• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paypal Dispute and Return

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were a seller of an item worth more than $250. A buyer gets the item, files a claim against me and then ships back an empty box with tracking (provided to paypal) to me. Will I lose both my sales and my goods? Is the seller screwed?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
If I were a seller of an item worth more than $250. A buyer gets the item, files a claim against me and then ships back an empty box with tracking (provided to paypal) to me. Will I lose both my sales and my goods? Is the seller screwed?

As far as Paypal is concerned, yes.

Your option is pretty much limited to calling the cops where the guy lives and report it as stolen property.

bkk

Reaction score
I had a similar experience with Paypal several years ago. I sold a laptop and sent it to the winner. After it was sent, they filed a claim with Paypal saying I failed to send the laptop. Paypal gave the money back to the winner, who kept the laptop. Contacting the police and Paypal yielded nothing. Luckily enough, I deleted all connections to bank accounts from Paypal, and I never had to give the money back (although I received tons of emails threatening me).

Paypal is notorious for siding with buyers.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
this is one of the main reasons why i do not want to use or work with Paypal. their seller protection does absolutely nothing in protecting you.

you can go by everything on the conditions to qualify protection:

1)$250+ merchandise shipped within 7 days of receipt of payment
2)signature confirmation trackable delivery
3)packed accordingly to their parameters.
4)accept only CONFIRMED ADDRESS

even so, i had one person purchase a pair of santoni shoes back in 2006 when i first started ebay.

he claimed it never was received, he filed a paypal dispute, and paypal actually sided with me, because he accidentally filed it under "received significantly different from description" (i wonder if they would have sided with me if he filed it right).

but 2 months later, he filed a charge back through his credit card company, and paypal subsequently pulled out the money from my paypal account

and to kick me while i was down, they tagged a 10 dollar fee for the chargeback.

absolutely ridiculous. after all the talking to paypal and writing emails, it amounted to nothing and i had no way to counter that chargeback. they won't let me have his credit card company info or the file case number to make my defense.

so i was out of a pair of 200 dollar shoes, and the money, and 10 dollars on top of it. i havent been scammed since, but that surely left a sour taste in my mouth regarding paypal and ebay that lasted even up to today.

the paypal seller protection should protect a seller if they did everything according to the conditions of the protection, and if the chargeback happens, and the seller is at no fault, Paypal should cover the costs.

they dont.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads