
they put salt on the wound by charging me 10 more f**ing dollars as well.
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of about 100 eBay purchases, I've had only four issues. Two were for inconsequental amounts - I just left negative feedback rather than build up the travel miles points for the shoddy merchandise. One I returned to the seller for a refund - it was bad merchandise but not so much his fault. The last was a bit tougher. Merchandise was not as described so I returned it. Seller was not inclined to make a refund. PayPal resolved it in my favor but did require proof of delivery back to the seller.

One thing I did not like is that I only got ONE chance to explain my side of the story. I did win, but I later thought of additional information that I would like to have included in the dispute claim. Get your documentation together and think clearly about what you want to write - remember it is only one chance. If you send the stuff back, be sure to get a proof of delivery. Mine was relatively cheap compared to yours for $900. My guess is that you will win the claim. The seller then has the merchandise - what is his problem? He is exactly where he was before the auction. He is out some listing time, you are out some shipping costs - not perfect but reasonably fair.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
it looks about due to have a class action lawsuit against them for their poor performance in protecting sellers now too.

believe me, i feel your pain. i'm actually in the process of selling my business and will be completely shut down by the end of the year. never having to deal with ebay and paypal again on any sort of elevated level than some thrifty purchases is like the light at the end of the tunnel.

their customer service really for both buyers and sellers really does read like a high school scantron test where you check one of three options that relates to your problem and it MUST fit into one of those three. we've dealt with credit card disputes where we have a calm, well trained rep. call us up and deal with everything and both sides end up happy. calling paypal is like calling the cable company or dell support.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I fit into one of the "exceptions" to the Paypal always siding with the buyer rule.

I bought a pair of Asics sneakers on Ebay. They never arrived. The seller had a confirmation that the package had been delivered. I photocopied and submitted the sign-in sheet for all packages into the building showing the package had NOT been delivered. Nevertheless Paypal sided with the seller, becasue she had confirmation that the package was delivered.

This story, however, does have a happy ending. The package randomly showed up FIVE months later. I'm not kidding. Showed up postmarked from five months earlier. I have no idea what had happened to it in the interim. Crazy.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The package randomly showed up FIVE months later. I'm not kidding. Showed up postmarked from five months earlier. I have no idea what had happened to it in the interim. Crazy.
Yikes, that's horrible. Maybe someone was breaking them in.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads